2»

Comments

• sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Pam M said:

Salad Dressing
    Karen,

I used to get bitter when a couple folks here talked about living on salads when I couldn't get the greens down, and the dressing burned too much to eat for a long time. USED TO. Dressing still has a bite to it, but I can eat it again now (I can even eat mild salsa). Hope Buzz gets there quickly.

Greens
    Can't get salads down either, but I don't care so much about that. Never really liked them. I do use romaine hearts in my juicer or healthmaster, so at least I'm getting greens in me. Lol.

I can do some ranch dressing. Depends. Other dressings are too burny.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options

Pam
    I keep trying bites of other peoples steak and I still cannot swallow it. I can manage steak'ums, with I suppose is better than nothing. :)

I was able to eat some at the spaghetti super at church the other night. That was nice.

Mmmm
    Love spaghetti. That's the way we've done it for months - I'd get a bite of someone else's steak, chew it for a couple hours (OK, not that long, but you know what I mean), then take a big swig of water to swallow with the meat left. I was astounded that just a couple of weeks from still not being able, I was suddenly able to eat the steak. Wild. I also ate Steakums three or four times while not being able to eat "real" steak.
    I bet it made your church folks feel great that you could eat some spaghetti - especially the person who brought the spaghetti.
  • Pam M
    Options
    Dav1965 said:

Congrats
    I can not eat yet but its getting close. I hope. David

Thank You
    Hope it is getting close, David.
  • Pam M
    Options
    MarkN_CT said:

My Grill
    I reacquainted myself with my gas grill yesterday. For the first time in about a year, as outdoor cookery was about the last thing on my mind last year - due to surgery, then chemo and rads(great way to spend the summer). Smoked brats, nicely caramelized onions, spicy mustard, lovingly nestled on a slice of rye bread.

It was a good day.

Oh My
    Carmelized onions with anything makes for a good day. Good for you.
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Pam M said:

Mmmm
    Love spaghetti. That's the way we've done it for months - I'd get a bite of someone else's steak, chew it for a couple hours (OK, not that long, but you know what I mean), then take a big swig of water to swallow with the meat left. I was astounded that just a couple of weeks from still not being able, I was suddenly able to eat the steak. Wild. I also ate Steakums three or four times while not being able to eat "real" steak.
    I bet it made your church folks feel great that you could eat some spaghetti - especially the person who brought the spaghetti.

It does feel like I chew it
    It does feel like I chew it for a couple hours. Lol. I sucked all the goodness out of it because I couldn't swallow it and then gave my bite to Nizzy because I couldn't swallow it. At least the dog was happy. :)

It was nice to go to church. We had an Evensong. Haven't been to one in like three years maybe? It was kind of bittersweet because I cannot sing with the choir anymore, and couldn't really sing too much, but it was nice to worship and hear a few of my favorite prayers sung. Forgot about the incense, which about made me bust into a coughing/gagging/sneezing fit.

The spaghetti was good. I even had tomato sauce. I took a little bit, and a tiny slice of sausage. I ate my small portion with a piece of bread. There were only five people left and they broke down every other table and place setting around me. Imagine that, I was the last one done. Go figure!

Glad I went. I had a good time. I miss everyone and they were happy to see me. Wish we had a later mass. I cannot get up and out early. I'm sooo not a morning person.
  • Pam M
    Options

It does feel like I chew it
    It does feel like I chew it for a couple hours. Lol. I sucked all the goodness out of it because I couldn't swallow it and then gave my bite to Nizzy because I couldn't swallow it. At least the dog was happy. :)

It was nice to go to church. We had an Evensong. Haven't been to one in like three years maybe? It was kind of bittersweet because I cannot sing with the choir anymore, and couldn't really sing too much, but it was nice to worship and hear a few of my favorite prayers sung. Forgot about the incense, which about made me bust into a coughing/gagging/sneezing fit.

The spaghetti was good. I even had tomato sauce. I took a little bit, and a tiny slice of sausage. I ate my small portion with a piece of bread. There were only five people left and they broke down every other table and place setting around me. Imagine that, I was the last one done. Go figure!

Glad I went. I had a good time. I miss everyone and they were happy to see me. Wish we had a later mass. I cannot get up and out early. I'm sooo not a morning person.

Good Times
    No way - you were the last done eating? Yeah, I did my version of singing at mass a few weeks ago - bad idea - in more ways than one.

Spaghetti is one of my "sad" treatment memories. I remember the day I couldn't taste spaghetti sauce for the first time - the next day, I ate steamed chicken, and could taste it - whatever. Glad you had a good time.
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Pam M said:

Good Times
    No way - you were the last done eating? Yeah, I did my version of singing at mass a few weeks ago - bad idea - in more ways than one.

Spaghetti is one of my "sad" treatment memories. I remember the day I couldn't taste spaghetti sauce for the first time - the next day, I ate steamed chicken, and could taste it - whatever. Glad you had a good time.

Last one eating.
    Yeah, shocking, isn't it. It didn't help that my table was the next to last one called up to eat.

Pasta was one of the last things I ate during rads and it was Easter dinner and I ate a lot of food, but I could hardly taste anything. (that was after 5 treatments my taste was gone. With everything. ) My taste still isn't very good. Maybe 60%? Saliva, maybe 30%

I used to have a lovely voice. Kinda sounded like a quiet screechy cat last night. At least I was doing better than the dude behind me who was not only off key, but off beat. Good grief! Slow down dude, it's Gregorian Chant, not an auction where your spitting out words as quickly as possible.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

Do you see a beach picture??
    I still see the old one. Well, if you see a beach picture, it was taken on Miami Beach last weekend. Fabulous, and Mark felt great in the warm sun and swimming in the turquoise water.
    Kim

Florida
    Man, you guys were in Florida and didn't look me up...sigh....., LOL.

Try signing out of CSN and closing your browser or rebooting the computer so it'll refresh your browser...that's more than likely why you aren't seeing the new you photo...

Best,
    John
  • HAWVET
    HAWVET Member Posts: 318
    Options

Last one eating.
    Yeah, shocking, isn't it. It didn't help that my table was the next to last one called up to eat.

Pasta was one of the last things I ate during rads and it was Easter dinner and I ate a lot of food, but I could hardly taste anything. (that was after 5 treatments my taste was gone. With everything. ) My taste still isn't very good. Maybe 60%? Saliva, maybe 30%

I used to have a lovely voice. Kinda sounded like a quiet screechy cat last night. At least I was doing better than the dude behind me who was not only off key, but off beat. Good grief! Slow down dude, it's Gregorian Chant, not an auction where your spitting out words as quickly as possible.

Honestly,very happy for the good news
    Am very happy to hear folks recover and able to eat again. My last steak was in early 1998. In most recent times, I am having more difficulties swallowing. Many times, I think about it and my conclusion....I am just happy to still be around
  • stevenl
    stevenl Member Posts: 587
    Options
    HAWVET said:

Honestly,very happy for the good news
    Am very happy to hear folks recover and able to eat again. My last steak was in early 1998. In most recent times, I am having more difficulties swallowing. Many times, I think about it and my conclusion....I am just happy to still be around

Steak
    Hi Pam,

Steak has been one of the few things that I can eat very well. Hamburgers are still kind of a struggle, seems I have to chew it forever, so I have a Porterhouse or a T- Bone every Sunday. It is the best meal of the week. So, here's to STEAK!!

Best,
    Steve
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    MILESTONES
    I spent last week in San Antonio soaking up the sun and 90 deg. heat while my wife was attending a medical conference. I took no Ensure and forced myself to survive by ordering 3 squares a day from resturants. Much to my surprise, I tried and ate over 12 different food items that as long as I had some water or a cold Cervesa, I was fine. I tried wine but it burned and tasted like rubbing alchohol. Surprisingly I was able to tollerate a margurita on the rocks. I was certian between the Tequila and the fresh lime juice, that would have burned me real bad.

Sometimes you just have to say "What the F$#K" and go for it.

Here's to trying new foods evry day.

BEST!!

Mike
  • Pam M
    Options
    stevenl said:

Steak
    Hi Pam,

Steak has been one of the few things that I can eat very well. Hamburgers are still kind of a struggle, seems I have to chew it forever, so I have a Porterhouse or a T- Bone every Sunday. It is the best meal of the week. So, here's to STEAK!!

Best,
    Steve

Burp - I Mean - Cheers
    Steve,

As for hamburgers - I spend a lot of time chewing, too, but that's OK. Wild that steak is one of your "go to" foods. Great to hear. though. Here's to steak!
  • Pam M
    Options

MILESTONES
    I spent last week in San Antonio soaking up the sun and 90 deg. heat while my wife was attending a medical conference. I took no Ensure and forced myself to survive by ordering 3 squares a day from resturants. Much to my surprise, I tried and ate over 12 different food items that as long as I had some water or a cold Cervesa, I was fine. I tried wine but it burned and tasted like rubbing alchohol. Surprisingly I was able to tollerate a margurita on the rocks. I was certian between the Tequila and the fresh lime juice, that would have burned me real bad.

Sometimes you just have to say "What the F$#K" and go for it.

Here's to trying new foods evry day.

BEST!!

Mike

Go For It
    Man, you must've been nervous taking the first sip of that margarita. But you're right - if we don't keep trying, we'll never know when we can eat or drink something wonderful. Keep it up.

Your post reminded me of a friend of mine from "back in the day". His catch phrase was "What the F%@#, run amuck". Happy memories. We all need that for a temporary motto at the buffet line.
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Pam M said:

Go For It
    Man, you must've been nervous taking the first sip of that margarita. But you're right - if we don't keep trying, we'll never know when we can eat or drink something wonderful. Keep it up.

Your post reminded me of a friend of mine from "back in the day". His catch phrase was "What the F%@#, run amuck". Happy memories. We all need that for a temporary motto at the buffet line.

JUST GO FOR IT
    Yes, I was nervous with the margurita, but after the first taste it was fine. I also used my charcoal grill for the first time since last July. I at one entire sweet italian sausage dipped in maple syrup and it went down just fine. Over the weekend i think I might try a small ribeye steak with some type of dipping sauce.

Here's to eating!!

Best!!

Mike
  • connieprice1
    connieprice1 Member Posts: 300 Member
    Options

JUST GO FOR IT
    Yes, I was nervous with the margurita, but after the first taste it was fine. I also used my charcoal grill for the first time since last July. I at one entire sweet italian sausage dipped in maple syrup and it went down just fine. Over the weekend i think I might try a small ribeye steak with some type of dipping sauce.

Here's to eating!!

Best!!

Mike

BRAVO!!!
    That's good stuff. Keep going for it Mike. LIFE IS GOOD!!! Your friend, Homer
  • sweetblood22
    Options

BRAVO!!!
    That's good stuff. Keep going for it Mike. LIFE IS GOOD!!! Your friend, Homer

Doing pretty well tonight
    Doing pretty well tonight with my fathers meatballs and raviolis with his Sunday gravy. (meat sauce).

Meatball is swallowing decently, at least I'm not choking, Its not burning my mouth badly, and I can say it tastes pretty much like tomato sauce is supposed to, which is kind of nice. :) Hoping this 'sticks' as I really miss my fathers Sunday pasta day.