informal survey Sleep Apnea

Options
cher76
cher76 Member Posts: 292
Thought I would take my own survey for a question that I have wondered about since my husband was diagnosed in October. How many people with EC also had been diagnosed with sleep apnea prior to the EC diagnoses? My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea 17 years ago. Before that time he always had indigestion and acid reflux. After he was diagnosed with sleep apnea and started using a c-pap machine his indigestion seemed to go away. He use to tell people how wonderful it was to not have the reflux anymore. The doctors seem to think that his EC started at the junction and because of the size of the tumor (20 cm) they seem to think he had it for several years. We have wondered if the c-pap maybe masked the symptoms of the disease. Anyway, just curious as our doctor said many EC patients have sleep apnea, but I have never heard anyone mention it here on the site.

Comments

• birdiequeen
    birdiequeen Member Posts: 319
    Options
    Husband had Sleep Apnea
    My husband had Sleep Apnea diagnoses. He had a c-pap he did not use every night. But he also did not have any symptoms of EC other than reflux for years. Due to the reflux they found Barrett's about 11 years ago and were scoping him every other years. The cancer they found was in the early stage due to this monitoring.
  • linda1120
    linda1120 Member Posts: 389
    Options
    sleep apnea
    No sleep apnea with my husband.
  • JimboC
    JimboC Member Posts: 264
    Options
    I also have sleep apnea and
    I also have sleep apnea and use a cpap every night. It never helped with reflux though. I was on ppis like Nexium but I would still get the reflux occasionally when I would eat something foolish. I have read that Barretts Esophagus can still advance to EC even if no symptoms are present which is why it is so important that anyone experiencing reflux be evaluated. I now tell everyone I run into now, heartburn can cause cancer. Once they get over the disbelief, I explain. Personally, I think this should be on the back of all those OTC meds and more education done in the medical community.
  • BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    Options
    Husband had severe sleep apnea
    Used C-pap. Did not have Barrett's esophagus. No known acid reflux except at family holiday feasts. Lots of nasal drainage due to allergies which oftentimes led to much throat congestion. Allergies a two-edge situation: caused him lots of problems with throat congestion and nausea if not controlled. However, since EC is a mucous producing tumor, I think I understand, its mucous added to my husband's allergy mucous and caused him to seek medical help due to increased phlegm production and subsequent throwing up. That's how he found he had EC. Also, had severe arthritis. Took 500 mg naproxen every night at bedtime for years and then one in the morning. I have opined that with the acidic aspect of naproxen, taking it at bedtime, excessive throat drainage, that the pill may have lain in his throat causing an irritation. Interestingly, since the chemo/radiation and surgery, has had little arthritis pain.
  • cher76
    cher76 Member Posts: 292
    Options
    BMGky said:

Husband had severe sleep apnea
    Used C-pap. Did not have Barrett's esophagus. No known acid reflux except at family holiday feasts. Lots of nasal drainage due to allergies which oftentimes led to much throat congestion. Allergies a two-edge situation: caused him lots of problems with throat congestion and nausea if not controlled. However, since EC is a mucous producing tumor, I think I understand, its mucous added to my husband's allergy mucous and caused him to seek medical help due to increased phlegm production and subsequent throwing up. That's how he found he had EC. Also, had severe arthritis. Took 500 mg naproxen every night at bedtime for years and then one in the morning. I have opined that with the acidic aspect of naproxen, taking it at bedtime, excessive throat drainage, that the pill may have lain in his throat causing an irritation. Interestingly, since the chemo/radiation and surgery, has had little arthritis pain.

My husband also has had
    My husband also has had severe allergies all his life. In the last few months he has experienced alot of mucous in the esophagus. The doctor prescribed a medication that is sometimes used during surgery to slow down secretions. It has helped him not only with the mucous in the esophagus but also with the allergies.
    I also have made it my mission to tell everyone I know that if they have reflux they need to see a doctor. It is amazing to me how little people know about this cancer. I wanted to yell at the TV tonight when a food show was talking about extremely hot, spicy food and that the more reflux people get form the food the better because people regard that as a badge of honor for having eaten this ridiculously hot food. I wanted to say "Yeah, they'll think that until they are diagnosed with EC!"