To much pain

rmkbrad
rmkbrad Member Posts: 176
I don't know what happened this weekend but the pain factor just got multiplied by alot, I take liquid oxycodone and it does help but the pain is so intense that it makes it hard to function. I had my partial neck disection done 3 weeks ago and all I can figure is the fluid has moved from my jaw bone are to under my chin and is pressing on my tumor which is pressing on a nerve and sending pain to my left ear. Under my jaw area is swollen and hard as a rock, anyone have any ideas to help the drainage. Also what pain meds are you using to controll the pain much better? Just for reference I finished my second go around of chemo and radiation just before my neck disection.

Brad

Comments

• KristynRuth86
    KristynRuth86 Member Posts: 140
    ask for the.. fentanyl (sp?)
    ask for the.. fentanyl (sp?) patch, maybe someone can help me here I can't remember exactly if that's what it was called. It helped me with my pain a LOT. Gosh, I'm just so so soooooo sorry you're feeling so bad :( I really wish I could help. Try to get a lot of rest (if possible).
    Take care
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813

ask for the.. fentanyl (sp?) patch, maybe someone can help me here I can't remember exactly if that's what it was called. It helped me with my pain a LOT. Gosh, I'm just so so soooooo sorry you're feeling so bad :( I really wish I could help. Try to get a lot of rest (if possible).
    Take care

Pain
    Brad: Sorry you are having pain.... I was just yesterday on the phone with the doc asking for Fentanyl Patch..... I am 3 months post surgery (ND and Tongue reconstruction) and have the same pain with the swelling under the chin and jaw..... I was just at dr. appt last week and he said everything looked fine to him, but it feels to me there is a tennis ball in there. (Last week he only upped the Hydrocodone dosage, but it didn't help much)Hopefully the patch will... but be VERY CAREFUL with it... it is extremely potent. read and follow the instructions. Krystin -- what dose did you use ? I'm starting with 50 mcg.
    Thanks and hope you feel better Brad... and Krystin you continue to do well !
  • tjuhlin
    tjuhlin Member Posts: 19
    Hey Brad
    You are in my prayers...

Terry
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228

Take care

The fentanyl patch really
    The fentanyl patch really helped with my neck, shoulder, and earpain a lot. At my peak my mouth was still in ridiculous amounts of pain even with 75 mcgs. I didn't realize how much of my ear, shoulder and neck pain it was masking until I went off the fentanyl. My last patch was 25 mcgs.

I definitely think it would help you. I would talk to your doctor about it. Just make sure that if you get it, you change your patch every three days on time and that you never stop taking it abruptly. You must wean off of it. It's something like 100 times more powerful than morphine. It does work.

I would want to know why your pain level has increased so much though? Sorry you are having so much pain. Hoping you get relief soon.
  • RushFan
    RushFan Member Posts: 224

The fentanyl patch really
    The fentanyl patch really helped with my neck, shoulder, and earpain a lot. At my peak my mouth was still in ridiculous amounts of pain even with 75 mcgs. I didn't realize how much of my ear, shoulder and neck pain it was masking until I went off the fentanyl. My last patch was 25 mcgs.

I definitely think it would help you. I would talk to your doctor about it. Just make sure that if you get it, you change your patch every three days on time and that you never stop taking it abruptly. You must wean off of it. It's something like 100 times more powerful than morphine. It does work.

I would want to know why your pain level has increased so much though? Sorry you are having so much pain. Hoping you get relief soon.

Get the Patch...
    Really sorry to hear about your pain. The Fentanyl patch saved me. I started at 25mg, then to 50mg, then a 50mg + 25mg for 75mg total. I also continued with liquid oxy too. Check your pharmacy to make sure they carry the patches too...we (my wife) had to track them down and there are restrictions in place with this drug. I believe they last for 72 hours.

And be careful. I had a hard time coming off of these things, but would certainly use them again in a heartbeat.

Best to you, and all here.
    Chuck.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Pain Managemnt
    Hi Brad, I didn't have the pain that you are going through, nor the patch. I also didn't have a dissection...

But my pain meds included the liquid hydrocodone, oxicotin, percocets, and roxanol (liquid morphine), though I could handle the morphine, it made me sick, and didn't help the pain at all....

Communication with your docs is vital, let them know what's going on...

Best,
    John
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Fluid Flow
    Very sorry to hear you're suffering. I did not have horrible pain after my dissection; hope docs can help relieve at least some of yours. My neck and under jaw area were rock hard for a while, too - it's still firm, but not so tight. I've heard a lot of folks recommend massageto help with lymph fluid drainage. I do something called the LeBed Method to help. It's gentle, slow stretching and movement. We start each session blowing bubbles - really - it helps stimulate lymph flow. The movements are simple - I bet if you don't have a LeBed class nearby, you could find instructions online, if you're curious. I use a shower massage on a lighter setting in the shower - I don't know if it helps, but I do it. I do slow stretches whenever I think of it, too - turning my head to one side, then the other, bending my neck to move my head in a sort of circle so I move an ear near my shoulder, then move down til my chin is near my chest, then up til my other ear is near my other shoulder, then tip my head back as far as I can without pain to finish the circle with my "first" ear to shoulder position. I also do arm movements like I'm climbing a ladder (this also helps my shoulder range of movement, I think/hope). Do well - hope it eases up for you soon.
  • rmkbrad
    rmkbrad Member Posts: 176
    Pam M said:

Fluid Flow
    Very sorry to hear you're suffering. I did not have horrible pain after my dissection; hope docs can help relieve at least some of yours. My neck and under jaw area were rock hard for a while, too - it's still firm, but not so tight. I've heard a lot of folks recommend massageto help with lymph fluid drainage. I do something called the LeBed Method to help. It's gentle, slow stretching and movement. We start each session blowing bubbles - really - it helps stimulate lymph flow. The movements are simple - I bet if you don't have a LeBed class nearby, you could find instructions online, if you're curious. I use a shower massage on a lighter setting in the shower - I don't know if it helps, but I do it. I do slow stretches whenever I think of it, too - turning my head to one side, then the other, bending my neck to move my head in a sort of circle so I move an ear near my shoulder, then move down til my chin is near my chest, then up til my other ear is near my other shoulder, then tip my head back as far as I can without pain to finish the circle with my "first" ear to shoulder position. I also do arm movements like I'm climbing a ladder (this also helps my shoulder range of movement, I think/hope). Do well - hope it eases up for you soon.

Thank you everyone
    Well I went to the ER yesterday because I could not stand the pain any more, they gave me the fentanyl patch on my oncologiests recomendation, wow what a difference this morning. I am more nausis this morning than I have been but the pain is minimul. They did a CT scan of my neck and I might have a inner ear infection or an infection in the general area that is causing the pain, put me on antibiotics and I am suppose to go see the ENT doc this week somtime. I have to call today and have them get me in, I also have a skin infection on the outer part of my left ear, the treig or somthing like that. Anyway they put me on the 25 dose of fentanyl patch and I actually got some decent sleep last night, a little grogey now but ok. Thank you everyone.

Brad
  • Pumakitty
    Pumakitty Member Posts: 652
    rmkbrad said:

Thank you everyone
    Well I went to the ER yesterday because I could not stand the pain any more, they gave me the fentanyl patch on my oncologiests recomendation, wow what a difference this morning. I am more nausis this morning than I have been but the pain is minimul. They did a CT scan of my neck and I might have a inner ear infection or an infection in the general area that is causing the pain, put me on antibiotics and I am suppose to go see the ENT doc this week somtime. I have to call today and have them get me in, I also have a skin infection on the outer part of my left ear, the treig or somthing like that. Anyway they put me on the 25 dose of fentanyl patch and I actually got some decent sleep last night, a little grogey now but ok. Thank you everyone.

Brad

Glad to hear
    I am glad they got you something to help. I hope the relief continues. Still sending hugs and prayers.

Kathy
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Pumakitty said:

Glad to hear
    I am glad they got you something to help. I hope the relief continues. Still sending hugs and prayers.

Kathy

Pain
    Hydrocodone and Morph for me. The Morph did help, but I didn't care for where it took me. Think it has a different affect on the body than the Patch thing, based on more experience than I wish I had in regards to Lung C and the end of times, you know. Hope things get better for you.

kcass