What to wear to work during the 7 weeks of radiation

Options
2»

Comments

• NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options

I started getting red and irritated my first day so I could not wear a bra ether. I got some 'reusable silicone gel petals' from target. They are...to quote the box "for a smooth look with or without a bra" they were around $9.00 and you can wear them over and over. I love them and would not feel comfortable going out in public without them.
    Hope this helps :)

thats a new one
    sunshine0406...thats a new one. I will try to find those to see if they work for me. It's also good to see the tshirt under the loose bra idea. I was thinking I might try that. And since so many of you have done it, it must work. Thanks for all the ideas. No redness so far...but it's only 3 days. And I just found out there are 8 boosters at the end so that should be fun. Thanks again ladies. Hope this helped others too.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

thats a new one
    sunshine0406...thats a new one. I will try to find those to see if they work for me. It's also good to see the tshirt under the loose bra idea. I was thinking I might try that. And since so many of you have done it, it must work. Thanks for all the ideas. No redness so far...but it's only 3 days. And I just found out there are 8 boosters at the end so that should be fun. Thanks again ladies. Hope this helped others too.

When you get your boosters,
    When you get your boosters, they are only to the tumor site, so, the rest of the area that has been getting rads will start to clear up. It is amazing how quickly it will.

3 down! Congrats on that!

Leeza
  • QuiltingMama123
    QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    I was lucky that my
    I was lucky that my treatments were in the winter and that I am not very well endowed (never thought that was lucky before, but...)I found that regular cotton t-shirts irritated the skin, too. So, I purchased some cuddle-duds. They are silky t-shirts you can get at Macy's or on-line. (Just google "cuddle-duds." The material is moisture wicking, so it should be comfy in the summer, too. I got mine a size smaller than I would normally wear to support the "girls." Hope it helps!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    skipper54 said:

soft baggy shirts
    I just finished rads 3 weeks ago so was going through this during cold weather and could wear my t-shirt under a loose sweatshirt. I DID burn in the last days so haave been going bra-less or putting mu t-shirt under my bra as the blisters weep and get things wet. It looks a little funny but most people don't see that. Now that warmer weather is on the horizon I'll have to figure something else out until everything dries up.

If you can wear soft
    If you can wear soft clothing that fits loosely, that would be the best. Or, wear a really soft bra if you think you can stand it.

Hugs, Jan
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

I wore the t-shirt under a bra
    I bought some soft bras in a larger-than-usual size and a supply of sleeveless men's undershirts (thanks to Traci's suggestion) and wore the tank top under the bra.

Since they used magic marker at first, I was glad I had the t-shirt or the bra's would have been ruined.

For me, it seemed to help to have some support to keep the skin under the breast from getting too moist.

I wore camisoles under most
    I wore camisoles under most tops when I went out and then I found a really soft sports bra to wear. Usually always baggy, as, I didn't want anything touching my chest.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Barb A said:

I wore a tank top
    I wore a tank top or camisole with a built in "bra". I topped them off with a dress jacket for work. Toward the end I just wore the tank top (without the built in) and jacket

Loose clothing, big tops and
    Loose clothing, big tops and sometimes I wore a bra. I never burnt with rads, so, I could wear a bra.

Good luck with rads and work!

HUGS!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Mrs. Gadget makes a good point!
    I can't remember the last time I wore a dress or skirt, so I don't think about this....but yes, if you'll be going to or coming from work at your rads appointment every day, you'll probably be more comfortable in pants and a top rather than a dress or skirt.

Most rad centers only ask you to undress from the waist up, so it's easier if you can just pull off your top....and, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not coordinated enough to get on and off that table in a skirt without showing the rad techs more than they're already seeing!

:-) Traci

Pants and a loose fitting
    Pants and a loose fitting blouse would work. Like Traci said, you only take off your top when you go to rads.
  • Mariangel43
    Mariangel43 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    radiation prep

Hi, people, I was just reading on how you are coping with the radiation therapy.  I will be evaluated next Tuesday but I was recently operated and the onc told me that radiation would start after a month.  My arm and what was left of the breast is too painful.  I don't think I will let anyone mark me with a permanent tattoo ink. No way Jose.  I hate needles and the area is painful to touch.  I will follow your suggestion about clothing except that even though in Puerto Rico we have a hot weather, I get sick at the hospital because air conditioning units are on high (62 or less) and I do not tolerate well cold weather or temperatures. 

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Evaluation does not mean treatment right away

Don't be nervous about treatment beginning while you are still sore.  I went to see the radiation oncologist about a month after my surgery.  We sat for 3 hours going over what was already done in treatment and what she expected to do with radiation.  She herself said that I probably was there too soon, and we made a second appointment for a month after that.  At first I thought, "another delay". But in retrospect, it allowed me to absorb the next step and find out what needed to be arranged for when it actually began.

Please tell them about your feelings about the tatoos.  Really, they are just dots placed there.  It felt no more painful than a vaccine shot, only quicker - just a split second.  They may be able to numb it a little, or the RO may be able to prescribe a mild dose to help you with your nerves.

Kathy

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I HAD NO side

Thankfully I HAD NO side effects of radiation. NO burning, itching etc. I hope  you follow in my footsteps.

I went on my lunch hour daily-

Denise

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Camisole

I found some camisoles with built in bras, sort of like in some swim suits.  They really didn't do anything in terms of support, but I felt better wearing them vs. a cami without that extra layer.  One day, a friend went with me to radiation and I said "I hope no one can tell I'm not wearing a bra".  Her response:  "Suzanne, at our age no one looks at our boobs anymore anyway!"  Well, that sort of put things into perspective for me.

Suzanne

• Loose Comfortable Clothing

I received my radiation during the summer months...so hot was it then, that the center called and canceled treatments more than once....it kind of felt like a snow day!

Anyway, I decided to wear something quick to remove and quick to back get on.  I swear it took more time walking in, undressing and redressing than to get my treatments.  Most important to me was that I would come right home, take a quick shower and liberally slather Aquaphor on the radiated area.  I would then slip into a sultry sloppy sweatshirt and commence my evening activities, binge watching and waiting for my tastebuds to return.  I even slept in the damn thing.  

Just make yourself comfortable.  

Best wishes Mariangel43

• viviguqing
    viviguqing Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Minimally invasive therapy for breast cancer

hi, sorry to hear from your story, i know the new cancer treatment have a good effect in breast cancer, like cyotherapy, immuotherpy, nano knife therapy.  chemotherapy and radiation have so much side effect.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I wore the same clothes , as

I wore the same clothes , as always. I was very fortunate-I had no burning or side effects. I used samele cream i was given at the cancer center.

Best of luck....

• CoastalMom
    CoastalMom Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2016 #36
    Options
    Easy to Wear

I had radiation back in March and I wore T-shirts.  Easy on and easy off.  Very quick.  They got me in and out.  I used Aquaphor healing ointment and never burned at all.  No problems with radiation.  My skin looks really good!!  Good luck to you.  I hope you do as well as I did.

• LindenLea
    LindenLea Member Posts: 22
    Options
    I did not have any burning

I did not have any burning during radiation. When I got home from the treatment, I sat on my bed with a bowl of water with ice cubes in it and a washcloth. I soaked the washcloth in the icy cold water, wrung it out, and applied the cold cloth to my breast. I held it there until the cloth warmed up, then dipped in ice water again, and repeated this process until the water became lukewarm. Took about an hour every day. A small allotment of time to COMPLETELY avoid any burns at all. After I was done with the ice water routine, I put on the lotion that the doctor gave me. Then a tank top over that. No bra for a while. I got the tip about the ice water from the friend of a friend who went through radiation. Neither my surgeon, my oncologist, not my radiation oncologist could believer how good my skin looked-- no redness and no darkening. Might work for you. Very cheap, too. Cool

• Mariangel43
    edited September 2016 #38
    Options
    Teach76 said:

Evaluation does not mean treatment right away

Don't be nervous about treatment beginning while you are still sore.  I went to see the radiation oncologist about a month after my surgery.  We sat for 3 hours going over what was already done in treatment and what she expected to do with radiation.  She herself said that I probably was there too soon, and we made a second appointment for a month after that.  At first I thought, "another delay". But in retrospect, it allowed me to absorb the next step and find out what needed to be arranged for when it actually began.

Please tell them about your feelings about the tatoos.  Really, they are just dots placed there.  It felt no more painful than a vaccine shot, only quicker - just a split second.  They may be able to numb it a little, or the RO may be able to prescribe a mild dose to help you with your nerves.

Kathy

The problem here is the

The problem here is the attitude of the RO. After she evaluated me she sent me to the PS to get the implant. I did. But I told the PS to stop the final phase of reconstruction to avoid damage on the implant. I requested an appointment with the RO because I will be leaving the center soon. I want to change the place because I cannot afford it. Tomorrow I will be there to see other options (donations,). Anyway I don't think I will die soon if I skip one more month of rad.

• Mariangel43
    Options
    LindenLea, I thought ice

LindenLea, I thought ice could burn me more.  I hope my RT are during the afternoons.  I can't figure out myself working after a burning session.

Kathy (Teach76), I have to say the pentagram in your logo is so cute.  I love music and I find it very appropriate. Thanks for the information.  Take care, bye.