Options
2»

Comments

• usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Life without a colon
    Hi Katie -

I don't want to speak for our friend Rodney - he passed away last summer - but Rod had his colon removed in 2005 with no colostomy and always told me it wasn't bad.

That said, I hope your Mom gets another opinion and an answer as to why a colostomy isn't an option.

Hope you and Sponge are doing well,

Hi Betsy
    I didn't know Rodney had his entire colon removed. Rodney was good at making the best of things in spite of cancer....

....missing all our friends who are gone...
  • usakat
    Options
    KathiM said:

Hey, Katie!
    All I can say is 'oh, cr*p!' Give mom my biggest hugs, please!!!

I can't speak to your question, since my remission is holding so far at 6 years...with just a simple J-pouch...

BUT I have a friend who had his entire colon removed for another reason, and he has an illeostomy...he is quite the adventurer, traveling across Korea by local transportation was his latest...and the stomy doesn't slow him. He does say that there is more acid stuff that comes out, so he needs to watch the opening...but yeah, there is DEFINATELY life without a colon for him!!!!

BIG dutch hugs, Kathi

(((KATHI)))
    Hi Kathi - I'll give mom your regards.

Glad to hear you are doing well and enjoying life as a semi-annual ex-pat. Lucky you!

You and Hans will have to stop over in our 50th state for a visit once Bob and I get settled in.

xoxo
  • usakat
    Options

welcome back
    hi katie,

its great meeting stage III survivors like you, I hope to one as well.
    your poor mum,

the ileostomy is a small sacrifice to live, I would prefer it to constant and persistent incontinence. been swimming and walking and can even do scuba diving with it, only I cannot dive until chemo is finished.

so the biggest issue with ileostomy is diarrhea ( chemo related ), you goto empty the bag freqently is also the biggest hassle. other than that its a pience of cake. you will get the occasional spill. but you know the t shirt "**** HAPPENS".

you between you and your mum you've done the rounds of surgeons and oncs, so I guess you could get a second opinion to see if you have all the options explained.

hope your mum is ok and yo stay cancer free.

Pete

Hello Pete :)
    Thanks, Pete!

You sound like quite the adventurer too. I'll share your thoughts with mum. She'll appreciate your positive attitude.

I've been lurking for the past year and have followed your story - you're an inspirational guy. I've appreciated your contribution to our community here and hoping you'll get the all clear news soon.
  • usakat
    Options
    Thank you all!
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. I will certainly share this with mom.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Hey, Kat.

It's great to see a picture of you and Bob pop up! I've missed you! Sorry about your mom, and I don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to say hello. I'll say a prayer for your mom.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • TKDjazzman
    TKDjazzman Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Greetings All

I am a 53 old male who has diagnosed and treated for adnocarsinoma just above my sphinchter. The tumor was romoeved and found to be T1 however there was also clear evidence of lympho vascular invasion. The hospital i am dealing with says they cannot know if the nodes have been infiltrated without having the anal resctioning and getting the colostomy bag. I am grateful to hve found thisa forum and would greatly appreciate any and all experience anyone could share. I am a jazz drummer , trumpet player and martial artist and really afraid the changes will not allow me to do these things. While i realize my sparring days are well over does anyone know of ostomy patients that plays drums, a wind instrument or does karate or some other martial arts. Im seeking hope fomr folks with experience. Lastly....As a result of this surgery i have been given an 15-20% chance of recurrence... To me that sounds like a 80-85% chance of it not reccurring....Is that wishful thinking?....Thanks

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Greetings All

I am a 53 old male who has diagnosed and treated for adnocarsinoma just above my sphinchter. The tumor was romoeved and found to be T1 however there was also clear evidence of lympho vascular invasion. The hospital i am dealing with says they cannot know if the nodes have been infiltrated without having the anal resctioning and getting the colostomy bag. I am grateful to hve found thisa forum and would greatly appreciate any and all experience anyone could share. I am a jazz drummer , trumpet player and martial artist and really afraid the changes will not allow me to do these things. While i realize my sparring days are well over does anyone know of ostomy patients that plays drums, a wind instrument or does karate or some other martial arts. Im seeking hope fomr folks with experience. Lastly....As a result of this surgery i have been given an 15-20% chance of recurrence... To me that sounds like a 80-85% chance of it not reccurring....Is that wishful thinking?....Thanks

Welcome Jazzman

i am sorry that you have joined us with the Cancer diagnosis, but glad to know you have come looking for info. You know what they say 'Knowledge is power'

you have posted on a very old thread, and I would suggest you copy and paste your post into a brand new thread. 

Let us know if you need help doing this. Basically, you just have to go to the top of the page, find Colorectal Cancer highlighted in blue. hit that and then hit Post New Forum Topic.   

Sue - Trubrit

• EvelynB
    EvelynB Member Posts: 72
    Options

Greetings All

Jazzman

I am so sorry for your diagnosis. I know it's tough to deal with. I, too, have to get a colostomy. After crying a million tears, I picked myself up and resolved that I can do this. I met with an ostomy nurse today and she assured me that you can do nearly anything with a colostomy. Playing music most certainly won't be a problem. As for martial arts.....I don't know that much about it so hopefully there's someone on here that has experience and knowledge in that area that can answer that.  I know she warned me to be careful around dogs and children(maybe to avoid an embarassing accident?) but she also said I could skydive if I wanted! I think an 80-85% chance of no recurrence is pretty darn good! Not wishful thinking-positive thinking and that's what we need. Best wishes.