Erbitux listed on NCNN Guidelines for treatment of EC

Options
unclaw2002
unclaw2002 Member Posts: 599
THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND INFORMATION I HAVE ACCUMULATED IN HELPING MY 79 YEAR OLD FATHER FIGHT STAGE IV b EC. Please consult you physician for any information related to your specific care. Each individual is different.

****************************************************************************************
All,

Wanted to provide a new update on the use of Erbitux in the treatment of EC at the gastric junction. The NCCN Guideline V1.2011 (page 11 of 14) added Erbitux under the guidelines as a second line treatment for metastatic Esophageal Cancer. (available at this site --- go to Esophageal Cancer Guidelines http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp )

Although not an FDA approval this is a first step and some insurance companies will now pay for and allow the off-label prescription of Erbitux for Esophageal Cancer. (Erbitux is already FDA approved for other cancers including colon, and neck).

When evaluating whether or not you want to use Erbitux in treating your cancer it would be helpful to have the tumor tested for the mutated KRAS gene. It has been found that if the tumor has the mutated KRAS gene then the Erbitux is not as effective in fighting the cancer. This might factor in your choice of treatment and drug regime.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Best,
Cindy

Comments

• Callaloo
    Callaloo Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Great news
    This is great news. Thanks for posting this. My request for KRAS testing for Erbitux was turned down by my insurance because it wasn't "indicated in the NCCN guidelines." This changes things dramatically. Erbitux is not the magic bullet we're all looking for, but it is an important new weapon in the arsenal.

I just returned from Denver after consulting with a GI oncologist at the university hospital. I'll try to post an update on my stage IVB journey this weekend.

Lu
  • dwhite0002
    dwhite0002 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Erbitux
    My doctor used Erbitux in my chemo. We are convinced it made the difference.
  • Ginny_B
    Ginny_B Member Posts: 532
    Options
    Mom has changed her mind 3
    Mom has changed her mind 3 times now. First she wanted to fight on with additional Chemo (Erbitux) and radiation, then this morning she said she did not. Now she has decide to continue the fight with Erbitux and internal radiation.

I will call her Oncologist to advise that she wants the infusions and ask if it's covered by Medicare. That should alert him to any necessary tests that we need.
  • dwhite0002
    dwhite0002 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    I believe Erbitux is what
    I believe Erbitux is what saved me in 2006. It worked particularly well for me

David,
    5 yr. survivor
    age 37
  • Kenem
    Kenem Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Erbitux (plus Irinotecan)
    I had 12 infusions of Erbitux plus Irinotecan and 11 infusions of Erbitux only. Weekly infusions.

Liver cancer lesions grew by about fifty percent (50%) in each direction. On to a different chemotherapy cocktail.

Ken