Ovarian symptoms

mjjones453
mjjones453 Member Posts: 155
I am a member of the Breast Cancer forum, having been treated for breast cancer. I am currently having problems, with some symptoms that are frustrating me. I have been feeling bloated, full feeling in my abdomine, with some lower pelvic pain at times. I have also had to stop eating way sooner than I normaly would because of feeling full. I also have awakened in the middle of the night(I am a stomach sleeper) with my abdomin throbbing. I am due next week to have a Transvaginal ultra sound, and my Oncologist did order a CA-125 blood test along with my other blood tests. I am pre-menopausal, or peri, and I still have a period. I have been finding that the symptoms subside during my periods, and then start up with in 5 days or more, and last until my next period. Did anyone experience this? I have been taken off of tamoxifen for a month to see if they were the cause of my symptoms, of which I am finding it is not, but that the tamoxifen adds to the symptoms. Does this make sence? Any thoughts??? I do have a strong family history of OVCA, My Maternal Grandmother had it, along with one of her sisters, My dad's sister died in her 5o's of OVCA. Tested Negative for the BRCA 1 + 2 gene. Mary

Comments

• kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Your symptoms of feeling
    bloated, full feeling and not being able to eat much coincide with the symptoms I had when I was diagnosed with ov/ca. I cannot relate to the info about your period as I was 62 when I was diagnosed. You are doing the right things by getting a transvaginal ultra sound and having the CA125 blood test. You have come to the right place for information and support. There are so many knowledgeable women here and everyone is truly supportive. I sincerely hope your symptoms lead to some other ailment.

Karen
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Not everything is cancer
    If you tested negative to BRCA 1 & 2 then it is unlikely you have inherited the rouge gene that causes ovca. Unfortunately the symptoms you describe do sound like either ovca and PPC (Primary Peritoneal Cancer) but also it could be IBS. I know when you have cancer every tiny sign and symptom you get in any part of your body you automatically think I HAVE CANCER or MY CANCER HAS SPREAD. It is not always the case - it may be something else.

I have PPC and was tested positive for BRCA2 and my mum had breast cancer. It makes sense that I got PPC but if you are negative then it might not be cancer.

I hope things turn out good for you, please keep us posted. Take care Tina xx
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676

Not everything is cancer
    If you tested negative to BRCA 1 & 2 then it is unlikely you have inherited the rouge gene that causes ovca. Unfortunately the symptoms you describe do sound like either ovca and PPC (Primary Peritoneal Cancer) but also it could be IBS. I know when you have cancer every tiny sign and symptom you get in any part of your body you automatically think I HAVE CANCER or MY CANCER HAS SPREAD. It is not always the case - it may be something else.

I have PPC and was tested positive for BRCA2 and my mum had breast cancer. It makes sense that I got PPC but if you are negative then it might not be cancer.

I hope things turn out good for you, please keep us posted. Take care Tina xx

Look for a GYN/ONC now
    Even if you didn't have a family history of OVCA, your symptoms are worrisome. You know your body and something is not right.

Rather than wait around for the "bad news," I would start looking for the best gyn/oncologist in town--THE BEST. If you don't need one, GREAT! But if you do need one, you will have already done your research.

Maybe someone on this discussion board can tell you how to go about finding a good doctor. I just got lucky.
  • mjjones453
    mjjones453 Member Posts: 155

Look for a GYN/ONC now
    Even if you didn't have a family history of OVCA, your symptoms are worrisome. You know your body and something is not right.

Rather than wait around for the "bad news," I would start looking for the best gyn/oncologist in town--THE BEST. If you don't need one, GREAT! But if you do need one, you will have already done your research.

Maybe someone on this discussion board can tell you how to go about finding a good doctor. I just got lucky.

Dr.s appointment
    I had my Dr.s appointment yesterday, following up with the Transvaginal Ultrasound, and also the blood work. The CA125 was at 8. Which I know is good. The Ultrasound showed a cyst on one of the ovaries, and something that he wasn't concerned about in the cervix. I think that we are taking a wait and see approach. He suggest trying metamuesal, to see if it would help regulate symptoms that might be from irritable bowl syndrom. I am not sure how I feel, but I trust this Dr. For what its worth, Mary
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

Dr.s appointment
    I had my Dr.s appointment yesterday, following up with the Transvaginal Ultrasound, and also the blood work. The CA125 was at 8. Which I know is good. The Ultrasound showed a cyst on one of the ovaries, and something that he wasn't concerned about in the cervix. I think that we are taking a wait and see approach. He suggest trying metamuesal, to see if it would help regulate symptoms that might be from irritable bowl syndrom. I am not sure how I feel, but I trust this Dr. For what its worth, Mary

I would go see a gym, my
    I would go see a gym, my daughter has cysts on her ovaries and they can turn to cancer. I would not wait. No way!
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    Nana b said:

I would go see a gym, my
    I would go see a gym, my daughter has cysts on her ovaries and they can turn to cancer. I would not wait. No way!

Waiting
    It sounds like you are still concerned and will have trouble waiting.

Initially, I found the pelvic mass myself which the ultrasound showed to be an elarged ovary from a 5cm complex cyst and "a 7mm uterine fibroid" and I did have a CA-125 of 700 before surgery.

Some of the women on this discussion board have reported that their CA-125 stayed normal despite having ovarian cancer. With your family history, you might feel better to have a biopsy done, then you could relax.