Neulasta

Options
2»

Comments

• Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    Options

Hate that Neulasta shot
    I hate that shot, it is NASTY!!! I am so sorry that you have to have this shot and are experiencing so much pain. I wish I could tell you something that would help with the pain, but I am trying to figure it out too. I take a daily claritin which actually takes some of the edge off of the pain, but it doesn't take it completely away. I hope the pain eases for you and that you can get some rest. I will be praying for you.

Hugs and God Bless,

Dawne

Neulasta is NASTY! I had it
    Neulasta is NASTY! I had it after each A/C and after each Taxol for a total of 8 injections. Neulasta would put me to bed for 3 or 4 days with excruciating bone pain. Doc gave me oxycodone (that's percocet w/o the acetaminophen) and that helped somewhat. It (oxy) did not make me feel dopey or out of it, just took the edge off the pain. I am sorry that you have to go through this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

"May you be at Peace, May you be Free of Suffering,"
    Dianne
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Dee
    I had Neulasta shot the day after each chemo (6). By the weekend I was achy and slept a lot. I only took my arthritis meds. The pain went away by Monday. Don't stop as they really help with WBC count.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Neulasta is NASTY! I had it
    Neulasta is NASTY! I had it after each A/C and after each Taxol for a total of 8 injections. Neulasta would put me to bed for 3 or 4 days with excruciating bone pain. Doc gave me oxycodone (that's percocet w/o the acetaminophen) and that helped somewhat. It (oxy) did not make me feel dopey or out of it, just took the edge off the pain. I am sorry that you have to go through this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

"May you be at Peace, May you be Free of Suffering,"
    Dianne

Neulasta CAN be nasty for some -
    BUT not to all! I had it with no pain at all! I had it after each of my 4 A/C and had no problems/pain at all. The closest I had to a 'problem' is that I went to sleep exactly 2 hours after injection and slept for 2 hours - that's all. I was not given it after the 12 Taxol I had though.

It's great to give our experiences but to assume that what each individaul experience is what all will experience is wrong. Certainly there are those who do have PAIN with Neulasta but that isn't ALL.

Susan
  • candu
    candu Member Posts: 30
    Options
    pain medication
    Ask you doctor about Hydrocodone.
    It worked great for me to relieve the muscle/joint pain.
    The best to you.
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    candu said:

pain medication
    Ask you doctor about Hydrocodone.
    It worked great for me to relieve the muscle/joint pain.
    The best to you.

had my first Neulesta
    ...on Saturday, after my first FEC on Friday. Finished 12 weeks of Taxol and did not need Neulesta with that as my WBCs never dropped.

As others here have commented, I felt like I was run over by a truck the day after the shot, which was also two days after the FEC chemo...so who knows if it was from the chemo or from the shot....

I am taking Claritin on a daily basis...it;s only Monday and I had the shot on Saturday...so not sure when the pain would be expected to start? I hope I would be lucky and escape any pain with this and have been told the Claritin would help...but just in case have a precription for Percacet (spelling?)and, have Tylenol 3 (the tylenol with codiene)

Chemo is not fun, is it?????!!!!

But...positive thought.....I have only three more to go!
    Laura
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Dee......
    I took Claritin for the pain after the neulasta shot and it worked wonders. I never had one pain. I heard about it on this board. You take one the day before the shot and then one for six days afterwards and that should take care of the pain. Hope this helps.

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • Katmy
    Katmy Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Dee, I don't know for sure
    Dee,
    I don't know for sure but: Tylenol is good for muscular pain and Advil (ibuprofin) is good for bone pain. My Onc. told me to take Advil and said that Tylenol would do nothing for bone pain/ ache. Advil worked. She said some women use Claritin and swear by it, but there is no "chemical" reason that Claritin should work. Anyway, the Advil worked.

Hope you are feeling better.
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi Dee...my instructions say
    Hi Dee...my instructions say NOT to take advil. To take tylenol if there is a need to. And yes, that shot means business!!!! Wow! I wasn't able to move for two days as well. I hope your next times go more smoothly. You do need that shot! I am with you.
  • chinup
    chinup Member Posts: 4
    Options
    nuelasta
    Just a heads up...I had 4 a/c treatments and 4 neulasta shots and never had any problems. Last week I had my first taxol treatment w/ the neulasta on Friday and by Sat. night I was having severe pain in my legs and feet. I could hardly walk and narcotics didn't touch it.
    This lasted about 24 hours and waned over 4 days. I understand that after the first time it's not as bad so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think it's nice to know these things up front.
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Options

Ask your doc or pharmacist
    Ask your doc or pharmacist about claratin. I believe it's recommended by the manufacturer. I took it for neupogin (a cousin to neulasta) and had no pain.

Hugs,

Linda

I took Claritin......
    too. Plain claritin, not claritin D. Start taking it the day before chemo and for six days afterwards and you will not feel any pain from the shot. Worked for me and my oncologist said it was o.k. to use if it works.

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    chinup said:

nuelasta
    Just a heads up...I had 4 a/c treatments and 4 neulasta shots and never had any problems. Last week I had my first taxol treatment w/ the neulasta on Friday and by Sat. night I was having severe pain in my legs and feet. I could hardly walk and narcotics didn't touch it.
    This lasted about 24 hours and waned over 4 days. I understand that after the first time it's not as bad so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think it's nice to know these things up front.

Not everyone
    has side effects from Neulasta, as Susan says. I had none. Kept waiting for something, but I guess I was lucky. Maybe a little achey, or maybe that was from the chemo. Dunno. So for those who are worried about the side effects of these meds, you won't know if you'll have any or not unless you try them. And if you do have side effects, there is often something to help with them.

Suzanne