Radiation Help Please

Options
2»

Comments

• skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 33 rads treatments - every day for 6 1/2 weeks but am down to the last 4 as of today. It's a lot easier than chemo but does get to be a drag. I've tried at least once a week to go out for breakfast after my treatment as a treat. And don't forget to celebrate the milestones! The Dr. should give you creams to use but they also caution not to have any on when you actually get your treatment. You can put it on in the dressing room after. I also bought mem's t-shirts and am now living in them. They are soft and comfy and also protect your clothes. Each center is different but I've had some male techs as well as female. I'm at the point, after having pictures taken (full frontal) by the staff at my plastic surgeon that modesty has flown the coup. The guys aren't really paying attention anyway, they're just looking for the little dots.

I've had some burning and blisters but the creams help. It's probably no worse than a really bad sunburn. Someone said we should realize that we'll never wear skimpy bathing suits again. lol! Like I did before? I'm 56. Get real!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    kya911 said:

Thank You
    All so very much.
    Do we have to change into those gowns?
    How much of us is exposed laying on the table, just treatment boob?
    I am shy, do just lady nurses set you up & Rad Dr stays in his room running machine?
    Her2+ Carsoma tumor Lump 10/1 & 10/29 both 2010
    They said 6-8 weeks very day for rads.
    Thank you for taking time to reply to this old maid
    Judy

It will take longer to
    It will take longer to change into a gown than the treatment. And yes, you will put a gown on, but, you leave your slacks or jeans or whatever else on, just remove your top clothing.

My techs were very kind and very considerate. I would keep my gown closed until it was time for me to lay down on the table for my rad treatment. Then, they would just take it off of my right side to expose only the area being treated. I am not modest, so, it didn't matter to me if they took the whole gown off.

Almost everyday, my rads oncologist came in the room, if nothing more than to just tell me how great I was doing.

I went everyday for several weeks, with weekends off. I slept a lot on the weekends, as, rads, and, the going everyday wears you down.

Good luck to you. Ask any questions.

Hugs, Megan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    ladyg said:

Judy
    I can not say anthing about rads being easier than chemo since I did not do chemo. But like you I was scared when I went the first time. At the treatment center I went to they made a mold that went under my head and made it easier for me to keep my arm up out of the way. I was having real shoulder issues and could not keep my arm over my head without pain but the mold was a blessing. Yes you do have to put on a gown but you only have to undress from the waist up. Like you I was very modest when this whole cancer thing started but now...I really don't care anymore. I had both male and female techs who were all wonderful.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Good luck Judy with rads!
    Good luck Judy with rads!

Hugs, Diane
  • kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    skipper54 said:

I've been doing 33 rads treatments - every day for 6 1/2 weeks but am down to the last 4 as of today. It's a lot easier than chemo but does get to be a drag. I've tried at least once a week to go out for breakfast after my treatment as a treat. And don't forget to celebrate the milestones! The Dr. should give you creams to use but they also caution not to have any on when you actually get your treatment. You can put it on in the dressing room after. I also bought mem's t-shirts and am now living in them. They are soft and comfy and also protect your clothes. Each center is different but I've had some male techs as well as female. I'm at the point, after having pictures taken (full frontal) by the staff at my plastic surgeon that modesty has flown the coup. The guys aren't really paying attention anyway, they're just looking for the little dots.

I've had some burning and blisters but the creams help. It's probably no worse than a really bad sunburn. Someone said we should realize that we'll never wear skimpy bathing suits again. lol! Like I did before? I'm 56. Get real!

I can't thank you all enough
    I feel so much better about it now.I did have a consult with my Rad Dr & he said the same as you all. Rads are a picnic compared to chemo.I will have my dry run & markings on the 30 th. Now that I know what to expect, I just want to get the show on the road & get this over with.
    Has anyone found any bras that help with rad treatment?
    Thanks Again
    Judy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    kya911 said:

I can't thank you all enough
    I feel so much better about it now.I did have a consult with my Rad Dr & he said the same as you all. Rads are a picnic compared to chemo.I will have my dry run & markings on the 30 th. Now that I know what to expect, I just want to get the show on the road & get this over with.
    Has anyone found any bras that help with rad treatment?
    Thanks Again
    Judy

Bras
    My radiation oncologist said it was fine to wear a bra during rads, but was very firm about no underwire and no lace -- he said both would be too irritating. He recommended a soft-cup or sports bra.

I only made it about 2 weeks into rads before wearing a bra at all just got too irritating to my skin. I'm a pretty well-endowed woman, but thankfully did rads in the winter, so it was all about layering: I had a nice black cardigan sweater that I threw on over whatever I was wearing to work, and hoodie sweatshirts and fleece vests that I wore over the men's undershirts on the weekend.

I know some women here were able to keep wearing a soft bra throughout rads -- my skin is pretty sensitive, so that may be part of why I wasn't able to.

Traci
  • citygirl15
    citygirl15 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Radiation
    Judy,

Radiation was a breeze, especially after enduring 16 rounds of chemotherapy. I scheduled my treatments everyday after work and never missed an appointment....it was easy. I had no fatigue, minor skin discoloration and a little itching towards the end of the 28 treatments. I was prescribed Biafine cream for irritation.... http://www.biafine.com/

My first visit was for "simulation" where i was positioned and fitted for an upper body mold...also tattooed...totally painless. The treatments began 2 weeks following simulation....it took less than 5 minutes, with 3 doses, each about 15 seconds. The worst part of the entire process was waiting in the reception area.

Check out the following website for more info....http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/

Good luck and don't give it a second thought. It's all part of healing and recovery!

Lisa
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    joannstar said:

@ Denise
    We need to start our own Tatoo club...
    I now ask people when I see their ink, how they were able to handle the pain, I mean, 4 dots were enough for me!

JoAnn

too funny
    that is it for me...as far as being INKED!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Radiation
    Judy,

Radiation was a breeze, especially after enduring 16 rounds of chemotherapy. I scheduled my treatments everyday after work and never missed an appointment....it was easy. I had no fatigue, minor skin discoloration and a little itching towards the end of the 28 treatments. I was prescribed Biafine cream for irritation.... http://www.biafine.com/

My first visit was for "simulation" where i was positioned and fitted for an upper body mold...also tattooed...totally painless. The treatments began 2 weeks following simulation....it took less than 5 minutes, with 3 doses, each about 15 seconds. The worst part of the entire process was waiting in the reception area.

Check out the following website for more info....http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/

Good luck and don't give it a second thought. It's all part of healing and recovery!

Lisa

bumping up
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

my first day aka dry run
    I was taken in actual room ...i had a form fitted to my body (like bean bag type-i laid in propery position and then they took air out so shaped perfectly to me)I was then given my DOT tattoos (very quick, painless a little poke)

My cancer center: (not sure if all do) I had a picture taken , then given a swipe card with picture on it...each day (8 wks) I entered I swiped my card-which alerted them I was there...then headed to changing room...and waited until they came to get me.

I was lucky enough to not have any burning, reaction or side effects. My skin barley tanned (in large box shape)

The staff was wonderful..greated me daily by name-very caring!

Denise...

The pink sisters have given
    The pink sisters have given you great advice and tips Judy. Always feel free to ask any questions that you have. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Angie
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

My #1 Radiation Recommendation
    Judy, different radiation centers/doctors have different protocols for the lotions/creams they'll want you to use, but some of them are really goopy and can be very difficult to wash out of clothes (Aquaphor, in particular). Your skin may also be marked up with markers during the setup and sometimes throughout treatment -- ink + goop = mess on your clothes.

So, my #1 Radiation Recommendation (stolen from Jeanne on this board) is to Get Thee To a Walmart or Target before your setup appointment and buy a 6-pack of men's WHITE undershirts. I liked having the coverage of the crew-neck, short-sleeve ones, but some women prefer the sleeveless. I paid $12 for a 6-pack.

I LIVED in these all through rads. Since they were white, I could wash them in HOT water, which was the only way to get the Aquaphor out. And when I was done, they were cheap enough to just throw away. Seriously...best $12 I ever spent.

Traci

I agree with Traci . . .
    I used Aquaphor and wore some old shirts of my husband's when I had it on . . . then, after treatments, threw those shirts away!

My skin burned some (enough to make my oncologist change the treatments a little bit at the end), but healed very quickly once I was done with the treatments. I did use some prescription pain meds toward the end of the treatments - which helped me get through the day, since I kept working during all of that (although I possibly may have been falling asleep at my desk a couple of times from the pain meds!).

I hope that things will go well for you. I had my treatments about 1 year ago (started beginning of April 2010 - did 27 treatments).

Please let us know how you are doing.

♥ Lynn
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

my first day aka dry run
    I was taken in actual room ...i had a form fitted to my body (like bean bag type-i laid in propery position and then they took air out so shaped perfectly to me)I was then given my DOT tattoos (very quick, painless a little poke)

My cancer center: (not sure if all do) I had a picture taken , then given a swipe card with picture on it...each day (8 wks) I entered I swiped my card-which alerted them I was there...then headed to changing room...and waited until they came to get me.

I was lucky enough to not have any burning, reaction or side effects. My skin barley tanned (in large box shape)

The staff was wonderful..greated me daily by name-very caring!

Denise...

bumping up

bumping up
  • sunshine0406
    sunshine0406 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    joannstar said:

@ Denise
    We need to start our own Tatoo club...
    I now ask people when I see their ink, how they were able to handle the pain, I mean, 4 dots were enough for me!

JoAnn

my first tattoo
    Yes we need our own club. My mom hates tattoos and I told her I got three she started to get upset (FYI I am almost 36 years old) and I showed them too her and she just laughed. I told her I might get another one when I have reconstruction, a nipple tattoo. She just said I would be ok with that. I'm not looking forward to that but my husband and mom (surprising for how much she hates them) are very much pushing me to do it.
  • kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    VickiSam said:

bumping up

1/3
    I am 1/3 done lol.
    So far I am doing fine no burns yet.
    For a 64 year old lol I am proud of myself. It was so scary at first, but now it is like clock work.
    Thank you all ever so much.
    Judy