Lung Surgery

Options
2»

Comments

• Judemo
    Judemo Member Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Wow! your story give me hope! How are you doing now?

• Judemo
    Options

I am so scared of the lobectomy (thoracotomy) that my doc wants to do. I almost don't want to get it done.

• Claire33
    Claire33 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I am 76 and 1-1/2 months out from lower left lung lobectomy using robotics. My adenocarcinoma was 1.2 cm and surgeon told me it would be segment surgery, but he ended up taking the entire lobe. I was released from the hospital after only 2 days. I was given pain meds for 6.5 days and after that the Advanced Practice Nurse refused to refill stating it shouldn’t be necessary. I don’t feel my pain was controlled well at all and I am not a pain weinie! Have been through several other painful recoveries and I am not a whiner or a druggie!! At my 2 week check up I was advised by the doctor’s APN that my x-ray that morning showed I still have a pleural effusion, but that I’m doing well enough I don’t need rehab and they will see me again in 6 months. I did not get to see the doctor, the office was too far behind, I had a subsequent doctor appt to get to and could not wait any longer. That was it and it was Bye Bye. I am still experiencing pain, some I know is nerve pain (stinging, on fire -whew), have gone through the itching stage, but I also have a lump below my breast that is still painful and sore to the touch that I can’t figure out. It still hurts to ride or drive -feel every turn and every bump in the road. I have seen others say they had NO issues, but that hasn’t been my experience. It has been and is painful and difficult. Would I do the surgery again? Absolutely!!! I am so thankful to have been a surgical candidate. My lymph node pathology came back good after surgery and I am so thankful for that too. Surgery, I think, has to be the better option than going through chemo and radiation. Good Luck what ever you decide!!!

• annie025
    annie025 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Judemo, please don't be afraid. Yes you do want this. You are so lucky that surgery is able to be done for you. I àm currently waiting for

Tests and results keeping my fingers crossed, pràying so hard they can do surgery, that it's only in my lung. You are blessed with an opportunity to live the rest of your life!!!! Many do not get that chance. Be brave and courageous for the battle ahead, you can do this and surgery is the best chànce. I wish already had surgery ànd was recovering now. Can't wait, pain can be controlled with medicine,you have nothing to afraid of. Go for it and post back after you've done it. I will keep you in my prayers. Best wishes

• Judemo
    Options

Claire, I am so sorry you have dealt with so much pain and was ignored about it. Thanks for replying to me. I am going through with the surgery. They recently found that my lung cancer is a metestatic uterine/cervical cancer I had from 9 years ago! Rare, but I guess it happens. That's why they are tentatively planning on chemo afterwards. I had a negative biopsy a few months ago, but then changed docs and he did a bronchoscopy that revealed DX.

Thanks Annie, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too. No-one knows how long we have, so it's definitely wise to take it one day at a time.