Protein Drinks?

Options
lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
Between my diabetes and BC, with now low red blood cells, I want to add a whey protein drink to my diet. There is a warning label on the can that says if you have any medical condition, consult your doctor first.
When I was first entering treatment, my cancer center said NO supplements. But, would this be considered a supplement?
I just hate to call and ask a silly question, if it is one.

Comments

• skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It's not silly
    It's an important question! I would think protein drinks would qualify as a suppliment and my onc wouldn't let me do anything either. The nurses suggested Ensure or Carnation Instant Breakfast when I had no appetite and that was okay. Soooooo, call and ask for the docs interpretation. It's the only way to be sure.
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Show it to your oncologist
    MIne actually gave me a list of ones that he said I could do.
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    skipper54 said:

It's not silly
    It's an important question! I would think protein drinks would qualify as a suppliment and my onc wouldn't let me do anything either. The nurses suggested Ensure or Carnation Instant Breakfast when I had no appetite and that was okay. Soooooo, call and ask for the docs interpretation. It's the only way to be sure.

Same as skipper
    I was told ensure and carnation also. MOLLYZ
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Show it to your oncologist
    MIne actually gave me a list of ones that he said I could do.

I dont think whey protein
    I dont think whey protein would be bad. should probably avoid soy. I make proteinbars with whey protein and would have eaten them during chemo. (if I had been able to eat during chemo LOL)
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

I dont think whey protein would be bad. should probably avoid soy. I make proteinbars with whey protein and would have eaten them during chemo. (if I had been able to eat during chemo LOL)

My oncologist
    My oncologist said NO to Ensure.It is high in soy but the bars are OK.They only contain a little soy.Ensure and Soy milk I can't drink.

I thought of some ideas since I want to gain 10 lbs.I mentioned to my Breast Surgeon about Fusion.At first he was hesitant(because of the sodium) but then he said it wouldn't hurt me.I am drinking Fusion and love it. Better than any other drink.Even my caffeine free coke.And it is healthy.It contains antioxdents.You get all the fruits and vegetables you need in one day with 3 glasses.

Lynn Smith
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    carkris said:

If you are ER and PR
    If you are ER and PR positive, you want to avoid soy according to my oncologist. You will still get some, as, it is hidden in some foods, but, just do your best.