Every cough, sniffle and sneeze

So I'm roughly five months out of treatment, yea!, but in that space of time I've had two head colds, both of which have lingered for a delightful 2-3 weeks. Keeping in mind that I have a small child in school, who brings home just about every germ imaginable, and I take the bus to and from work every day. Yes I wash my hands when I get to work, before I eat, after I eat, when I get home, I am very aware of my exposure. Prior to treatment, I got sick enough to stay home *maybe* once a year, if that.

I'm eating as healthy as I can, taking a multivitamin, trying not to over do it, sleeping, and even had my GP guilt trip me into a flu shot at the end of flu season.

Before I go calling my GP, I just want to know if it's normal to experience more routine illness after going through treatment. Logic says yes, the immune system has taken a hit and needs to rebuild itself. Thoughts? At what point do I call my GP, throw up the white flag and ask to be placed into a bubble?

Oh, and I now sound like a 86 year old, two pack a day smoker working for a 1-900 number - despite the fact that I am none of the above.

Thanks!

Comments

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    Your a Germ Magnet
    GraceLibby,

You are a prime candidate for a germ farm. You do have allot working against you with young ones at home bringing whatever home from school. I am very careful when I am around our grandkids, they always seem to have something.

My family Doctor told me that because we have gone through our treatments, we are run down whether we believe we are or not. We can be anemic. He recommended that I always get a Flu shot and also get a pneumonia shot. You only need to get one pnemonia shot if you are over 65. If you are under 65, then you may need to get another one after 65. I hope that helps. I was 58 when I got mine, so I may need another one down the road.

Your throat has been hit with radiation, I sounded like a frog when I spoke for nearly a year. Now my voice is pretty much the way it was before treatment.

My Best to You and Everyone Here
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Heavier regimen
    Hi GL,

I have 2 little kids and our little girl goes to preschool with about 20 pilots kids so you can imagine what she brings home. Since treatment finished Oct 2009, I have not had even a sniffle except one mild laryngitis thing over Christmas for a week, but the local Chemist said the whole town had the same bug. I used to get colds and flu and bronchitis every year.

I am taking a load of anti-oxidants and other stuff to boost my immune system now and it is working wonders. You might need a little more than just a Multi Vitamin ??

Scam
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Colds
    Grace
    The last thing I got with the rads was a cold, thanks to one of the rad Technicians. Came down with it the day after my last rad. Remember it lasted close to a month, and had me downright concerned about being able to physically deal with it. And, living in the upper-midwest, I've been dealing with the second cold of the season over the last couple of weeks, and this cold has been particularly rough. Number of co-workers have missed 3-4 days work, also. That said, the rest of my first year of post-tx went really well in regards to the common cold, etc., which I do remember being surprised to the Positive about. Sick people tend to be who waits in the lobbies of Dr. offices, so that is a good place to avoid, if possible.

kcass
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Kent Cass said:

Colds
    Grace
    The last thing I got with the rads was a cold, thanks to one of the rad Technicians. Came down with it the day after my last rad. Remember it lasted close to a month, and had me downright concerned about being able to physically deal with it. And, living in the upper-midwest, I've been dealing with the second cold of the season over the last couple of weeks, and this cold has been particularly rough. Number of co-workers have missed 3-4 days work, also. That said, the rest of my first year of post-tx went really well in regards to the common cold, etc., which I do remember being surprised to the Positive about. Sick people tend to be who waits in the lobbies of Dr. offices, so that is a good place to avoid, if possible.

kcass

Lucky Here
    Grace,

I think I've just been lucky. I'm 11 months post-tx and knock-on-wood, haven't had anything yet. This is an interesting post though. I'm curious as to what others think on this. Somewhere in the past someone here implied that due to the chemo we received we may not be as susceptable to getting sick the first year. Wonder if that's true??

Besides lucky, I avoid being around sick people. It helps that I live with the "virus-nazi" (nurse) who follows me around with a bottle of germ-x and interrogates anyone we go out with as to what germs they've been exposed to and if they wash their hands after going to the bathroom. I had the flu shot but will have to look into the pneumonia shot (good point Marine).

Greg
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Greg53 said:

Lucky Here
    Grace,

I think I've just been lucky. I'm 11 months post-tx and knock-on-wood, haven't had anything yet. This is an interesting post though. I'm curious as to what others think on this. Somewhere in the past someone here implied that due to the chemo we received we may not be as susceptable to getting sick the first year. Wonder if that's true??

Besides lucky, I avoid being around sick people. It helps that I live with the "virus-nazi" (nurse) who follows me around with a bottle of germ-x and interrogates anyone we go out with as to what germs they've been exposed to and if they wash their hands after going to the bathroom. I had the flu shot but will have to look into the pneumonia shot (good point Marine).

Greg

None here, but get a "shingles shot"
    About 20 months post here with no colds or flu and thats through two Chicago winters living with a pre-school teacher. I personally live a somewhat hermit existence though, as I'm not currently in the workforce. I do get exposure on grocery shopping day and the endless doctor's appointments. On the flip side both my wife and daughter have caught colds this year.

Anyone over fifty who has had Chicken pox should get a 'shingles' shot as these are prone to happen in our weakened immune system.
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    So far so good
    Hey Grace,
    No "normal" sickness yet. Like Greg I live with a germ-nazi who constantly reminds me to wash my hands and prohibits me from being around certain people and situations. She has had cold-like symptoms though and I haven't had any. Like Scam I take a lot of supplements and eat an all organic mainly vegan diet that should help. Lots of fresh air and exercise top off my regimen for staying healthy. Didn't keep me from getting the radiation voice though. Mine sounds like Barry White. I kinda like it.

Bob
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member

So far so good
    Hey Grace,
    No "normal" sickness yet. Like Greg I live with a germ-nazi who constantly reminds me to wash my hands and prohibits me from being around certain people and situations. She has had cold-like symptoms though and I haven't had any. Like Scam I take a lot of supplements and eat an all organic mainly vegan diet that should help. Lots of fresh air and exercise top off my regimen for staying healthy. Didn't keep me from getting the radiation voice though. Mine sounds like Barry White. I kinda like it.

Bob

Hi Grace

Something you can do to help is to use a Nasal Rinse like NeilMed once a day, it is over the counter, ask your Doctor about using it. Most germs or clods start in the Nasal area; by keeping it cleaned your chance of getting another cold is a lot better.

Hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

All the best
    Hondo
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    No Colds
    Actually it's kind of funny... I believe it was Dawn and I that were talking and both have been post treatment nearly two years, neither of us have caught a cold or sniffles during this time....

I just figured I had so much poison pumped in me it killed all existing and potential germs for awhile...

Best,
    John
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Skiffin16 said:

No Colds
    Actually it's kind of funny... I believe it was Dawn and I that were talking and both have been post treatment nearly two years, neither of us have caught a cold or sniffles during this time....

I just figured I had so much poison pumped in me it killed all existing and potential germs for awhile...

Best,
    John

It was me.
    My luck finally ran out the end of February. After not being sick for almost 2.5 years, I think it was, I caught a cold. I forgot how miserable colds were.
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Immune system
    GraceLibby,

Look at it this way. You are simply rebuilding what will become a powerful immune system again some day. I'm ten months out, have no small kids around, and have suffered two severe colds since end of treatment. The first one started to become a sinus infection so I asked my doc for some easy-to-swallow antibiotics to fight it off. He put me on the same pink liquid amoxicillin that my kids took when they were small. Worked like a charm.

You sound normal to me. Except for the "smoker" sound. I have that one myself.

Deb
  • ToBeGolden
    ToBeGolden Member Posts: 695
    Lost Voice
    Had radiation in August. Radiation was highly focused on vocal cord tumor, although the rest of the neck got some rads. A "hole" was blown in a vocal cord (not correct technical description but it this is how it looks to the patient), which was corrected with surgery. Starting coughing about two months ago. My otolaryngologist scoped me and said my false cords were swollen. Almost totally lost my voice. You need to stand very close to hear me. I'm starting a short course of antibiotics and steroids. Also will be starting voice therapy.

I would talk over any lingering symptoms with your health care team. I should have gone in earlier than I did. I'll post an update.