Ultrasound after neck dissection?

DrMary
DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
Doug is having a lot of nerve pain after his neck dissection - they didn't cut nerves, but they did move them out of the way to get at nodes. The right side of his face is partially paralyzed (the ENT is sure this will fade in a few months) and he gets stabbing pain in his ears sometimes.

Massage to get rid of the lymphedma can really irritate the nerves - someone suggested ultrasound instead.

Anyone tried this yet?

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi DrMary

Ask his ENT about using Lyrica 50MC Capsules it works great on my nerves when I lost my voice and was having a lot of pain due to the nerve damage.

Hoping you the best
    Hondo
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Hondo said:

Hi DrMary

Ask his ENT about using Lyrica 50MC Capsules it works great on my nerves when I lost my voice and was having a lot of pain due to the nerve damage.

Hoping you the best
    Hondo

it's an extremely gentle massage
    almost superficial and only on the surface of the skin. Do you have a true lymphedema therapist? It actually was quite soothing to me and never irritated the nerves. Just moving those babies can send them into turmoil. You really need someone who has trained in this type of therapy. A yoga practice with relaxing and breathing poses will work wonders for him. You can actually relax the cheeks, jaws, tongue, skull, neck, and shoulders but you have to keep at it or you lose what you've gained in a matter of days. Don't know a thing about ultrasound therapy.
  • KristynRuth86
    KristynRuth86 Member Posts: 140
    ratface said:

it's an extremely gentle massage
    almost superficial and only on the surface of the skin. Do you have a true lymphedema therapist? It actually was quite soothing to me and never irritated the nerves. Just moving those babies can send them into turmoil. You really need someone who has trained in this type of therapy. A yoga practice with relaxing and breathing poses will work wonders for him. You can actually relax the cheeks, jaws, tongue, skull, neck, and shoulders but you have to keep at it or you lose what you've gained in a matter of days. Don't know a thing about ultrasound therapy.

Numb-ish?
    Same here!! I had my dissection May '10 and though the stabbing pain in my ear has faded it's still there. Half of my face and my neck still feels.. I wouldn't say numb.. but numbed is the only word I can think to describe it. It slowly gets better but almost a year later it's still there. I haven't tried ultrasound therapy so I want to look into that! Also what ratface mentioned sounds good too!