Question about post op chemo

Options
nancyann3
nancyann3 Member Posts: 173 Member
For those of you who had postive nodes from surgery path report. How long after surgery did you have post op chemo?

Thanks
Nancy

Comments

• birdiequeen
    birdiequeen Member Posts: 319
    Options
    Similar question
    Nancy,

I hope you don't mind me tagging on with a similar question about Chemo.

Has there been anyone with stage 1 that did not receive either pre or post op chemo and or radiation. I understand the stats show better survival rates of those who have pre op chemo and radiation. But, since most EC cancers are caught in the later stage I was wondering if we had any real life stories from survivors that had early stage and only the surgery?

Thank you,
    Birdiequeen
  • lifeb4now
    lifeb4now Member Posts: 6
    Options
    post op chemo window
    In our case,46 yr.old male,stage 3-adeno at gastro/espho/junction{5 microscopic positive nodes of 24],the oncologist stated that the 'window' for post op chemo was between 6 weeks to 3 month[6 weeks chemo]would be most effective,but stated there wasnt any 'test' to take after post op chemo,to measure effectiveness,surgery sept2010,finshed 6wk post op chemo dec2010,first cat scan afterwards was feb2011 all clear,followup cats at 3 month intervals.
    The original diagosis was May 2010,started chemo/radiation both for 6 weeks prior to surgery,july-aug.2010.
  • Similar question
    Nancy,

I hope you don't mind me tagging on with a similar question about Chemo.

Has there been anyone with stage 1 that did not receive either pre or post op chemo and or radiation. I understand the stats show better survival rates of those who have pre op chemo and radiation. But, since most EC cancers are caught in the later stage I was wondering if we had any real life stories from survivors that had early stage and only the surgery?

Thank you,
    Birdiequeen

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • GerryS
    GerryS Member Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My experience......
    No pre op chemo/radiation. Surgery followed by 2 months ( 2 rounds) chemo. One node had micro tumor, Cisplatin and 5FU. God Bless........
    Gerry
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    GerryS said:

My experience......
    No pre op chemo/radiation. Surgery followed by 2 months ( 2 rounds) chemo. One node had micro tumor, Cisplatin and 5FU. God Bless........
    Gerry

Nancy, had post op chemo after surgery
    Hi Nancy,
    My surgery was 12/8/09 and my post chemo started in mid February. I really needed the time to get some strength back. I was given Taxotere every 21 days for 3 cycles and it was pretty strong and took a lot out of me but now I am doing fine. We had some insurance questions so I think I started a little earlier than my dr was recommending but it worked out fine. If you get Neupogen take Clariten the day of treatment and 2 days after it helps with the bone pain. take care and good luck!!
    Donna70
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    In my case it was about 9 weeks after surgery
    Nancy,

I had Ivor Lewis surgery on December 3rd of 2009 and had one positive lymph node found in post operative pathology. I started my chemo on February 8th of 2010. So I guess the timing would be about 9 weeks after surgery.

One of the issues that has to be considered is wound healing. With an Ivor Lewis you have some fairly extensive incisions that have to heal prior to starting chemotherapy.

I had 18 weeks of Cisplatin, Epirubicin, and 5 FU.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    6/21/2010 CT Scan NED
    3/14/2011 CT Scan NED

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!
  • nancyann3
    nancyann3 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    paul61 said:

In my case it was about 9 weeks after surgery
    Nancy,

I had Ivor Lewis surgery on December 3rd of 2009 and had one positive lymph node found in post operative pathology. I started my chemo on February 8th of 2010. So I guess the timing would be about 9 weeks after surgery.

One of the issues that has to be considered is wound healing. With an Ivor Lewis you have some fairly extensive incisions that have to heal prior to starting chemotherapy.

I had 18 weeks of Cisplatin, Epirubicin, and 5 FU.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    6/21/2010 CT Scan NED
    3/14/2011 CT Scan NED

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!

Thanks for all your replies
    We are 6 weeks out on the 30th. Seen the surgeon yesterday for follow up and the options given to us were, see the med onc and see what he would like to do, or see surgeon in 6 weeks and have ct scan to see where we are. That would put us over 12 weeks out. The surgeon didn't seem like he thought that was to long, but I am just wondering how everyone else's docs handled it. I guess I am just worried we could wait to long. Would love to give him more time. He is healing well and starting to be up and around more. I just dont want to give any cancer time.

thanks again
    Nancy
  • mccoy70
    mccoy70 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I had my surgery in July
    I had my surgery in July 2010 and had two rounds of chemo after surgery, 21 days apart starting in late August. My oncologist told me we had a couple of months if needed. A lot had to do with how quickly you recover, weight wise, blood count, etc, which I did rather quickly. I had the MIE surgery which made a difference in my recovery.
  • dlrepic
    dlrepic Member Posts: 62
    Options
    post-op chemo
    Hi - sorry so late

My dad had 1 of 11 nodes show positive after pre-op chemoradiation and MIE. His surgeon and oncologist both were against post-op chemo, claimed he didn't need it. But with advice and support from this board (thank you William and Dr. Luketich, we persuaded them. However, dad only received 10 days before he devopled massive blood clots and had a pulmanary embolism - but 10 days is better than none. He had his 3 month check up and all is stable.
    Danielle
  • yesterday12345
    yesterday12345 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    GerryS said:

My experience......
    Gerry

chemo rounds
    My 41 year old son had minimally invasive EC surgery. 24 nodes removed 11 with some wign of cancer. Margins on surgical area were clear. He as had one round of chemo and this dropped his white count dramatically. We are wondering how many rounds of chemo should be pursued. We believe that the key to not having a recurrence is to create an alkyline environment in his body but we also want to eliminate any current cancer cells that may be lurking. Anybody have any history on how many rounds? One lady wrote that her doctor told her that three was the right number and that anything after that was a safety net. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks, we need some help here.
  • yesterday12345
    Options
    Donna70 said:

Nancy, had post op chemo after surgery
    Hi Nancy,
    My surgery was 12/8/09 and my post chemo started in mid February. I really needed the time to get some strength back. I was given Taxotere every 21 days for 3 cycles and it was pretty strong and took a lot out of me but now I am doing fine. We had some insurance questions so I think I started a little earlier than my dr was recommending but it worked out fine. If you get Neupogen take Clariten the day of treatment and 2 days after it helps with the bone pain. take care and good luck!!
    Donna70

your treatment
    Hello Nancy,
    My sons Dr. wants to do 6 rounds of a three drug coctail and we think that is extreme. Did you only have the one drug? Can you tell me what stage was you cancer? thanks and I pray that you continue to do well.
  • yesterday12345
    Options
    GerryS said:

My experience......
    Gerry

chemo rounds
    Hello Gerry,

I trust that you are still doing well. I posted my sons situation today and in reading yours that you only had two rounds of chemo makes me think that the 6 that are being recommended are too many. Can you please tell me what your stageing was. He also had more nodes with micro tumors than you. (11 out of 24 removed). Thank you for help. God Bless.