Spicey Food or things that burn my mouth...

Options
2»

Comments

• sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    minty01 said:

Hi
    Hi LIltexlady

I am in agreement with everyone else as to everyone is different but no one explains why! The reason everyone is different some take longer some sooner than later is because we all are probably having different dose and treatment levels . i had this fear and got into depression , saw my consultant who assured me in time my taste will come back due to the fact i was having a relatively small dose , i am
    two days out of treatment can only eat weetabix , ommelette or frosties , have not found a drink yet that tastes normal even water tastes salty ! i too love my curries and spicy food so i am hoping like you and im trusting my consultant that i will get that back.

God Bless and good luck

Ian

minty01
    Everything tasted very salty for me too. At first, sweet things were better for me, and i used to hate sweet stuff. I never thought that salty thing would go away, its so much better now tho, plus I have learned to cook around it.
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Options
    Larla said:

Hot foods
    I am nineteen months post treatment for NPC. I had radiation and chemo concurrently.I was very sick and relied on my feeding tube completely until about two months after.I could not tolerate anything spicey or acidic until about six months after treatment.I enjoy all foods now and I only have trouble with certain meats and breads being too dry.Just
    keep trying new foods every week and you'll be surprised how you can tolerate them again.
    Good luck.
    Laura

L Glutamine
    Hi Liltex,

I second Sweets commentr re L-Glutamine. It help to heal the mucosa (all tisue from your mouth to your butt).

Get the powder tyoe. I now buy a 1000g (1kg or 2lb) drum and top up to a smaller tub I keep in the kitchen. I have a large tablespoon in my nutrient shake every morning (poured on fruit & cereal).

It also helps muscle tissue repair among other things. You can swish and definitely swallow the stuff. It had a topical effect to sooth any burning fomr foods, and then internally does all the other stuff.

I am over 18 mths out now and while I can't do heavy hot spicy foods, I can do a very mild curry, and most other normal foods that used to burn like hell. My taste is not fully recovered but most fresh and raw foods taste good now.

I have about 20% saliva back which OK in the day but a bit annoying at night. Better than what I was facing so I can live with that.

Hope this helps.

Scam