Anyone stopped taking post cancer med ? and not start different one?

Options
2»

Comments

• lafera12
    lafera12 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    post meds
    Good morning...
    I started on Arimidex, switched to Femara and now on Aromasin...
    There is only one left that I can take and that's Tomoxafin.
    Really don't want to take that one. They all have different side
    effects but so far the Aromasin is the best one for me.

Angie
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    lafera12 said:

post meds
    Good morning...
    I started on Arimidex, switched to Femara and now on Aromasin...
    There is only one left that I can take and that's Tomoxafin.
    Really don't want to take that one. They all have different side
    effects but so far the Aromasin is the best one for me.

Angie

angie:
    SINCE I was just taken off tamox. tomorrow I go to both my oncologists. I am not sure what will be suggested> I asked my long time trusted gyno and he said to try what ever she suggests...meaning do NOT GO WITHOUT any post treatment meds!

so I"LL see what the new side effects will be..

Denise
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options

angie:
    SINCE I was just taken off tamox. tomorrow I go to both my oncologists. I am not sure what will be suggested> I asked my long time trusted gyno and he said to try what ever she suggests...meaning do NOT GO WITHOUT any post treatment meds!

so I"LL see what the new side effects will be..

Denise

OK I have a stupid question...
    Everyone keeps saying they are having awful side effects but not what those are. I've been taking tamoxifen for just a few weeks and the only thing I notice so far is mild hot flashes, which for me, at 54, is probably going to happen anyway. What are the awful things you all are having trouble with?
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

Everyone keeps saying they are having awful side effects but not what those are. I've been taking tamoxifen for just a few weeks and the only thing I notice so far is mild hot flashes, which for me, at 54, is probably going to happen anyway. What are the awful things you all are having trouble with?

NJ Mom
    the only se my sister had from Tamoxifen was hot flashes. A couple of years later she did have a cyst removed in her uterus.
    Char
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

I was on femara then anastrozole
    Here's my side effects from femera:
    Joint pain – right hip and sometimes knee - trouble getting up and walking, climbing stairs, getting into and out of the expedition
    Constipation
    Hot flashes - incendiary
    Memory loss – short-term memory was shot
    Sadness/anger at the drop of a hat – actually wanted to throw things when angry
    Shortness of breath
    Chest pain
    Trouble eating/heartburn/
    Dizziness
    Blurred vision/vision changes
    Headaches
    Weight gain – 10 lbs +
    Fatigue
    Neuropathy
    Trigger thumb

From anastrozole all I had was shortness of breath so bad I couldn't walk 10 feet.

I've just decided I'll take my chances.

marge
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    KathiM said:

I'm scheduling an appointment with my onc....
    It's a bit different situation for me....I've taken Tamoxifen for 5 years, come the end of June. Research shows that I need to come off of it.

As far as our last conversation, my onc and I decided no more. The AI's improve my chances of no cancer by 1%. But, the main side effects....bone thinning and higher cholesterol (both of which I already have...sigh) are not good. So, I'm planning, after hearing if there is any new research, to start flying without a net...no more drugs...

BUT, I must also say, I had a total hysterectomy, and I am 55 years young. So the amount of estrogen in my system anyway (the thing these drugs combat to prevent ER/PR positive breast cancer, which I had) is very low...and I watch how much soy I eat (natural source of estrogen...some bad) and manage my remaining hot flashes with ice...lol...not natural estrogen products like black cohosh...

Listen to your onc...that's what I am doing!

Hugs, Kathi

Kathi, I'm in the same boat!
    It's been 5 years and I see my Onc in June as well to decide whether enough is enough. I too, have had a total hyterectomy. I'm 51.

I'm on the fence about it though. After all these years of taking a drug, it'll be like going cold turkey.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options

I was on femara then anastrozole
    Here's my side effects from femera:
    Joint pain – right hip and sometimes knee - trouble getting up and walking, climbing stairs, getting into and out of the expedition
    Constipation
    Hot flashes - incendiary
    Memory loss – short-term memory was shot
    Sadness/anger at the drop of a hat – actually wanted to throw things when angry
    Shortness of breath
    Chest pain
    Trouble eating/heartburn/
    Dizziness
    Blurred vision/vision changes
    Headaches
    Weight gain – 10 lbs +
    Fatigue
    Neuropathy
    Trigger thumb

From anastrozole all I had was shortness of breath so bad I couldn't walk 10 feet.

I've just decided I'll take my chances.

marge

Wow Marge so sorry for all you have been through
    Sorry to hear about all you have been through. It's no wonder you have decided not to go with this treatment plan. Treatment is supposed to help us not hurt us so it seems to me you have certainly made the right decision for you.
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

Wow Marge so sorry for all you have been through
    Sorry to hear about all you have been through. It's no wonder you have decided not to go with this treatment plan. Treatment is supposed to help us not hurt us so it seems to me you have certainly made the right decision for you.

almost 2 mths without any meds
    until onolcogist and gyno come up with game plan-gyno is now contacting oncologist/gyno to get his opinion!

I call Thursday to find out..

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

almost 2 mths without any meds
    until onolcogist and gyno come up with game plan-gyno is now contacting oncologist/gyno to get his opinion!

I call Thursday to find out..

Denise

2 more days I call back
    To see what My gyno and his call to a oncolo/ gyno has in store for me as game plan of what to do...this waiting (2mths now) getting old quickly...

Denise
  • amyd1971
    amyd1971 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

thank you for all the helpful posts! I’ve been taking Femera for a short time, 7 months, and I have had the following side effects:

hot flashes, insomnia, mild neuropathy in hands, blurred vision, heartburn, constipation, short term memory loss, joint pain, general aches in legs, and weight gain (+9lbs). I still have my ovaries but am post-menopausal at 51. I was diagnosed with HR+ Her2- breast cancer a year ago.

Not sure Femora is right for me. Not Happy with my current oncologist, hoping to change at next appointment in 6 weeks.