Organ Donors??

Options
2»

Comments

• skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

I specifically asked my own med onc...
    (long ago) ... about both blood and organ donations. His reply was an emphatic: no. Not at all. Not ever.

Interesting that there are variances in information here. To be on the safe side, I'll choose to follow my own doctor's instructions.

Kind regards, Susan

another answer
    I just got home from my onc apointment. Asked him about organ donation because of license icon. He said maybe in 10 years cancer free. He wasn't sure if it was a lifetime "no" or not. Guess we're not the only ones who aren't sure. Ii know the Red Cross pulled my info when I told them I was in treatment. The implication was blood donor never again. I may ask when I'm a few years out since I was 80% E+.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I was told only the eyes
    I was told only the eyes (cornea) too. My brother died of bladder cancer and he could only donate his eyes.

A funny little story, he was joking that when he goes to make sure they send his glasses to save the recipient a trip to the eye doctor. So the morning after he passed his son came down the steps and was carrying his dads glasses and laughing. My sister in law asked where he was going and he said he and his brother were dropping off his glasses at the funeral home! They did and came back and said when they told them the story that the director just cracked up!

But someone got the gift of sight and my brother I am sure got a good laugh out of it also!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

I specifically asked my own med onc...
    (long ago) ... about both blood and organ donations. His reply was an emphatic: no. Not at all. Not ever.

Interesting that there are variances in information here. To be on the safe side, I'll choose to follow my own doctor's instructions.

Kind regards, Susan

My oncologist had told me no
    My oncologist had told me no also to both, blood and organ donations.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    camul said:

I was told only the eyes
    I was told only the eyes (cornea) too. My brother died of bladder cancer and he could only donate his eyes.

A funny little story, he was joking that when he goes to make sure they send his glasses to save the recipient a trip to the eye doctor. So the morning after he passed his son came down the steps and was carrying his dads glasses and laughing. My sister in law asked where he was going and he said he and his brother were dropping off his glasses at the funeral home! They did and came back and said when they told them the story that the director just cracked up!

But someone got the gift of sight and my brother I am sure got a good laugh out of it also!

WHAT a WONDERFUL story!!!!
    It made me smile!!!

Thank you, thank you!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

WHAT a WONDERFUL story!!!!
    It made me smile!!!

Thank you, thank you!!!!

Hugs, Kathi

My daughter in law lost her
    My daughter in law lost her mother and my good friend to pancreatic cancer last June. She was a donor. My daughter in law got a call asking permission to remove her eyes and her skin for donor. Liz said yes, and a few months later got a Thank you letter. She felt so good that her mother was able to help someone.
    Kathy
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Kat11 said:

My daughter in law lost her
    My daughter in law lost her mother and my good friend to pancreatic cancer last June. She was a donor. My daughter in law got a call asking permission to remove her eyes and her skin for donor. Liz said yes, and a few months later got a Thank you letter. She felt so good that her mother was able to help someone.
    Kathy

variations on a theme
    It seems that the answer to this one depends on the state and/or facility. My opinion, seems like we should let the designation on there as a donor and let them sort it out when the need arises. Even my oncologist wasn't sure how to answer the question.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

I know I read something
    I've read that a people get a liver or other organs from someone and it turned out to be cancerous. I've read that more than once. I have no idea how it happens but it does.The people who die are usually wreck victims or trauma victims.The person receiving the organ is the sick person but they end up dying anyway because of the diseased organ.

We have the cancer gene so IMO we wouldn't be able to. Especially if it is known. I'm positive the doctors had no idea the donor had cancer.No doctor would put that in a patient knowing the organ was diseased.It would be disheartening to a doctor to find that out after the surgery was over.

I'll keep my organs when I go.

Lynn Smith

I don't know about organs,
    I don't know about organs, but, I was told no blood.

Jan