I have decided to give this everything I've got!

Options
BioAdoptMom
BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
I see the medical onco for the first time tomorrow and don't know exactly what the plan will be. I am stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR+ and HER2-, so may end up having to wait awhile longer for an Oncotype. At any rate, I have decided as of tonight that IF chemo is recommended and whatever anti-hormone therapy may be recommended, if it improves my long term life expectancy by even just a few percentage points, I am going for it! Of course not for a 1 or 2% increase, but I think anything greater than that. This is so hard. I hope it's the right decision, but I have an 11 y/o DD as well as 2 young adult sons and I want to be here for all the college graduations, weddings and to enjoy any grandchildren! I'll give it all I've got!

Nancy

Comments

• gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    way to go...
    I have heard that a positive attitude is a big help with all of this. I wish you the best.

Hugs and Prayers to You, Diana
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Go Nancy!
    Keep up that fighting attitude! I would venture to say that a huge driver to fight is the love we have for our families and friends.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Fight!
    Nancy, Fight this beast is the attitude we need. You must do what ever it takes to kill your cancer. You have so much to live for as you have stated, so you can do this. Chemo is not fun but doable, before you know it you will be done with that part of your treatment. You have made your decision so that is half the battle. It will be ok. we are here for you when ever it gets tough or you want a sister to talk to. Good luck and please keep us posted as to what your onc. tells you tomorrow.
    Hugs
    Annette
  • Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    Options

Fight!
    Nancy, Fight this beast is the attitude we need. You must do what ever it takes to kill your cancer. You have so much to live for as you have stated, so you can do this. Chemo is not fun but doable, before you know it you will be done with that part of your treatment. You have made your decision so that is half the battle. It will be ok. we are here for you when ever it gets tough or you want a sister to talk to. Good luck and please keep us posted as to what your onc. tells you tomorrow.
    Hugs
    Annette

Fight the Beast
    You've got to fight the Beast for all it's worth! Whatever it takes, you ultimately make the final decisions.

Hang in there. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Be Well,
    Dianne
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! In 1987,
    That sounds great! In 1987, faced with Stage 3A and, back then, a grim prognosis, I made the decision, after finding an oncologist who is brilliant (but a little House-like), to trust my onc and fight with everything that I had. He had trained extensively and I was just learning about my diagnosis.

Many of his decisions were controversial at the time. He recommended tamoxifen for a premenopausal woman--not normally done back in 1987. I didn't argue, I did it.

Now, here I am 24 years later and his expertise and my fighting spirit got me this far. And, even though I had a setback in 2009 (bone mets after a remission of 22 years), I am still functional and fighting.

My recommendation, fight the beast with all that you've got!
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    with you
    I am right behind you in the treatment regimen by about a week or so. My cancer is similar to yours but I don't have the ER/PR component and I am stage 2. It is my intention to kick cancer's butt. So you and I will be seeing all those graduations and weddings for sure. I am a strong matriarch and have used my power to protect disabled people in my family. Now I must fight for myslef, but the training for the battle has prepared me. You and I will get through this and I think when people stick together in a fight there is an synergistic effect that will be hard for cancer to overcome. The prayers we have said for one another on this fight has lifted the spirits of each of us at one time or another. I will be with you along the journey, but more importantly I will meet you at the other end of the treatment as well. Hang in there.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
    If you keep the attitude you'll be fine. I went into my chemo with the idea that I would win and came out of surgery with a clear PET scan. Just finished rads today to make sure everything was gone since I started as 3a - T2 N1 M0. I'm E+ P- and HER - so start Famara today. You can do this!
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    Options
    skipper54 said:

Way to go!
    If you keep the attitude you'll be fine. I went into my chemo with the idea that I would win and came out of surgery with a clear PET scan. Just finished rads today to make sure everything was gone since I started as 3a - T2 N1 M0. I'm E+ P- and HER - so start Famara today. You can do this!

Thank you all for your
    Thank you all for your TREMENDOUS support and encouragement! You are a great group here and I am so glad I found you!

Nancy