Did you give up Chemo or refuse to do it?

Options
LoveBabyJesus
LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
Hi Ladies,

I am starting my Chemo this Friday, April 1. (What a day!) Of course, I am very anxious. I picture that needle with the RED Drug hitting my vein and that’s it for me!  I guess it is normal to feel scared.

As many of you know, chemo is a controversial topic for some. Many people don’t agree with this treatment and feel it decreases their quality of life. I choose to live.

Has any of you refused chemo treatments? Why?

Has any of you stopped treatment, because it was too much to handle?

It’s good to know about what other people experience.

Thank you for your support.

Love

Comments

• skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    didn't question
    I didn't question the need for chemo - I wanted to beat the beast. While you're picturing the needle with the red stuff picture pac man eating up the cancer cells. It helps to get past the fears. Chemo today is better even than just 15 years ago when my dad went through it. I didn't have any major problems. (I consider losing my hair a minor problem and a badge of honor, so to speak.) I made it through just fine and you will too. Hugs & prayers!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    just hoping you do well
    I did not do chemo..but i'll be thinking of you...

Denise
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I had........
    I had chemo. My experience was that the nurses were very willing to carry on conversations and kind of "distract" from the seriousness of it. They are well aware that most are frightened about what is happening.

And I have faith in my doctors and I did/do what they tell me is the best thing for fighting my cancer. So, if need be, I would do it again if they recommended it.

I'm not sure I know anyone who has stopped treatment because they couldn't handle it. The oncos really do everything that they can to make you more comfortable and to address any problems or pain that you develop during chemo.

As far as quality of life, every day that I have is well worth the treatments that I have gone through. Chemo took very little away from me and I'm thankful for the drugs that have allowed me to continue my life. I had chemo because I too chose to live. I am far more afraid of cancer and of losing my life to it than I am of chemo.

Having said that, everyone has different ideas, but you asked about what others have experienced and I hope I have addressed that.

Hugs,
    CR
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

I had........
    I had chemo. My experience was that the nurses were very willing to carry on conversations and kind of "distract" from the seriousness of it. They are well aware that most are frightened about what is happening.

And I have faith in my doctors and I did/do what they tell me is the best thing for fighting my cancer. So, if need be, I would do it again if they recommended it.

I'm not sure I know anyone who has stopped treatment because they couldn't handle it. The oncos really do everything that they can to make you more comfortable and to address any problems or pain that you develop during chemo.

As far as quality of life, every day that I have is well worth the treatments that I have gone through. Chemo took very little away from me and I'm thankful for the drugs that have allowed me to continue my life. I had chemo because I too chose to live. I am far more afraid of cancer and of losing my life to it than I am of chemo.

Having said that, everyone has different ideas, but you asked about what others have experienced and I hope I have addressed that.

Hugs,
    CR

I'm like CR
    I praise the Lord for modern medicine and for wonderful caring doctors. Chemo wasn't easy and I'd hate to do it again BUT - I would if it means saving my life. I look at chemo in that way - it saved my life and I am thankful for the medicine. It took little from me and I believe I am a better person today having to go through it. ~~~~~ I love the place where God has brought me ~~~~
    I'm another one that choses to live - and we are warriors. :)

Kelly
  • csr771
    csr771 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    No Chemo
    According to my Oncotype DX test, chemo would have only benefited me 1-2%. I have a 10% likelihood of recurrence in breat cancer in 10 years. I am going to trust God for that 10%, but wish you well as you undergo treatment. I really did not want to do chemo and was glad that it was not the recommended treatment. As stupid as it sounds, I didn't want to lose my eyebrows. I think we all do what we think is best or is prescribed by our onco. Blessings.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I would not give up!
    I was not the least bit 'scared' to start Chemo - what I was scared of was the wait to start. I'm IBC - very aggressive - that had come up within a few days and all I wanted to do was start killing it while it was still 'kill-able'.

I started (17 days after DX) with 4 A/C - 2 weeks apart - then had Mod. Rad. Mast. 2 weeks after last A/C. 3 weeks after surgery I started 12 weekly Taxol. It was nasty - I was completely exhausted and did nothing but stay on the couch or in bed then entire time. Before the 10th infusion I talked with Dr T about how bad it was - he told me that he'd write orders for me to stop IF I couldn't do it as it had already done 85%-90% of what it could do. Not an option to me - I could never face Hubby, Son and G-daughter IF I hadn't done EVERYTHING I could and the Monster came back. Yes, with IBC the overall odds are that only 25%-45% (depends on the study) chance of making it to 5 years out so they may have to deal with the Monster again but they will know that I have done everything I could do to beat it - not been a wimp beacuse the battle got hard. Yes - this has been a battle and has been hard on me/my body physically but it has been much harder on them emotionally as they had to watch what I was going through and be able to really do anything except be there for me (which they were).

"Decreased quality of life" - what do you mean? My life has changed - I can't do everything that I did pre BC but I have a great quality of life. I have ongoing issues in fairly severe Lymphedema but none of that is going to stop me. "I am Woman - hear me roar" (Funny why that came to mind now - when I was in boot camp that was our Company song - with our words to it), I do whatever I want - maybe not quite as aggressively as before but definately do anything I want to. I have an even deeper faith in my Heavenly Father.

Would I do it all over again - in a heart beat - even knowing how hard it would be - the other opion is not one I'm willing to take - give up. IF i hadn't done all that I did - there is no way that I would be here today. Life is GOOD - even as it changes.

Susan
  • Rague
    Options
    CR1954 said:

I had........

Hugs,
    CR

Nurses never really chatted with me.
    That isn't completely true - while getting started they did. (Always had a book with me to read.) There were only 2 times that really chatted. Once was with a young woman I've known for years through our Church (we're in different Wards now so don't see each other often) and we had quite a nice chat. There was one new hire nurse that gave me a lecture about how her Church and her beliefs were the only way (She was not still there 2 weeks later as there were several complaints about her). All the Taxol - I would not have been a very good conversationalist - as soon as the IV Benadryl hit me, I went "Nighty-night".
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Will begin too
    Though I do not have a date for the start yet. I will use every weapon in my aresenal possible. I have HER2 and Herceptin is the chemo drug that is supposed to take care of it. I come from a line of strong matriarchs. I have a husband who is disabled. By my having cancer it threatens my husband, as I drive the benefit train in my family. Nobody threatens my husband's well being. So I will use all the tradional medicine available, make use of spiritual power, and add to that the power of positive thinking and meditation. Cancer is not my first war with life, nor will it be my last. With the power of all the aforementioned resources I intend to kick cancer's #@$%*. Cancer you have messed with the wrong woman!
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options
    I was ready to decline chemo.
    I had all the usual fears. I didn't want to lose my hair and I was afraid it would make me sick all the time. I was so sure I wouldn't be able to handle it that I refused to get a port until after I saw how my body handled the first dose of chemo. I had my first dose through a pic line which was removed after the chemo infusion. On day three of that first infusion, I had nausea so bad that I decided not to continue with the chemo. My daughter was very upset and begging me not to quit so I "shopped around" for another oncologist. I found one that assured me her patients never experience nausea so I got a port and continued with the chemo. I'm glad I didn't give up because I might not be here if I had. Yes, it's normal to feel scared but you can do it. Most of us have been there and we will be with you all the way. The first treatment is the hardest because you don't know what to expect. After that, you will feel more at ease. Let us know how it goes.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Love
    At first I was so afraid to take chemo...scared of what it may do to me but I did it and now it's over. I would never have refused it...never. It was doable, I was very tired for the first week after treatment but the next week I took walks, went grocery shopping etc. then came time for another treatment. You do what you have to do to live. I was very careful not to get sick because I didn't want to delay any of my treatments. It's very normal to be scared...everyone handles it different. Try to stay positive and with every treatment you are closer to the end. You can do this!!!!
    Please Let us know how you do april 1st.
    Annette
  • lizzymack1
    lizzymack1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Chemo...not so bad
    I went through 6 cycles of TAC. I started at the end of September and finished at the end of January. It was not easy but it is life-saving. I know so many people who have greatly benefited, and are still here today, from having chemo. The upside to chemo: no more facial hair (goodbye mustache and beard!!!!), no more cycles (goodbye "friend!"), no more leg shaving, getting a fresh start with a new head of hair (I like this one!), killing errant cancer cells (the biggest perk), being able to blame absent-mindedness on chemo brain (you will learn to use this to your benefit!) and finally naps, naps, naps! You also meet nice people in the infusion room and the nurses are invariably nice. We also had artists come through to paint pictures, dogs come to visit and bring their handlers(!) and people pay a lot of attention to you! I can't tell you it is going to be easy but I can tell you it is well worth it. Perhaps in the future we will know more about cancer but for now this is what we know and this is how we respond. Many have gone before you and are still here to tell. I think you are on the right, albeit a difficult, road.

I wish you the best-
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    After the first go-round I
    After the first go-round I said I would never do chemo again. But 8 1/2 years later when it came back, there was no thinking about it. I want to live! I can honestly say that the chemo and nausea medication now are so much better then 9 years ago.

It is do-able and I am so glad I did it the first time, or I wouldn't be here now.

For me the anticipation was so much worse than the infusion. I will be thinking of you!

Carol
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    jamiegww said:

I was ready to decline chemo.
    I had all the usual fears. I didn't want to lose my hair and I was afraid it would make me sick all the time. I was so sure I wouldn't be able to handle it that I refused to get a port until after I saw how my body handled the first dose of chemo. I had my first dose through a pic line which was removed after the chemo infusion. On day three of that first infusion, I had nausea so bad that I decided not to continue with the chemo. My daughter was very upset and begging me not to quit so I "shopped around" for another oncologist. I found one that assured me her patients never experience nausea so I got a port and continued with the chemo. I'm glad I didn't give up because I might not be here if I had. Yes, it's normal to feel scared but you can do it. Most of us have been there and we will be with you all the way. The first treatment is the hardest because you don't know what to expect. After that, you will feel more at ease. Let us know how it goes.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie

Wishing you good luck on
    Wishing you good luck on Friday with chemo.

Hugs, Diane
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thank you All for your kind
    Thank you All for your kind words.

I just wanted to know if any of you were so scared of the treatment that decided to stop. I personally think I need to do all I can to live, but some people don’t want to deal with the treatments. I have two members in my family who said NO to treatment, but they were in their late 60’s early 70’s. Both men (surprised?). Considering one had pancreatic c., he lived long – 5 years! That was a miracle. The other man lived less time. The women have said yes to treatment – both grandmom and great-aunt. But they didn’t survive long, because the stage was advanced. 

When I was diagnosed I rushed to try get everything done ASAP. Though they said “Waiting a few weeks won’t make a difference” (what does this mean anyway?!?!!?). It didn’t allow me time to stop and think about what was going on with me, though I know it was serious. Now that I got a break between harvesting my eggs and chemo, I had a chance to think about what is really going on. And it is getting me depressed. Trying to work and take care of business. Though I have no kids. I have 4 wonderful pets! But having free time is causing me some mental issues, for the first time.

BTW, in terms of hair – what did you guys do? I’ve always had very long hair, and so much. I am not sure if I should cut it all off now, or wait until it falls out, then react to it. What did you guys do to cope with this side effect? How soon after first treatment did you hair fall out?

Did any of you walk into chemo with any health issues?

Thanks for your support.

Love
  • Rague
    Options

Thank you All for your kind
    Thank you All for your kind words.

I just wanted to know if any of you were so scared of the treatment that decided to stop. I personally think I need to do all I can to live, but some people don’t want to deal with the treatments. I have two members in my family who said NO to treatment, but they were in their late 60’s early 70’s. Both men (surprised?). Considering one had pancreatic c., he lived long – 5 years! That was a miracle. The other man lived less time. The women have said yes to treatment – both grandmom and great-aunt. But they didn’t survive long, because the stage was advanced. 

When I was diagnosed I rushed to try get everything done ASAP. Though they said “Waiting a few weeks won’t make a difference” (what does this mean anyway?!?!!?). It didn’t allow me time to stop and think about what was going on with me, though I know it was serious. Now that I got a break between harvesting my eggs and chemo, I had a chance to think about what is really going on. And it is getting me depressed. Trying to work and take care of business. Though I have no kids. I have 4 wonderful pets! But having free time is causing me some mental issues, for the first time.

BTW, in terms of hair – what did you guys do? I’ve always had very long hair, and so much. I am not sure if I should cut it all off now, or wait until it falls out, then react to it. What did you guys do to cope with this side effect? How soon after first treatment did you hair fall out?

Did any of you walk into chemo with any health issues?

Thanks for your support.

Love

Long hair
    My hair was almost to my waist. I cut into a Gypsy Shag shortly after DX. It started coming out about day 10 after first A/C - by day 14 there was basically nothing left so had Son run the clippers over it. I had 2 wigs - a gypsy shag and a pixie - both frosted - very different than my normal very dark brown. Actually I wore scarves and watch caps more than my wigs as it was winter and winter here is quite nasty so tryiing to keep head warm was very important.

Susan
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Long hair
    My hair was almost to my waist. I cut into a Gypsy Shag shortly after DX. It started coming out about day 10 after first A/C - by day 14 there was basically nothing left so had Son run the clippers over it. I had 2 wigs - a gypsy shag and a pixie - both frosted - very different than my normal very dark brown. Actually I wore scarves and watch caps more than my wigs as it was winter and winter here is quite nasty so tryiing to keep head warm was very important.

Susan

No chemo
    I had No chemo but all my friends needed it.It affected all of them different.

Sorry so long. Upsets me writing it but want to give some insight.

My friends,

One had cancer in 3 places.Taking chemo could give her a year.Not taking it only 6 weeks.She decided to take it.Her very first and only chemo treatment she was so sick her husband talked her into refusing it.He was the one cleaning the bathroom so that was a no no.She had to sign papers to quit. With her husband right there convincing her.She had brain cancer for one.The other 2 places liver and lung.She lived 4 months after that.

Another took the chemo and was terrified and had some problems with it.She was then told they could give her a sedative to calm her.That was better.She didn't have alot of nausea and no shaking beyond her control.Her treatments were on Friday and she always made it back to work on Monday with no problems.To keep her immune system up she drank alot of orange juice.

Third friend was very very allergic to chemo.To the point she had to go into the hospital every time she had it.She would be admitted the next day.She had a aggressive fast growing breast cancer and had to fight it.She couldn't give up.She is doing good after 6 years but her markers are up.Still they find nothing. It is a worry for her doctor since he feels she will not live through any more chemo treatments.He hopes the marker is wrong because he said she will not make it. BUT she WILL take it no matter what.

The other (classmate/friend) was a nurse who had cancer for 12 years.She was a fighter.She would have chemo in the morning and then go to work (where she was a nurse) later.She always did that.She was a single mom raising 2 sons. She couldn't miss a day of work.She did get a recurance I think her 4th year.It was in her bones.She went through more chemo.Lived more years.Then her sister was diagnosed.She stood by her with her treatment.The sister only had it 3 years and passed.So her surviving sister had to bury her.The next year my classmate/friend passed away.Since both were divorced they are buried next to one another. I visit their grave every year and think about what they must have been through.Both sisters fighting for life at the same time.

Lynn Smith
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

just hoping you do well
    I did not do chemo..but i'll be thinking of you...

Denise

I didn't take chemo either,
    I didn't take chemo either, but, wishing you good luck in whether you choose chemo or not.
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options
    I never questioned chemo
    I never really questioned the chemo recommendation. My surgeon and onc are both highly regarded and when they told me this was necessary to survive I went with it. My chemo was neo-adjuvant (before surgery) to reduce the size of a 6cm tumor and hopefully get clean margins. The chemo shrunk the tumor to 3 cm. I was able to have a lumpectomy and had clean margins. But because I still had 2 lymph nodes postive I am doing radiation for 7 weeks and I will be on tamoxifen for the next 5 years.

I have never been a medicine person. Although many of my family members are in medicine... brother and nephew are doctors...mother, grandmother, 4 aunts, 2 nieces and brother are nurses. I always try to fix my medical problems through natural means...was diagnosed with high blood pressure...so changed my diet and started exercising and they took me off meds. But this is different. I don't believe there are any natural fixes to cancer. If there were I don't think I would have it. And there are so many people who have been diagnosed with it who live healthy lifestyles.

It's your choice. But I think this type of treatment is giving you the best chance to survive and not have a recurrance. If you trust and believe in your doctors, I would do what they recommend. Best of luck to you.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    new2me said:

I'm like CR
    I praise the Lord for modern medicine and for wonderful caring doctors. Chemo wasn't easy and I'd hate to do it again BUT - I would if it means saving my life. I look at chemo in that way - it saved my life and I am thankful for the medicine. It took little from me and I believe I am a better person today having to go through it. ~~~~~ I love the place where God has brought me ~~~~
    I'm another one that choses to live - and we are warriors. :)

Kelly

Sending you lots of positive
    Sending you lots of positive thoughts and lots of luck for Friday! Keep us updated.

Angie