Just radiation

Options
disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
For those of you who JUST had radiation...do you get comments like...well at least that is all you had to go through? OR was it really cancer if no chemo?

I know I have not gone through near as much as many here-but I still had the unknown, uncertain, what would I look like afterwards (lumpectomy-took me almost month to even look). Just curious...

Denise

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    me
    I catch myself saying..."I only had a lumpectomy" ONLY???? Wasn't it enough along with node removal, chemo, radiation....Geez, the stupid things I say myself!! LOL!
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    One of the worst comments
    I've gotten recently was from my radiation tech who said she was trying to make me feel better (yeah, right). I was hurting and lying on the table and she was positioning me and said, "My sister had bc twice and at least you still have your breast!". When I said I can't hear that right now, she repeated herself!!!
    Now, I've heard lots of comments from others through surgery, chemo and rads, but I did NOT expect it from my tech!
    Geesh!
    JoAnn
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    joannstar said:

One of the worst comments
    I've gotten recently was from my radiation tech who said she was trying to make me feel better (yeah, right). I was hurting and lying on the table and she was positioning me and said, "My sister had bc twice and at least you still have your breast!". When I said I can't hear that right now, she repeated herself!!!
    Now, I've heard lots of comments from others through surgery, chemo and rads, but I did NOT expect it from my tech!
    Geesh!
    JoAnn

Joanne: for sure
    shouldn't be from anyone but not a tech...

Denise
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Ugh
    I would just respond "Well I see you have the right spirit in case you ever have to be faced with my situation! - you go girl!!"....

Keep your head up and be proud of yourself.
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Ugh
    I would just respond "Well I see you have the right spirit in case you ever have to be faced with my situation! - you go girl!!"....

Keep your head up and be proud of yourself.

I tell people
    I HAD breast cancer.They say how sorry they are.I then say it was a non invasive DCIS and the tumor was very small. I was lucky.Lucky.HMMMMMMM I don't feel lucky but I do feel I am fortunate to not go through what so many others go through. SO I guess I TRY to pass it off but deep down I am just as scared as the next cancer survivor.I was told chemo and radiation wasn't needed but in my heart/mind I wondered WHY NOT RADIATION at least.

I talk to alot who choose masecotomy over lumpectomy.They were given a choice.Years ago not alot was known about the disease and no one had a choice. I was faced with that several times but the tumors were benign. My doctor never offered a masecotomy with my diagnosis 2 years ago.

That tech was way out of line.I am sure she said it to others.So caring. I wouldn't want a tech like her.

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

I tell people
    I HAD breast cancer.They say how sorry they are.I then say it was a non invasive DCIS and the tumor was very small. I was lucky.Lucky.HMMMMMMM I don't feel lucky but I do feel I am fortunate to not go through what so many others go through. SO I guess I TRY to pass it off but deep down I am just as scared as the next cancer survivor.I was told chemo and radiation wasn't needed but in my heart/mind I wondered WHY NOT RADIATION at least.

I talk to alot who choose masecotomy over lumpectomy.They were given a choice.Years ago not alot was known about the disease and no one had a choice. I was faced with that several times but the tumors were benign. My doctor never offered a masecotomy with my diagnosis 2 years ago.

That tech was way out of line.I am sure she said it to others.So caring. I wouldn't want a tech like her.

Lynn Smith

@LYNNE
    I too Just had DCIS and HAD cancer..(until this board never thought of survior) I say feel lucky I caughtt it early (since I never miss a yearly mammo or any other test) I was told it would have taken 10 yrs to feel! I did feel fortuante while going to radiation-compared to many other patients. I kind of played it down to most. Never skipped a beat-so I didn't react per say so others didn't say much. A co worker and I had same surgery same time/ same type anyhow yet i had radiation and she has NOTHING at all.

I do not believe she is on any meds like tamoxfin etc either!

My husband once said (NOT IN mean way) well it was early stages , so is/was it really cancer? I said well I didn't go through 8 wks radiation & surgery of course!

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

I tell people

Lynn Smith

Dr asked me once if I was healthy?
    I was at an appt with my hubby, his dr asked me how my health was! I said depends on what you mean! I have colitis and had cancer...HE NEVER made comment..just wrote it down in hubby's file..

Denise
  • Lynn Smith
    Options

Dr asked me once if I was healthy?
    I was at an appt with my hubby, his dr asked me how my health was! I said depends on what you mean! I have colitis and had cancer...HE NEVER made comment..just wrote it down in hubby's file..

Denise

Disney fan 2008
    I HAD colitis many years ago.Had surgery.Breast cancer(DCIS)now.You had radiation, not me.Just I've wondered about no radiation but you have to trust your doctor/doctors.

It was probably helpful to have a co-worker going through it the same time.That didn't happen with me. Did it alone but have many friends who've had breast cancer. So I know all the ins and outs. On another post I mentioned all their cases.

10 years for your cancer to grow.A very very long time.I've been like you never miss a mammo. I know we can have a mammo one month and the next month a tumor.It happened to someone and she only lived 6 months.She was told the mammo didn't show it the first time.That is RARE but guess it can happen.Scary.

The BC radilogist found mine.BUT my doctor waited weeks before he told the radiology doctor to biopsy.I never said a word to my husband.Didn't tell him a tumor was found all that time.Finally my friend took me for the biopsy.2 days later I was called to my docs office Malignant.I go home and tell my husband.I have breast cancer.He said THAT'S NOT GOOD. I think "Sure isn't"!!!!!!!!

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

Disney fan 2008
    I HAD colitis many years ago.Had surgery.Breast cancer(DCIS)now.You had radiation, not me.Just I've wondered about no radiation but you have to trust your doctor/doctors.

It was probably helpful to have a co-worker going through it the same time.That didn't happen with me. Did it alone but have many friends who've had breast cancer. So I know all the ins and outs. On another post I mentioned all their cases.

10 years for your cancer to grow.A very very long time.I've been like you never miss a mammo. I know we can have a mammo one month and the next month a tumor.It happened to someone and she only lived 6 months.She was told the mammo didn't show it the first time.That is RARE but guess it can happen.Scary.

The BC radilogist found mine.BUT my doctor waited weeks before he told the radiology doctor to biopsy.I never said a word to my husband.Didn't tell him a tumor was found all that time.Finally my friend took me for the biopsy.2 days later I was called to my docs office Malignant.I go home and tell my husband.I have breast cancer.He said THAT'S NOT GOOD. I think "Sure isn't"!!!!!!!!

Lynn Smith

@lynne
    ulcertive colitis for 18 yrs (just had my 20th colonscopy yippe) anyhow it wss in remission for about 2 yrs and I THOUGHT since I started tamox. but it recently flared up and shortly after dr took me off tamoxifen..so just by chance in the timing!

Weeks seems like forever when the patient but to the dr I am sure nothing...I had to wait I THINK 3 wks for surgeon to come back from spring break vaction. To me that wait seemed like never going to happen!

When I found out by phone DCIS I had no idea it was anything to do with cancer..so used my daughter's computer but jotted DCIS down. She found it looked it up -not good way to find out..(she was 16 then)

Denise
  • Lynn Smith
    Options

@lynne
    ulcertive colitis for 18 yrs (just had my 20th colonscopy yippe) anyhow it wss in remission for about 2 yrs and I THOUGHT since I started tamox. but it recently flared up and shortly after dr took me off tamoxifen..so just by chance in the timing!

Weeks seems like forever when the patient but to the dr I am sure nothing...I had to wait I THINK 3 wks for surgeon to come back from spring break vaction. To me that wait seemed like never going to happen!

When I found out by phone DCIS I had no idea it was anything to do with cancer..so used my daughter's computer but jotted DCIS down. She found it looked it up -not good way to find out..(she was 16 then)

Denise

Disney(By telephone)
    That was different. Never heard a doc calling to say you have cancer over the phone.Well he did say DCIS but still we don't know what that is till they tell us. My doctor along with a female doctor told me and explained alot to me.I went in by myself thinking It MIGHT not be anything since my doctor drug his feet for 6 weeks. Well it was something.

How long ago was your DX.I was diagnosed August 19,2009.

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

Disney(By telephone)
    That was different. Never heard a doc calling to say you have cancer over the phone.Well he did say DCIS but still we don't know what that is till they tell us. My doctor along with a female doctor told me and explained alot to me.I went in by myself thinking It MIGHT not be anything since my doctor drug his feet for 6 weeks. Well it was something.

How long ago was your DX.I was diagnosed August 19,2009.

Lynn Smith

@LYNNE
    I LOVE MY dr..I have gone to him for over 20 yrs....very sweet and caring.yet the phone call...surprised me..HIS exact words (STUCK IN MY HEAD) "it is not bad but it is NOT GOOD"!....said call surgeon (gave me # he recommended-which did 2 surgeries on my hubby) WHEN I started LOOKING it up and saw cancer, radiation and life expectancy (HOME ALONE) I was kind of in shock...

I was diagnosed Feb 2008, MONDAY April 3rd is 3rd anniversary since my surgery and JUNE 28-08 last day of radiation...

Denise
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Denise
    I had double mastectomy, chemo & rads. One of my sisters had lumpectomy, chemo & rads. Another sister had 2 lumpectomies 9 years apart and rads both times. I would never say to them well you only had lumpectomy or rads. It's insulting. Breast cancer is breast cancer no matter what way you look at it.
    Char
  • Lynn Smith
    Options

@LYNNE
    I LOVE MY dr..I have gone to him for over 20 yrs....very sweet and caring.yet the phone call...surprised me..HIS exact words (STUCK IN MY HEAD) "it is not bad but it is NOT GOOD"!....said call surgeon (gave me # he recommended-which did 2 surgeries on my hubby) WHEN I started LOOKING it up and saw cancer, radiation and life expectancy (HOME ALONE) I was kind of in shock...

I was diagnosed Feb 2008, MONDAY April 3rd is 3rd anniversary since my surgery and JUNE 28-08 last day of radiation...

Denise

Disney
    After my surgery(follow up)I was told Good news/Bad news.Just like you."Got good news and bad"
    My doctor said "Good news I got it all".Bad news I would like to go back in and check margins.Of course I agreed. It turned out it was going to happen anyway.I found a tumor 2 days before the second surgery.I thought fluid build up but wasn't.It was benign tumor.

Before this surgeon I had the other one for 25 years.He retired but still does some teaching at a university.The new BS I've been going to for almost 7 years.We have a better relationship now that the cancer was non invasive.I can talk to him now.Since he waited on the DX he did ask"if its OK with you I would like to see you again in 3 months"?? I did stay with him. I can't see one scar on my left breast.A slight dimpling and it is of course smaller but not chopped up.

Lynn Smith
  • Nanaof3
    Nanaof3 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Denise
    I had double mastectomy, chemo & rads. One of my sisters had lumpectomy, chemo & rads. Another sister had 2 lumpectomies 9 years apart and rads both times. I would never say to them well you only had lumpectomy or rads. It's insulting. Breast cancer is breast cancer no matter what way you look at it.
    Char

Denise
    Really good answer, Char. I too had (just)a lumpectomy and rads and often feel like - now I don't really know how to say it - like I should never complain or be upset because so many other women have had such worse trials than I have. So I feel guilty sometimes, being upset.
  • ennie__1
    ennie__1 Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Denise
    Char

DCIS
    on this thread you ladies have mentioned DCIS several times does that mean Ductal Carcinoma in Sietue(Spelling) Sorry spelling is not my strong area. if not what does it mean I. just trying to follow. My first time with breast cancer was Ductal Carcinoma in sietue.
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ennie__1 said:

DCIS
    on this thread you ladies have mentioned DCIS several times does that mean Ductal Carcinoma in Sietue(Spelling) Sorry spelling is not my strong area. if not what does it mean I. just trying to follow. My first time with breast cancer was Ductal Carcinoma in sietue.

yep
    that is what DCIS (situ) is. I had DCIS, lumpectomy, 33 rads. And the doctor told me on the phone!

Maureen
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    this is the first time i am
    this is the first time i am going to b*tch on this forum.was talking online to my cousin and when i told her about my cancer,double mastectomy with snb and the horrible horrible nerve damage i have, pain, discomfort, lack of range of motion, she typed, well you are lucky .yes i am lucky, but jeepers, sometimes i dont want to be told i am.when you think about it, getting cancer is not lucky and what everyone goes thru after that sucks for the most part.i thought wait if you get cancer (horrible i know but she really got to me), lets see you go thru all the pain, emotional upheaval and see how lucky you feel.had it not been for her "tone" i could read thru her words, i wouldnt have gotten upset.i think she meant cuz i didnt need rads or chemo it was an easy cancer.i get that too, like i am not really a cancer survivor cuz i choose mastectomy,i was just fortunate i had clean margins or id be getting that too.cancer is cancer and any treatment is hard. sorry for being so negative.but at least i can let it out to people who understand.
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options

this is the first time i am
    this is the first time i am going to b*tch on this forum.was talking online to my cousin and when i told her about my cancer,double mastectomy with snb and the horrible horrible nerve damage i have, pain, discomfort, lack of range of motion, she typed, well you are lucky .yes i am lucky, but jeepers, sometimes i dont want to be told i am.when you think about it, getting cancer is not lucky and what everyone goes thru after that sucks for the most part.i thought wait if you get cancer (horrible i know but she really got to me), lets see you go thru all the pain, emotional upheaval and see how lucky you feel.had it not been for her "tone" i could read thru her words, i wouldnt have gotten upset.i think she meant cuz i didnt need rads or chemo it was an easy cancer.i get that too, like i am not really a cancer survivor cuz i choose mastectomy,i was just fortunate i had clean margins or id be getting that too.cancer is cancer and any treatment is hard. sorry for being so negative.but at least i can let it out to people who understand.

b*tch away!
    That's one of the reasons for being here. You didn't have surgery because you're perfectly healthy!

Maureen
  • Lynn Smith
    Options

b*tch away!
    That's one of the reasons for being here. You didn't have surgery because you're perfectly healthy!

Maureen

Me
    I am perfectly healthy.That is just what I am going to say to the busy bodies and those who think I am bad off. I am heathly and proud of it.I just take my life more serious now. If someone isn't serious then I dont need them near me.

Good seeing at least one other person who didn't need chemo or rads.But I do take tamoxifin.

Lynn Smith
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    just ask
    when they make light of the fact that you had not as many types of treatment ask them this question. "How many years of medical school did you go through that you would question the treatment plan?" Cancer is life threatening even if you catch it early. No one cares to have a threat to thier lives.