My dad has a Heimlich valve for collapsing lung--has anyone heard of this?

K_ann1015
K_ann1015 Member Posts: 500
My dad diagnosed 8/09, chemo rad & then surgery at Duke 12/09 followed with chemo. NED since...

Well, he finally got home last week after 2 weeks in Duke hospital after a 1cm nodule was removed from his lung.(It had shown up on PET scan). It was only supposed to be a 2-3 day stay, but his lung wasn't healing. They said it was due to old scar tissue from a surgery 40 years ago. I haven't heard pathology reports yet--but surgeon said it looks like EC. Anyway--Without suction, his lung would collapse. Eventually they put in a Heimlich Valve. It basically (thru a one way valve) allows the air to be released from the chest cavity through a tube in the chest.

He has to take his pain meds. If he puts it off until 6 hours, he is in pain. He is re-checked 3/30. My mom changes dressings & watches for infection, which he has none. He is able to be active, but not as much as before sitting around for 2 weeks.

Has anyone had to have one of these devices?

thanks everyone
Kim

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Hey Kim
    Glad to see you

Hey Kim
    Glad to see you posting. I have never heard of this, does it have the same name as the Heimlich manuver for choking? He sounds like my dad. Let the pain go until it is above a 10! Why are they so stubborn? That just makes it longer for the pain to go away. Sounds like it is a good device, doing the job it is supposed to do. Let us know how the pathology reports turn out. Your dad will get back to being more active, just give it some time. Also let me know where I can get the ec ribbons since April is the EC Awareness Month for the state of VA....thanks to you :)
    Tina in Va
  • emg09
    emg09 Member Posts: 228
    Sorry about your dad
    Hi,

Well, I've finally decided to come back on here and see how everyone is doing. I'm really sorry to hear that your dad's EC is back. It's almost a year for my dad, 4/23. Now my mom has been diagnosed with breast cancer. I'm not really ready for this new cancer ride again. But, that's not why I'm on here. I was hoping to "run into" you and Tina, which I see she responded underneather here. I'll keep your dad in my prayers and I'll check back from time to time. It's hard to come back on here!! Are you on FB?
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • emg09 said:

Sorry about your dad
    Hi,

Well, I've finally decided to come back on here and see how everyone is doing. I'm really sorry to hear that your dad's EC is back. It's almost a year for my dad, 4/23. Now my mom has been diagnosed with breast cancer. I'm not really ready for this new cancer ride again. But, that's not why I'm on here. I was hoping to "run into" you and Tina, which I see she responded underneather here. I'll keep your dad in my prayers and I'll check back from time to time. It's hard to come back on here!! Are you on FB?

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • K_ann1015
    K_ann1015 Member Posts: 500
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

clarification
    William --you are funny--i was trying to be concise to not bore folks here---but confused some instead!!!

My dad had an old lung surgery a very long time ago--40 years maybe---he literally had 1/3 of a lung removed but with no lasting consequences.

But the surgeon said that the scar tissue was affecting the healing after the biopsy and removal of a nodule that turned out to be a recurrence of EC(pathology confirmed this).

So...that is why he ended up having the valve---to be able to go home to try to heal. He goes back to Duke the 30th---i had looked up the info you found, but thanks for doing so---bc I did not think to save it!---in case I need to send to my mom....

just praying the lung can stay inflated and heal.

If he take s the pain meds, he has trouble with constipation and NO-body wants that!
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    emg09 said:

Sorry about your dad
    Hi,

Welcome Back
    Hello Erica emg09!!!
    So happy to see you posting again! My dear friend, so sorry to hear of your mom now having to battle breast cancer. What stage is she? You know how this all goes, you are strong, you will survive! Breast cancer is one of the most curable ones. I am on facebook. Send me a friend request. Hope to see you posting here and there. I will be praying for you both.
    Tina in Va