Seven Months

Options
Hi all:

Basketcase here. Just felt the need to post this. It has been seven months today since Charlie passed away and I had to make the tough decision to put down one of my beloved Shelties, Blue. I think I may have mentioned earlier he was not walking well. Well, he got to where he couldn't get up and I had to carry him everywhere and he'd yip for me; so as much as I hated to do it I called the vet back and told what had happened since he saw him two weeks ago. He said didn't sound good. (He's so good we've been with for 26 years now!) So I took him on over and he met out back and looked at him; told me I was doing the right thing. I am having him cremated and it's at the same funeral home that handled Charlie's! I tell y'all right now I feel like my life is being spent mostly grieving. I'll be giving Rowdy (the other Sheltie and he's almost 13 too but gets around pretty good) and Sammy (he's only 4 years old) extra TLC especially Rowdy as he and Blue were cousins! I know this is so trivial compared to what everybody is going through on these boards, but just felt I needed to share as this just one more loss to deal with in 7 months time, Charlie's, my brother's, and now Blue's. I had to handle this one alone as Charlie handled our first Sheltie's (Smokey) and went and picked him up after he was euthanized and then 5 months later our other Sheltie at the time died at the vet's and Charlie was working that night so we went together the next day and picked him up and buried him! Anyway it may be silly to post this but I hope y'all understand. Thanks as always!

Jan

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Member Posts: 69
    Options
    I am sorry, for your loss,
    I am sorry, for your loss, God bless you,i'll keep you in my prayers.
    Tony b.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    It's not trivial. I am so sorry.
    I understand. I think putting my dog, Kiaya down, was the most painful thing I ever did. Ever. She was 15 and she had kidney failure. My vet came to the house and I held her in my arms. It hurt so bad I couldn't breathe. My heart literally hurt, and I couldn't breathe. I know I did the right thing because she was so ill. Could neither eat nor drink because she couldn't keep food down. We had tried to even give her daily bags of IV fluids at home.

Sending you big hugs. Curl up with Sammy and Rowdy. They miss him too I bet.
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options

It's not trivial. I am so sorry.
    I understand. I think putting my dog, Kiaya down, was the most painful thing I ever did. Ever. She was 15 and she had kidney failure. My vet came to the house and I held her in my arms. It hurt so bad I couldn't breathe. My heart literally hurt, and I couldn't breathe. I know I did the right thing because she was so ill. Could neither eat nor drink because she couldn't keep food down. We had tried to even give her daily bags of IV fluids at home.

Sending you big hugs. Curl up with Sammy and Rowdy. They miss him too I bet.

Yes
    Jan, it's not trivial. Many of us have had canine family members, and have memories that are similar. We had two Border Collies when I was growing-up, with both named Boots. Both were so very special, but the last probably more than the first. She lived 11 years with us, and was so much part of our lives. Seeing her suffer when her kidney failed was tough, and putting her down was the only way to get rid of her suffering. Know your Sheltie lived a good life, thanks to you and Charlie.

kcass
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Sorry Jan
    Nothing is trivial anymore. Sorry for your sadness and pain. Our animal friends give us so much unconditional love. Thank you for sharing. I appreciate my little buddies a bit more now.

Bob
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Sorry
    Jan, I'm so sorry to hear about Blue. This is not trivial, I have 2 labs and I know how I would feel if I lost one of them. They are like our children.

Stay strong,
    Glenna
  • Pumakitty
    Pumakitty Member Posts: 652
    Options
    So Sorry
    This is not silly at all. I can not imagine losing one of my precious kitty. They are like my children. I am so sorry that you have had to face so much loss in such a short time, my heart breaks for you. Please continue to talk with us. Please know that now Charlie has even more company up there.

Sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

Kathy
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Pumakitty said:

So Sorry
    This is not silly at all. I can not imagine losing one of my precious kitty. They are like my children. I am so sorry that you have had to face so much loss in such a short time, my heart breaks for you. Please continue to talk with us. Please know that now Charlie has even more company up there.

Sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

Kathy

Blue!
    Jan I am so sorry to read your post. You have been through so much & have been so supportive to all of us here on CSN! The loss of a beloved pet is huge & I totally understand how you feeling as I have experienced it also.We are so fortunate to have the option of not having to watch our pet's suffer. At least we can do this for them.I will keep you both in my thought's & prayer's.
    God Bless
    Roz
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    NOT SILLY AT ALL
    Jan, posting about the death of a loved pet can be as tragic as any human. You have been through more than most of us combined.

Your strength to continue to stay in touch and continue to help others is inspiring.

God Bless You

Mike
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Family
    They are definitely part of the family....

I know I'm like others here concerning my choclate labs, they are family. I see on my company web site where someone is looking for a home for their 7 year old lab mix. Stating she is very loving, like walks, effectionate, etc....how can you give up a part of your family that is all of that and been with you all of that time. It really disgusts me, I have a really hard time not asking them about it.

Believe me, I know how how hard it is to lose a pet. Our black lab Ebony, she was part of our family for 13 years. She's gone, but definitely not forgotten, we think of her nearly everyday, and she's been gone for six years.

I love this poem, some have seen it before I'm sure, but I'll share it...

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge. When an animal
    dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the
    Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends
    so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and
    sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor;
    those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we
    remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each
    miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops
    and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body
    begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green
    grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your
    special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to
    be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again
    caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes,
    so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

Jan, my very best to you and the strength that you continue to have and the life you share...

John
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Family
    They are definitely part of the family....

I know I'm like others here concerning my choclate labs, they are family. I see on my company web site where someone is looking for a home for their 7 year old lab mix. Stating she is very loving, like walks, effectionate, etc....how can you give up a part of your family that is all of that and been with you all of that time. It really disgusts me, I have a really hard time not asking them about it.

Believe me, I know how how hard it is to lose a pet. Our black lab Ebony, she was part of our family for 13 years. She's gone, but definitely not forgotten, we think of her nearly everyday, and she's been gone for six years.

I love this poem, some have seen it before I'm sure, but I'll share it...

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge. When an animal
    dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the
    Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends
    so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and
    sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor;
    those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we
    remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each
    miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops
    and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body
    begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green
    grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your
    special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to
    be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again
    caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes,
    so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

Jan, my very best to you and the strength that you continue to have and the life you share...

John

So Sorry
    Jan,

Very sorry to hear about Blue! From your previous posts I know how much your pups mean to you.

John,

Love that poem! Brought a tear to my eye thinking about reuniting with all my old canine buddies sometime in the (distant) future. Thanks for sharing.

Positive thoughts to all!!

Greg
  • JUDYV5
    JUDYV5 Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Our Animals
    Our Animals are our companions and friends. To greive their passing is nomral and acceptable. Sorry that you had to endure yet another loss.
  • hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    JUDYV5 said:

Our Animals
    Our Animals are our companions and friends. To greive their passing is nomral and acceptable. Sorry that you had to endure yet another loss.

Jan
    I remember every dog I've ever had and my current dog, Bella is like my baby girl. I love her !!
    Sorry for your loss. Always remember the good feelings, days, times your Blue gave you...
    all the best
    Steve
  • KristynRuth86
    KristynRuth86 Member Posts: 140
    Options
    hawk711 said:

Jan
    I remember every dog I've ever had and my current dog, Bella is like my baby girl. I love her !!
    Sorry for your loss. Always remember the good feelings, days, times your Blue gave you...
    all the best
    Steve

:(
    Hi Jan, it just seems like when something like this happens so close to another tragic thing you wanna ask "Can't I just catch a break?!" I am just so sorry you're going through this tough time. Give the other pups lots of love! Take care!