CT results

I would like feedback regarding results from the first CT after chemo and radiation.

Dad had a large primary tumor at the base of tongue with lymph node involvement. The oncologists seemed pleased today with the CT report that the primary tumor had decreased significantly in size and the largest lymph node had as well. Dad was bummed that the tumors were not gone completely and that there was no difinitive answer to "is the cancer gone?", but the oncologist said this was indication that the treatment was effective. Both oncologists said that this was about all we could expect to deem from the first CT and the remaining tumors may or may not have cancer cells in them (could be scar tissue etc). So this being said.....has anyone had a similar experience where the tumors are not totally gone at the first CT?

It is a relief that nothing new shows on the scan and that the existing tumors are shrinking....but still causes great anxiety. His next CT and PET are in early May.

Thanks again for your help..so sorry to ask so many questions

Andrea

Comments

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    As you say- could be scar tissue, etc., with dead C cells. The government even cites the unreliability of the CT, though I know a number of us, here, put a great reliance on them. I prefer the PS/CT combo, but even with them recognize a degree of of skepticism. Could be your Oncos are only being cautious. Also possible that it's way too early for them to say anything definitive, based solely on the CT. Would not take these results as being in any way a bad thing. My first PS/CT may have shown something under my tongue, but my ENT said it's typical for false-Positives to show there, and scheduled my next PS/CT for 9-months later. All this test your Dad just went thru may be is for baseline to compare future tests to, Andrea, and all is good.

kcass
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Kent Cass said:

As you say- could be scar tissue, etc., with dead C cells. The government even cites the unreliability of the CT, though I know a number of us, here, put a great reliance on them. I prefer the PS/CT combo, but even with them recognize a degree of of skepticism. Could be your Oncos are only being cautious. Also possible that it's way too early for them to say anything definitive, based solely on the CT. Would not take these results as being in any way a bad thing. My first PS/CT may have shown something under my tongue, but my ENT said it's typical for false-Positives to show there, and scheduled my next PS/CT for 9-months later. All this test your Dad just went thru may be is for baseline to compare future tests to, Andrea, and all is good.

kcass

Hi Andrea

That is good to hear that the tumors are smaller and like Kent said there is a good amount of unreliability in the C/T. A lot of my PET’s scans for the last 6 years have lit up a spot in my head, the doctors are always say it is a possibility of a re-accruing cancer.

Take care
    Hondo
  • tonyb
    tonyb Member Posts: 69
    Andrea,
    i also just got

Andrea,
    i also just got results on first ct scan since treatment.
    my results were similar, tumor is shrunken, lymph nodes are shrunken,
    The doctors say that they saw nothing to be alarmed about, so they are giving me a good report. i questioned them about what all that means, and their response was that
    when you irradiate an area of the body, you can shrink a tumor or lymph node,and all of it that will be left is scar tissue. basically a dried up husk of inert tissue. If the remaining lump is below a certain size it is assumed to be dead, and the doctors don't remove it. they just monitor it, very closely, for a long time. that way in the unlikely event that there are any viable cancer cells that remain, they will be caught early. Plus, the patient doesn't have to go through unnessary surgery.Tell your dad to be happy, todays news was very, very good news. I for one am happy for him.
    In my case i go back to see the big kahuna of head and neck oncologists on monday and he will take the reccommendations of the radiology oncologists, and the chemo oncologist and the ct scan and his own estimates of the size of this thing and decide wheather to take it out(surgery)or not. My vote is, if in doubt rip it out, but he may not go with me on that.

Best wishes, Tonyb
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Happened
    It happened the same to me. Went thru hell with chemo and radiation. Back 15 years ago we had to wait 9 weeks post treatment to have scans. They felt then the radiation continued to work that long. Results showed to spots left, they could not tell if it was scar tissue or cancer from the scan. The only way to know was surgery. My choice. I said we need to find out. 5 days later they opened me up and doctor assisting said the surgeon stopped and had to stop shaking as he was so excited. He could tell it was scar tissue. To be certain they did the biopsy's and they confirmed scar tissue. Did what they had to do cleaned it up and removed any chance.

Her I am, sharing to you your not alone. There are so many here today reaching out to you to help. You can not ask too many questions as all here are waiting with smile on face to help anyone who needs help.

Good plan for now to wait 6 weeks to see if there is change. Most likely it will be for the good.

John
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Andrea
    My layman's understanding is the CT is good at showing the size of the tumors, but not necessarily at determining whether they are cancerous or not. The PET/CT is better at that.

The fact that there is a significant decrease in the size of the tumors is always good news. As KCass pointed out, it may be too early for the oncologist to say anything definitive based solely on the CT. Cheers

Jimbo
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Similar CT results
    First a quick recap of my cancers...had SCC Supraglottic laryngeal and NSCLC Adenocarcinoma in left lung at the same time. I received Cisplatin and 35 rads, chemo was for both cancers but rads were for laryngeal cancer. My first CT showed the lung tumor was shrinking so this had to be from the chemo and my radiologist told me that the tumor could continue to shrink even though I was finished with treatment. Later received Stereotactic Radiosurgery for lung tumor and today they can't find the tumor anymore.

I know how disappointing it is when they don't tell you that it's gone but his tumor may continue to shrink and you may get even better news after his next scans.

Stay strong,
    Glenna
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Similar
    Similar to the other comments better to err on the side of caution when making comments or diagnosis.

With me, I had the tonsils removed, but the tumor was left to respond react to the 16 weeks of chemo and 7 weeks of rads. That was with the hopes of either reducing or dissolving away. The option was always left out there for further surgery or dissection if nothing resulted from the prior.

In my case I was lucky, the tumor dissolved after the first 9 weeks of chemo.

Hoping that your fathers is just residual and either goes away or is found to be non-cancerous if biopsy is needed eventually.

Like mentioned, the fact that they have responded and shrank appears to be a good sign.

Best,
    John
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Skiffin16 said:

Similar
    Similar to the other comments better to err on the side of caution when making comments or diagnosis.

With me, I had the tonsils removed, but the tumor was left to respond react to the 16 weeks of chemo and 7 weeks of rads. That was with the hopes of either reducing or dissolving away. The option was always left out there for further surgery or dissection if nothing resulted from the prior.

In my case I was lucky, the tumor dissolved after the first 9 weeks of chemo.

Hoping that your fathers is just residual and either goes away or is found to be non-cancerous if biopsy is needed eventually.

Like mentioned, the fact that they have responded and shrank appears to be a good sign.

Best,
    John

ONC is happy...
    Andrea,

I say if ONC-man is happy, I'd be happy. I like tonyb's response above and I would take this as good news that it has shrunk.

Positive thoughts coming you and your Dad's way!!

Greg
  • Pumakitty
    Pumakitty Member Posts: 652
    Similar
    Andrea,

My dad had his first scan only about 2.5 monthes after treatment. He tumor on his tongue was not gone completly, he decided to wait until this past week to have another scan. It came back clean. His oncologist was pretty sure it was scar tissue and he was right. It was very hard waiting for that next scan, but in my opinion it will be more accurate.

Kathy