Off topic. My mom update.

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
Today was bittersweet. I arranged the movers to take everything from mom's apartment back to her house. She had a glorious 3 months in her new home, October thru January, but that's over now. The staff were as warm and caring as usual. They all asked about her.

It was then I went and visited with my mom. It was an altered person I saw, but I saw glimpses of my 'old' mom, as well. They had not been using her hearing aids, and so when I insisted they insert them, she came a bit more to life! But still not very good. Thankfully, she is not in pain, but is rail thin and drifts in and out...hospice is on board, and she will be moved to a board-and-care as soon as there is room.

I didn't want to get too close, because I still am battling the flu/cold from Holland. But I sat and talked with her (or to her, more accurately *smile*).

It was a tough day...but part of life. She is a breast and endometrial cancer survivor. One strong lady, in her time. I hope she has found peace.

Hugs, Kathi

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Gentle caring hugs!
    Oh Kathy I am so sorry! Mom's are such a treasure, my heart goes out to you and yours. We went through something similar with Colin's dad who had Alzheimer's. We visited and chatted in hopes that he knew we were there, sometimes he did and who really knows somewhere deep inside they may know. They have shown us how to live and given us love, now it is our turn to give back. You are a strong and caring person (no doubt a trait your mom passed to you) who will most certainly do right by her Mama. I will be keeping you both close to my heart and in my prayers!

Love,

RE
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    :( Sorry about your Mom, Kathi :(
    When I read things like this it takes me back to 2007 when I lost my Mom to lung cancer. I'm so happy you are close to Mom now and able to spend time with her. As difficult as it was, I prayed my Mom would find peace as well. What a strong woman she is to have battled and won 2 cancers!! You sound like such an amazing daughter and I'm sure she is very happy to have you close. Big Hugs!!
    Miles of Love,
    ~Kari
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Wishing..
    All of you peace...wise to have them keep her hearing aids in...at the end of life, hearing is the last sense to leave the body..so keep talking to mom..I miss my mom terribly and she's been gone many years..
    Welcome Home Kathi, and my best to you,
    Nancy
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    MAJW said:

Wishing..
    All of you peace...wise to have them keep her hearing aids in...at the end of life, hearing is the last sense to leave the body..so keep talking to mom..I miss my mom terribly and she's been gone many years..
    Welcome Home Kathi, and my best to you,
    Nancy

Hugs to you Kathi and
    Hugs to you Kathi and welcome home. Your mom and you are in my prayers.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    fauxma said:

Hugs to you Kathi and
    Hugs to you Kathi and welcome home. Your mom and you are in my prayers.

You are....
    ....an amazing, wonderful and caring daughter~Kathi. Cherish the time you have left with her~sitting, being...talking or not. Those days are precious for sure~
    hugz~Melanie
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    I am so sorry you are going
    I am so sorry you are going through this with your mom, but glad you are able to spend precious moments with her in her last days/weeks/months. I am so happy you have Hospice on board. We had them for my dad and they are wonderful! Prayers!

Nancy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Thank you, my sisters!
    I feel the hugs!

Mom fell out of a wheelchair yesterday. Nothing broken that they know of, but just another thing. Saw the board-and-care she will go to, it's very nice!

Hugs back, Kathi
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    KathiM said:

Thank you, my sisters!
    I feel the hugs!

Mom fell out of a wheelchair yesterday. Nothing broken that they know of, but just another thing. Saw the board-and-care she will go to, it's very nice!

Hugs back, Kathi

your mom
    Even if she does not recognize or remember you, she will know you are a loving person just by your presence. She might even say "You remind me of my daughter". Glad nothing broke with the fall.