Overly optimistic parents/recovery time

Hi all-

My 80 year old mother was recently diagnosed with stage 1T at a hospital in Alabama. She had a PET scan and a biopsy, and was told it would be a simple procedure to endoscopically remove the lesion. It was 4 cm. The PET scan showed no additional cancer. My parents called my sister and I to tell us it "was no big deal" and that they weren't even going to mention it, but wanted us to know for our own health history.

I strongly encouraged them to get a second opinion ( they live part time in Alabama) They came up to Atlanta, where I live, and went to Emory. My mom had the endoscopic procedure done there last week, which was her choice. The doctors had recommended the more major surgery, but she wanted to have the less invasive one first. It seemed to go well, but then the additional biopsy results showed the cancer had spread behind the esophagus. ( forgive me, I don't know the technical terms)

She is scheduled tomorrow for the surgery where the incision is made in her neck and one by her ribs to pull the stomach up into her chest area after removing the esophagus. My parents did not ask any questions of the doctors or surgeons. They seem to not want to know any details. I talked to the surgeon, and he told me 7 to 10 day hospital stay, plus a feeding tube temporarily. When I told my parents this, they flipped out and seemed totally surprised that it was so major. They are both very bright, active and well read people, but they seem to have their hands over their ears about all of this.

They had planned to drive back to their home after the surgery, but now are coming to stay with me in Atlanta so I can help. I will be the primary care giver, and know I will learn much more tomorrow when I am at the hospital, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    Hi, So sorry your mom didn't
    Hi, So sorry your mom didn't have this surgery first.I had my surgery(not the same type) at Emory three years ago and have done very well. it sounds like your mom will be having A LESS INVASIVE surgery than I had, but it is still major surgery. Has she had any chemo? Most of the time chemo is before surgery. I'm sure you will hear from others that have had this type of surgery. There's lots of people on here that can help you as she goes through the surgery, treatment and recovery. There will be a lot of life changes, and we have so many knowledgeble people that can help with answers to so many things that come up. That's what is so good about this site, no matter what happens one of has probably experienced it.
    Be praying for your mom tomorrow. Please let us know how things go,
    Sandra
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Alicia, I am surprised at the treatment plan
    Hi Alicia,
    It is amazing to me that your parents were given such a bum steer as to what all this involved.My tumor was 4 cms and I was staged at T3N1MO. At first I was told mine was scoopable but after my first esophageal ultrasound and biopsy it became obvious that it was not scoopable and I had pre surgery chemo and radiation, then the longer Ivor Lewis surgery and then post surgery chemo for a bad node. I wish that the drs were more thorough and your parents could have contacted you sooner for help and assistance. I wish your Mom a swift recovery but am so surprised that this is the route the drs are taking. William has excellent advice and will be a good mentor on here plus the rest of us who have survived this.take care,
    Donna70