Arm port

Options
Susiestn
Susiestn Member Posts: 13
I had my arm port put in today and 10 hours later my whole arm is still numb. Has that happened to anyone? Does it clear up!?? At least I'm not in pain since I can't feel my arm.

Comments

• tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    port
    I have not heard of anyone who has had a port inserted in their arm. Are you sure it's not a picc (not sure how to spell it) ... but I believe that is something that actually has something external for the infusion needle to go into ... while a port is totally enclosed ... under the skin.

hugs.
    teena
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    tgf said:

port
    I have not heard of anyone who has had a port inserted in their arm. Are you sure it's not a picc (not sure how to spell it) ... but I believe that is something that actually has something external for the infusion needle to go into ... while a port is totally enclosed ... under the skin.

hugs.
    teena

Tgf..
    Is correct...that's a pic line...it does have external access for the infusions...usually "two lines"
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    PICC line or port
    Ports are usually put in in the upper chest area - just below clavicle. (Mine is.) There is at least one person here who has/had one in upper arm though. A port will be totally covered by skin. PICC lines have been around a lot longer than Ports and are usually put in the arm and have an external 'opening' - a lot more care taking with them.

Susan