If You Could Turn Back Time

Options
2»

Comments

• jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    If i could turn back
    If i could turn back time....well i think im pretty happy with most of my decisions but i would change a few small things...like you i would have exercised more thru treatments to avoid my frozen shoulder and tryin to keep my weight under control during treatment so i didnt turn into a mushy blob like the pilsbury dough boy!!!!!!
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    So far, so good!
    I am more or less at the beginning of the journey. I took 2 weeks off after having my lumpectomy and node dissection. That was a wise move. It allowed me to be fully rested up. I had been working two jobs for many years prior to diagnosis. Needless to say, now one job will have to do.
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    change anything?
    I am very happy I made the decision to have a bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction. One thing I would do differently is I would have gone to the doctor sooner when I found the lump instead of waiting to see if it would go away as other cysts had done through the years. It didn't spread to lympe nodes but it was invasive DC. Had I reacted sooner maybe it would have not been invasive. I was just scared and thought it would go away. Otherwise I have no regrets.
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    To All the Pink Sisters,

Thank you so much for all your responses to my post. It was interesting to note that most of you are happy with the decisions you made during the bc journey. Hopefully all our doctors are steering us in the right direction. My oncologist is fond of saying: Your trajectory is on the way up!
  • csr771
    csr771 Member Posts: 117
    Options

To All the Pink Sisters,

Thank you so much for all your responses to my post. It was interesting to note that most of you are happy with the decisions you made during the bc journey. Hopefully all our doctors are steering us in the right direction. My oncologist is fond of saying: Your trajectory is on the way up!

If I could turn back time I would have had regular mammograms. I did not have one for four years and when I did, the cancer was found. Of course, no one knows how long it was there but maybe I could have had a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy. Other than that I think I have made good choices. I did not choose the first breast surgeon or plastic surgeon recommended. I went with the ones that felt "right" for me. I did decide to have immediate reconstruction and that was definitely the right choice for me. I have decided not to have chemo and will be doing hormone therapy. I was on Arimidex for two weeks and decided that the side effects were to harsh so I am now trying Tamoxifin. So far, so good. This is a journey -- one choice at a time -- one day at a time -- one step at a time. I am trying to make the best decisions so that I can live my life as best as I can right now and in the future!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    csr771 said:

If I could turn back time I would have had regular mammograms. I did not have one for four years and when I did, the cancer was found. Of course, no one knows how long it was there but maybe I could have had a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy. Other than that I think I have made good choices. I did not choose the first breast surgeon or plastic surgeon recommended. I went with the ones that felt "right" for me. I did decide to have immediate reconstruction and that was definitely the right choice for me. I have decided not to have chemo and will be doing hormone therapy. I was on Arimidex for two weeks and decided that the side effects were to harsh so I am now trying Tamoxifin. So far, so good. This is a journey -- one choice at a time -- one day at a time -- one step at a time. I am trying to make the best decisions so that I can live my life as best as I can right now and in the future!

To go back in time
    I wouldn't change anything. I fought to win, and I did.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    interesting post
    I for one would not change any of the treatment or surgeries I received after I was dx. I believe the treatments I received were a good part of why I am still here. I truly did not care (personally thing) for my rad doc but he was top notch and he did a good job and he explained everything in detail.

Thanks for asking such a thought provoking question.

RE
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    With triple neg IBC, I had
    With triple neg IBC, I had almost no options. My onc presented one path... aggressive chemo then mastectomy (no reconstruction for a year) then aggressive rads. So my only real choice was bilateral or just left, and so far I'm happy with the bilateral.

If I'd told the rads onc that I wanted chemo once a day rather than twice a day he would've done it. So I guess that was a choice as well, but as hard as it was I wouldn't change it.

My thought has always been 'the cancer is so aggressive, I'm going to be aggressive right back!!' I don't ever want to look back and think I could've/should've/would've done more. I even asked the onc about more chemo between surgery and rads...he said I've had all I can.

I maybe would have accepted more of the free stuff available on line. But probably not.

Good discussion, thank you.

Hugs,

Linda