Just wanting to say hi and hoping for a little advice

Options
fredswilma
fredswilma Member Posts: 185
Hi all my name is Ann, I have been coming on this site for the last couple of months, it has been so helpful to me, I found it whilst looking for something that would help my husband the bark cure, orange juice cure and ginger cure just felt like someone was trying to make a quick buck out of others heartache(the internet can be a curse).
My husband was diagnosed with Oesophageal Cancer in August 2010, as alot of you know we had no idea, he has always suffered from acid reflux and was going in to have his stomach looked at an endoscopy, I think thats right, anyways with a camera, they told us there and then that they saw a 10cm tumor that looked cancerous took a biopsy and Mark had a scan within a week our world had completely changed, they had found cancer spots on his liver, lungs and lymph nodes, because the cancer had spread Surgery was ruled out immediately, he has been through his Chemo which luckily he handled really well, this is what I need help with after the scan when his chemo had finished the oncologist said that the tumor hadn't changed which apparently is good and that nothing more could be done until Mark started to feel unwell again then we could try radiation therapy. does anybody know of anything that we could or should be doing I kinda feel like we are waiting to be run over by a bus and the agressive nature of this cancer makes me feel like we are wasting precious time, also does anyone know if this cancer runs in families?. Sorry this has become more of an essay than a quick hello, anyway I would appreciate any ideas and just such a big thank you all for sharing on this site.
Ann

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • fredswilma
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Hi Sherri
    Thanks for that yes he has put on 10kg since finishing Chemo, at this stage I don't care if he gets podgy, I know he will need it soon enough. This therespheres that I have read about it is to treat Cancer of the liver, so if you no of any sites that can tell me more about it that would be great also I am in NZ don't know if it is used here yet, but as any kiwi knows have wings will travel.
    Ann
  • Hi Sherri
    Thanks for that yes he has put on 10kg since finishing Chemo, at this stage I don't care if he gets podgy, I know he will need it soon enough. This therespheres that I have read about it is to treat Cancer of the liver, so if you no of any sites that can tell me more about it that would be great also I am in NZ don't know if it is used here yet, but as any kiwi knows have wings will travel.
    Ann

• fredswilma
    Options
    unknown said:

Hi William
    Thank you so much your information has given me a place to start and starting to feel sorry for our oncologist will have lots more appropriate questions to ask. Mark's weight gain has been great still not back to before cancer but luckily for us he is having no problems eating at this time. Do you know if this cancer runs in families the reason I ask is Marks father lost his battle to the same disease 9 years ago and as any Mum will tell you now I worry for our 3 boys, silly I know but real.
    Thank you again will start looking into those sites you have posted and then whether this is available here.
    Ann
  • unclaw2002
    unclaw2002 Member Posts: 599
    Options

Hi William
    Thank you so much your information has given me a place to start and starting to feel sorry for our oncologist will have lots more appropriate questions to ask. Mark's weight gain has been great still not back to before cancer but luckily for us he is having no problems eating at this time. Do you know if this cancer runs in families the reason I ask is Marks father lost his battle to the same disease 9 years ago and as any Mum will tell you now I worry for our 3 boys, silly I know but real.
    Thank you again will start looking into those sites you have posted and then whether this is available here.
    Ann

Yes get tested - I am going to have a scope myself
    THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND NOT MEDICAL ADVICE

Ann,

I just returned from the University of Pittsburg with my father, Stage IVb and asked the oncologist that question. Does it run in families, is it a predisposition, is it cultural how you eat, is it environmental.

He answered by saying we don't really know, there hasn't been enough research done. However, he would recommend anyone who has a direct relative who has been diagnosed with EC - mother, father, brother, sister . . . to have a baseline scope done around the age of 35. And anyone who has persistent heartburn or problems swallowing should have a scope done. Then evaluate what is seen and come up with a plan for scopes in the future. If this cancer is caught early it can be cured --- as we all know too few catch it early.

So I would urge your sons to have scopes when they reach that age. I remember years ago no one had colon scopes, then Katie Couric's husband died from Colon Cancer and she started a campaign --- this brought attention, funding and a new standard of care for colon cancer --- and guess what? Deaths from colon cancer are dropping because it is being diagnosed at earlier stages when it can be treated and cured because of public awareness of getting a scope.

Best,
    Cindy