Options
2»

Comments

• creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Rague said:

I too was an "Elderly female"
    (63 when prescribed it) and nothing was said to me about the possiblities of permanent SE's had I taken it. Actually I never would have taken it even IF I hadn't been advised about it here as I had no nausea during either A/C or Taxol. I find it hard to believe that there is no other med that will work either alone or perhaps in conjuction without the permanent SE's.

Susan

Susan
    The "Black Label" ws just issued in Feb. 2009, and if you read the handout given to you by the pharmacist when you have a perscription filled, it does have the warning on the top now. When I was prescribed the drug, there was no warning, but doctors had been made aware that there was a possibility of a problem with Reglan. When I told my onc (who prescribed the drug), his first statement was, "Yes, some people do have these problems develop", as though he knew it was possible, but gave it to me anyway. Sorry to go on and on about this, but would just hate to have someone take this drug without researching the possible problems they could encounter in the future. I hope that doctors will at least talk to the patient about the ramifications before hand, rather than "wait and see if there is a problem". Judy
  • Cinkal
    Cinkal Member Posts: 161
    Options

Word of Caution
    As the prior posts have stated, all of us are different. Unfortunately, I had problems with nausea all during chemo. I took Emmend the day before and for the next four days following chemo. Also, IV drip just before treatment. I still had lingering nausea for the full six treatments, so we tried all kinds of nausea meds. Finally was prescribed Reglan (generic drug is Metoclopram), which stopped the nausea immediately. I took it four times a day for approximately 3 months. About three months after stopping this drug, I started to develope neurological problems (involuntary tongue and extremity movement), and extreme anxiety. The Reglan is linked to a disease called Tardive Dyskinesia, and is non-cureable. All they can do is treat the symptoms. Just a word of caution...research any meds you are prescribed. Reglan had a "Black Label" placed on it in February 2009, just after I stopped taking the drug. Three years later I still am having to medicate to prevent the seizures and anxiety. Just be careful with what you take. By the way, Reglan is also used to treat schizophrenia, and some patients take it for 20/30 years. The results are the horrible facial movements and twitches that are distinct to these patients. They now feel that the drug taken over an extended period of time is what causes them to be so dibilitated. I only took for a short period, and will probably have these minor symptoms for the rest of my life. Just be cautious. Hugs, Judy

Thanks for the warning about
    Thanks for the warning about Reglan. That was not subscribed to me and I will not take it if it ever is. I was subscribed prochlorperazine and lorazepam that are also supposed to help with anxiety as well as nausea. It is only the day after the first infusion, but it seems to be keeping it under control.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Cinkal
    my onc prescribed 2 other anti nausea meds. I filled both scripts but never got nauseous so never took them. The Dex and IV drip were enough. I find it interesting how every dr doses the Dex differently. I took 2 2x the day before chemo and 2 for 2 days after chemo. I'm hoping you don't get any nausea.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Susan
    The "Black Label" ws just issued in Feb. 2009, and if you read the handout given to you by the pharmacist when you have a perscription filled, it does have the warning on the top now. When I was prescribed the drug, there was no warning, but doctors had been made aware that there was a possibility of a problem with Reglan. When I told my onc (who prescribed the drug), his first statement was, "Yes, some people do have these problems develop", as though he knew it was possible, but gave it to me anyway. Sorry to go on and on about this, but would just hate to have someone take this drug without researching the possible problems they could encounter in the future. I hope that doctors will at least talk to the patient about the ramifications before hand, rather than "wait and see if there is a problem". Judy

I also think that if cogentin is taken with this it may be able to mitigate the chances of TD. I see cogentin given to many for side effects of psychotropic meds where I work. So perhaps it would be wise to take the cogentin with the Reglan if you must use the Reglan.
  • pokrydi
    pokrydi Member Posts: 99
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Cinkal
    my onc prescribed 2 other anti nausea meds. I filled both scripts but never got nauseous so never took them. The Dex and IV drip were enough. I find it interesting how every dr doses the Dex differently. I took 2 2x the day before chemo and 2 for 2 days after chemo. I'm hoping you don't get any nausea.
    {{hugs}} Char

I just had #3 last thurs and
    I just had #3 last thurs and still sick I take the meds but sometimes makes me feel sicker just can't wait until done with 1st 4 I hear last 4 chemos will be more pain than sickness also am very tired. Hopes that you do well and don't experience any sickness but I would take meds at 1st sign of any feelings better than the throwing up. Di
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    pokrydi said:

I just had #3 last thurs and
    I just had #3 last thurs and still sick I take the meds but sometimes makes me feel sicker just can't wait until done with 1st 4 I hear last 4 chemos will be more pain than sickness also am very tired. Hopes that you do well and don't experience any sickness but I would take meds at 1st sign of any feelings better than the throwing up. Di

just finished first round of FEC on Friday
    ....and felt quite sick/some nausea afterwards. companzine did help but then continued to feel lousy until (1) doctor added Mallox (for acid/severe heartburn) Friday after treatment and I called in with gas/severe acid (2) felt lousy Saturday, but still functioning (3) called in again on Sunday as I felt like I had been run over by a truck/hit by a 2 by 4 and doctor added a steriod (4) finally, Monday, feeling better.

Now, what is the drug combo that worked to help me feel better or it is was just the time it took to get over the treatment, I don't know. I finished 12 weeks of weekly Taxol with minimum side effects but have to say that this next round of FEC every three weeks looks to be rougher....at least from this beginning stage experience.

Also had Neaulesta shot on Saturday and have been told to take Claritin daily to prevent any bone pain...how many meds can I be on is my questions!!???

Best to all chemo warriors out there! so glad to be here and read your posts....have been feeling lately like no one understands what I am going through...but I know you all do!

Laura