Problems with the Mouth??

DJG1
DJG1 Member Posts: 121
I know this is a common topic, but I would like ask about some mouth problems I am having at the 6 mo post treatment (Surgery&Rads). My tongue and insides of my cheeks are so swollen, that I have indentations in my tongue where it lays in my bottom teeth formation. I have several bumps on my cheeks, almost like where my cheek is pressing on my upper teeth and creating a swelling at the teeth indentation (in-between the teeth). They are not open wounds, just swelled spots, like a bee sting??? This is the best I can describe, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I had one last time I was at the ENT and showed him. He said all look ok. Does the swelling ever go down, or is this a life time change? I have been gargling with baking soda/salt every since I started radiation. I do this a minimum of 3-4 times a day. I just recently added peroxide to the solution. I have also tried the l-glutamine, which gives me diarrhea. Sorry to be so descriptive. Can anyone relate and have any suggestions. Thanks,
Debbie

Comments

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    can relate 100 percent
    I suspect yours is still related to the radiation and will get somewhat better. It does however seem to have lasting effects to some degrees. Perhaps it is related to the amount of weight loss or maybe not at all, I don't know. I lost around 40 lbs but think it is more related to the radiation.

I am having the exact problem with my inside cheeks which are totally engulfing my back teeth to the point where I sometimes pinch some skin in a bite. It is annoying at best and seems to be here to stay around 21 months post treatment.

There is a previous discussion , search "thickening of cheeks" and you will find it. I tried linking to it but could not.
  • DJG1
    DJG1 Member Posts: 121
    ratface said:

can relate 100 percent
    I suspect yours is still related to the radiation and will get somewhat better. It does however seem to have lasting effects to some degrees. Perhaps it is related to the amount of weight loss or maybe not at all, I don't know. I lost around 40 lbs but think it is more related to the radiation.

I am having the exact problem with my inside cheeks which are totally engulfing my back teeth to the point where I sometimes pinch some skin in a bite. It is annoying at best and seems to be here to stay around 21 months post treatment.

There is a previous discussion , search "thickening of cheeks" and you will find it. I tried linking to it but could not.

Thanks
    Thanks Ratface for the information. It is good to know that this is just another one of the many "lasting effects". I also lost about 40 lbs, but think it is radiation residue like you. I will continue to look for the thead "thickening of the cheeks". Maybe Sweets can give some direction. Thanks again
    Debbie
  • tonyb
    tonyb Member Posts: 69
    I have thickening of the
    I have thickening of the tissues inside of my cheeks. more so on one side than the other.
    In my case, i think that it was swelling, during my treatment that caused the inside of my cheeks to grow into that shape. It is not painfull at all, nor does it get irritated, it just is, so it doesn't bother me. not sure if thats what you have there or not, just something for comparison. Tonyb
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    tonyb said:

I have thickening of the
    I have thickening of the tissues inside of my cheeks. more so on one side than the other.
    In my case, i think that it was swelling, during my treatment that caused the inside of my cheeks to grow into that shape. It is not painfull at all, nor does it get irritated, it just is, so it doesn't bother me. not sure if thats what you have there or not, just something for comparison. Tonyb

Deb
    I am sorry to say that I have no experience with this. Apologies.

That has got to be really annoying.
  • laurabeau
    laurabeau Member Posts: 40
    Jaw constriction

My husband was treated with heavy doses of radiation to neck/jaw area and 4 surgery of recurring Cancer. He is now on chemo for lung cancer. He is having jaw pain and constriction of jaw which makes it difficult to eat. Has anyone had that issue? Is there a web site or additional exercises to treat this problem? 

laurabeau

• thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    laurabeau said:

Jaw constriction

My husband was treated with heavy doses of radiation to neck/jaw area and 4 surgery of recurring Cancer. He is now on chemo for lung cancer. He is having jaw pain and constriction of jaw which makes it difficult to eat. Has anyone had that issue? Is there a web site or additional exercises to treat this problem? 

laurabeau

I have some swelling still

I have some swelling still and it's been almost a year.My surgen says it's pretty normal from the surgery and radaition treatments.We are waiting for it to go down so he can send me to his denist to make up custom teeth.But since I had part of the tounge removed and a flap from my thigh put in can see why the swelling.Some days seem to be more then others.As my doctor everything takes time.