Options
2»

Comments

• luvmum
    luvmum Member Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Dear Pam
    Dear Pam,

Don't worry too much, your attitude really does matter. My mum had 1 round of XELOX, 3 rounds of FOLFOX and she was given a chance to have liver resection on Monday. She doesn't know much about life expectancy, about stages... she knows nothing about statistics, so she was very positive since she was diagnosed on 27 Oct 2010! She keeps thinking of what she wants to do when she recovers! My mum is 70 years old and she survived the Liver resection on Monday (28 March 2011). She had 7 lesions and is KRAS-mutated, her prognosis at that time was really not that positive! But we never give up our hope! Her CEA was 89 after her colon resection on 29th Oct 2010! In fact, that figure freak me out at that time. I really think the less you know, the happier you will be!

I hope this will give you some positive hope!
    Love and hugs
    Dora
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    5-FU and Oxi
    HI Pam,

Sorry to hear that you are in the Cancer family. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. FolFox (5-FU/Oxi) has less side effects on the hair line. Your hair will thin, but the chances of complete hair loss is very low.

Coping with Chmo is mostly about attitude. Yes it sucks! At the same time knowing what is coming helps one cope. The Diarrhea and learning how to compensate for it was the worst and still is the worst part for me. I have been in Chemo FolFox for 5 1/2 months, treatment every two week, blah blah. The Headaches, nausea, and the diarhea was the worst part for me. Stay hydrated and figure out what meds are needed to cope with the diarrhea. The headaches and the nausea, I felt the meds made me feel just as bad as the symptoms. Light headed and tired is not for me.

Get out of the house! No matter how bad I feel, I still get out and walk the dogs. I still get out and get milk. These little trips help me from going stir crazy. I get some outside human contact, not to mention having lunch with friends and family. Thurday i was feeling good enough that I walked up a local mountain. I felt like I was not worried about the time it took and made the exercise. I was sucking air at the top, but I got a little achievement for myself. I slept the rest of the day also. lol

I hid out the first time I went through cancer. This is my second round and I am much more up front about it. I have had a very positive experience this time around.

Best Always, mike
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hair Loss & other stuff
    Hi Everyone, I am new here, but not new to cancer. Pam I went through the same routine and did not loose my hair.
    I was working when i was first diagnosed with colon cancer. They removed a foot of the colon and told me they got it all. I made it 5 years and 2 months, then it showed up in the liver. They took 2/3 of the liver, followed by chemo. woohoo a year later AFTER they took out the port one more ct cause I was having discomfort in the area of the surgical hernia. Oh yeah, nothing like an extra lump. The results came back and there is a 2.4x1.4cm hypodense lesion of the right hepatic lobe. Also a stable 6mm subplueral noncalcified nodule in right lower lobe and a stable 2mm pulmonary nodule in left lower lobe. Now I have copied this info from the report. The Dr. did not see fit to explain any of this, except we found a spot. go get another ct and pt scan and here is when your appt, with the surgeon is. I have to wait 3 weeks for answers and am very upset. Now as a side note, i studied all summer to pass the Real Estate Licencing test in Fl. I just closed my first house and now I start all over with the whole mess. May i add, I am 65 years old, was widowed for 15 years. I met a wonderful man and we were married 2 months when it showed up in my liver. so there goes 1 year. Then Larry had back surgery, got staph of the bone and was horribly sick for six months. Finally he is doing better, we are back to planning our "on hold" life and now its my turn to be sick again. With each illness we have had to cancell a trip, this time i am supposed to accompany my granddaughter to ITALY the end of June til july 7th. Supposed is the operative word here. So there ya have it. I just wanted to give everyone an idea of my history. I read your posts and think OMG Judy, stop whining. I had no idea it just keeps showing up. I was totally convinced the chemo would get it. I have 4 daughters and 12 grandchildren. I hate what this does to them. I hate what this does to us! So if anyone can help out with the ct stuff I sure would appreciate it.
  • pscott1
    pscott1 Member Posts: 207 Member
    Options

pam
    so sorry for this news but if it gives you any comfort i am in your shoes right now.in feb.2011 i had a liver biopsy and i have got 3 spots on my liver and 2 on my lung.just had 1 treatment of folfox+avastin.i too just dont know how to get in the fight mode.having a recuurance is more devistating than original dx for me.i try to take one day at a time.and know every breath i take could be my last.hang in there and feel free to pm me anytime...Godbless...johnnybegood

Johnny,
    Thank you for your

Johnny,
    Thank you for your understanding of how I feel. I'm sorry for your diagnosis as well. I'm going to have to do that "one day at a time" thing because it's overwhelming trying to live days or weeks ahead of yourself! Thanks for being there for me and I will be there for you also! Pam