Pain after neck dissection

Options
2»

Comments

• Constant_Pain96
    Constant_Pain96 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    because of Google...

I'm replying to this old thread because it's the first result on Google when I type "constant pain after radical neck dissection"

I had RND 1996 & have been in great pain ever since, every day, every night.

I've seen surgeons, pain clinics, alternative and complementary therapists.

I've been on "all" the meds, inc gabapentin, amitriptyline, pregabalin, oxycontin, tramadol. Nothing works, but amy gets me off to sleep.

I discovered, on my own, that I have multiple trigger points in my upper back, then found a Myofascial Release therapist. She's been more help than anything else: normal massage is pleasant but offers only very temporary relief.

• Mhowe
    Mhowe Member Posts: 12
    Options

because of Google...

I'm replying to this old thread because it's the first result on Google when I type "constant pain after radical neck dissection"

I had RND 1996 & have been in great pain ever since, every day, every night.

I've seen surgeons, pain clinics, alternative and complementary therapists.

I've been on "all" the meds, inc gabapentin, amitriptyline, pregabalin, oxycontin, tramadol. Nothing works, but amy gets me off to sleep.

I discovered, on my own, that I have multiple trigger points in my upper back, then found a Myofascial Release therapist. She's been more help than anything else: normal massage is pleasant but offers only very temporary relief.

pain

first neck desection 1987, 2nd 2003. been on meds that you list. burning mucsels in back, pain in neck. trigger points work great for burning mucsels and tight mucsels. If your shoulders are going forward,cortisone shot work into shoulders. a lot of my problems went away. 

good luck

• Mhowe
    edited July 2020 #24
    Options
    Pain after cancer

Try to find a pain Doc who gives tigger point shots 

i have had my throat cut from ear to ear over 6,000 rads of radiatio. 33 yrs ago left side 17 yrs ago right side. Doctors don't know what todo since you are talking body parts being cut out. Musce, nerves.

make sure you keep your shoulders back. Inverted table at 45 dogs arms hanging out will help kept shoulder pain down.

• Mhowe
    Options
    vsudd said:

Pain after neck dissection
    Yes, we have talked to surgeon and all they say is go to physical therapy and pain clinic. We went to physical therapy for about 6 months and the pain got so bad he had to quit. He is now taking pain Meds every 4 to 6 hours but doesn't like taking them because it makes him sleep and he would like to go to work or do something more productive. He is going to acupuncture and I think that is helping some. Maybe this is the start of getting over the surgery. Thank You for you reply. Glad you are doing well. Valerie

Look into tigger point shots

Try tigger point shots. I am a 34 yrs since first cancer 17 yrs on second cancer surger.

in the 34 years I have learned that doctors and physical therapy don't have a clue on what todo. They are not trained in what happens after body parts are removed. Don't forget use a good Chiropactic. It works.