Options
2»

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Cinkal said:

So sorry to hear your
    So sorry to hear your treatment is not going as planned. I haven't started chemo yet, I will at the end of the month. I know how cancer can get your spirits down. Try to surround yourself with positive people and loved ones. I keep telling myself that the treatments are vital and I will do what I have to do to get rid of this ugly disease. I wish you the best with your radiation treatments.

Sending positive thoughts your way

cindy

I am relieved that you have such excellent care.
    Your Dad must be having a difficult time, too. I'll keep both of you in my prayers.

Roseann
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    roseann4 said:

I am relieved that you have such excellent care.
    Your Dad must be having a difficult time, too. I'll keep both of you in my prayers.

Roseann

You sound like a very mature
    You sound like a very mature young woman and I send my prayers to you for a speedy recovery. I'm glad to know that you're in such good care. I pray for your Dad too in this most difficult time. As a mother, I can only imagine the heartache he must feel.

Be as strong as you can and whenever you're feeling down, come here for words of encouragement and genuine caring because the ladies and gents here are simply the Best.

Love & Hugs,
    Wanda
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Kat... I am so sorry cancer
    Kat... I am so sorry cancer has invaded your life. You have gone through so much. I send you hugs and prayers. Please stay focused, stay STRONG, surround yourself with things you love( family, friends, hobbies, ect). It's not an easy road, but we are pulling for you and cheering you on. Keep going, don't give up!

Take care, God bless.
    Ines
  • SylviaD
    SylviaD Member Posts: 17
    Options

Thank you all
    I really appreciate all of your prayers and kind words. Something I didn't mention is that my dad is a very well respected Radiation Oncologist and is currently one of the head doctors at the Proton Center in my city, so I am so incredibly blessed. I have seen the best of the best as far as doctors go including the Sarcoma experts at Dana Farbon, the cancer institute at Harvard. There have only been 2 cases like mine in all of medical literature, so my physicians have gotten multiple opinions and carefully thought out treatment plans in hopes of killing everything.

I realize that failed chemotherapy is just a minor setback in the scheme of things, and I'm very hopeful (and so are my doctors) that radiation will do the trick. My cancer is actually acting like a soft tissue sarcoma rather than a typical breast cancer.

Thank you all so much though for all of your words of wisdom and advice. Sometimes things happen that frankly just suck, but I have faith that everything will work out in the end.

Being Positive is soooo important
    I so sorry that you have been diagnoses so young. I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer last year at the age of 37. I have done 16 rounds of chemo and on 2.27.11 I was told that I was clean and in remission. 3 weeks later they found spots of cancer in my brain. I am going through radiation until 4.1.11. But I am not afraid. When I was diagnosed last year I left everything to God and told my self "I will not act, look, feel, or be sick". I greeted everyone just as if I was not sick. I do things with my kids as if I am not sick. I just would take "breaks" for my self when my kids were in school. I stayed positive all the way. The cancer in my left breast, spine, liver, and pelvis cleared up. I believe that being positive is very important, and I see that in you. Remember,you have cancer, cancer does not have you.

God Bless and I have you in my prayers.
  • Angel2
    Angel2 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Breast Cancer
    Hi HootieGirl, I have been a breast cancer survivor for over 13years. Being positive and having the support is the key. That is what it was for me. I am here for you anytime you would like to talk. Take care Angel2
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Angel2 said:

Breast Cancer
    Hi HootieGirl, I have been a breast cancer survivor for over 13years. Being positive and having the support is the key. That is what it was for me. I am here for you anytime you would like to talk. Take care Angel2

I agree, you are incredibly
    mature. I know going through this gives you a much deeper perspective and appreciation on life. Cancer at any age is sad, but it breaks my heart for the young to have to go through this.

You know you're strength lies in your faith and He is with you every second. Also, having your Dad in the field gives you the ability to learn the latest research or treatments. It must also be frustrating for him as well as your family.

I'm praying for you and thinking positively. We're all here for you!

Big hugs,

Sylvia
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

I agree, you are incredibly
    mature. I know going through this gives you a much deeper perspective and appreciation on life. Cancer at any age is sad, but it breaks my heart for the young to have to go through this.

You know you're strength lies in your faith and He is with you every second. Also, having your Dad in the field gives you the ability to learn the latest research or treatments. It must also be frustrating for him as well as your family.

I'm praying for you and thinking positively. We're all here for you!

Big hugs,

Sylvia

Dear Kat
    I'm so sorry you've been given this hurdle to overcome. Of course, you're down. Your body and your emotions have been through so much these past 6 months. You actually sound quite positive and well informed about your illness. I'm so happy to hear you're in such good hands medically. We're all here to offer as much support, prayers, and positive thoughts as you need - and then some more.

Please come here often. Even though we don't have the same type of tumor that you have, we still can "listen".

Love,
    Suzanne
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Dear Kat
    I'm so sorry you've been given this hurdle to overcome. Of course, you're down. Your body and your emotions have been through so much these past 6 months. You actually sound quite positive and well informed about your illness. I'm so happy to hear you're in such good hands medically. We're all here to offer as much support, prayers, and positive thoughts as you need - and then some more.

Please come here often. Even though we don't have the same type of tumor that you have, we still can "listen".

Love,
    Suzanne

I am so sorry, My first
    I am so sorry, My first diagnosis was at age 34. I was wondering what kind of support you have and was glad that your dad is an expert.
    I have had two different kinds of BC but not the kind you have. Keep posting and letting us know how you are. Hugs!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

I get doubting the
    I get doubting the recommended treatment, and being nervous. I think all of us go through that even if the recommended treatment is 'working'. And yes, this does wear on your spirits. After all you've been fighting this for about 8 months now, that's a long battle. And to top it off, we give up hair, body parts, energy, eating normally, and just plain old feeling good to win.

My strategy is allow myself to feel low once in a while, to remember that it is a normal reaction to everything we go through. Then, and this part is easier said than done, I try and find a reason to get up and get going. Usually, I listen to music or take a walk. Sometimes meeting a friend for a chat over coffee or lunch works. I also have a friend who takes me for massages once in a while.

I also come here every day, it is my support group. Even when I feel too low to respond, it helps me to read the posts. It helps me to know I am not alone in this battle, and that I can call for reinforcement when I need it.

I hope this helps. I'm sending some positive energy your way!

Hugs,

Linda

Hi Kat! Sending you a cyber
    Hi Kat! Sending you a cyber hug and wishing you good luck with rads.

♥ Noel
  • canadianmom
    canadianmom Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you all
    I really appreciate all of your prayers and kind words. Something I didn't mention is that my dad is a very well respected Radiation Oncologist and is currently one of the head doctors at the Proton Center in my city, so I am so incredibly blessed. I have seen the best of the best as far as doctors go including the Sarcoma experts at Dana Farbon, the cancer institute at Harvard. There have only been 2 cases like mine in all of medical literature, so my physicians have gotten multiple opinions and carefully thought out treatment plans in hopes of killing everything.

I realize that failed chemotherapy is just a minor setback in the scheme of things, and I'm very hopeful (and so are my doctors) that radiation will do the trick. My cancer is actually acting like a soft tissue sarcoma rather than a typical breast cancer.

Thank you all so much though for all of your words of wisdom and advice. Sometimes things happen that frankly just suck, but I have faith that everything will work out in the end.

Good luck

Hi I just joined the csn network today and reading up on others stories. I wish you well in your treatment and your story is actually quite inspirational to me. I do not have cancer but my teenage son does. He has been recently diagnosed with soft tissue sarcoma. In August 2010 he discovered a lump by his collarbone and he went to the Dr's that week to have it checked out. He was initially misdiagnosed as it being a benign tumor and ended up having 2 surgical biopsies before the pathologists determined that it was actually an intermediate grade spindle cell sarcoma. It took quite some time for the pathology and he wasn't officially diagnosed until Jan 2011. They had to send his slides to Harvard in fact to get a definitive expert diagnosis. We are told this is very rare as well and our oncologists have said they have not had a case like this in their careers. It is such an unbelievable shock when you first hear you have cancer at such a young age. We live in Canada and have been told by the oncologists here that although he has intermediate grade sarcoma and the biopsy surgery performed left behind positive margins there is no good treatment for him. Although on the positive side his tumor was localized, small (2 cm) and not deep seated there is a large bundle of nerves at that site and we have been told radiation treatment could have very negative side effects for him if that nerve bundle gets irradiated, he could potentially lose function of his arm/shoulder/hand etc. For that reason they have decided not to do radiation treatment and apparently there is no chemo either. We do not have access to proton treatment in Canada and the radiation oncologist here says she will not treat him with the equipment we have available due to the high risk of incurring damage. So his case was being looked at by some of the proton treatment centres in the US but Boston ended up declining to take him as a patient and now MD Anderson is currently reviewing his case. We are a little frustrated that there are no good treatment options available for him and are on the "watch and wait" approach. Take comfort in the fact that you are not alone in your journey and you have the very best of care. Stay strong and from Canada we wish you the very best. I will be following your story and believe in my heart you will have a positive outcome as difficult as the treatment might be.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sending prayers
    Kat,

So sorry to read your story! You're right, never heard of this type of tumor. Your journey has already been a long one, especially for someone so young. If you really doubt your treatment get a second opinion.

Glad you found this board, wish I had sooner, as there's a lot of support to had here. We'll all be with you in prayers as you continue your journey. We're only a couple of key strokes away. While we can't always answer the questions of offer advice we can offer support. You seem mature beyond your years. Try to keep a positive attitude and know we'll be here for you.

Hugs and prayers!
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Thank you all

WOW
    Glad your dad can stay on top of things for you! Maybe that second opinion isn't needed after all, it's built in.
  • in it to win it
    in it to win it Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you all

Phyllodes and radiation
    Hey Kat,
    Hard to read that someone so young is caught up in this. I too have a malignant phyllodes tumour and have been recommended to have have radiation therapy, had surgery end of Novembe 2011. I should be starting this month January 2012. How did radiation go for you? Hope all is going well and you and your family are seeing some light.
    Best wishes.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Hang in There, Kat
    To say that you have been through a lot is an understatement. I am so sorry to hear that your battle with cancer continues. My heart feels for you as I know how tiresome doctors, drugs, appointments, surgeries ect, ect, ect... can be. It's not an easy road you are on by any means. Please stay focused, stay positive, and ask for help when you need it. And please know that your cyber Pink Sisters pray for you and send well wishes your way. We stand by your side in spirit and are rooting you on. Keep going, Kat. Never give up, no matter what!

Big hugs to you.
    Love,
    Ines
  • knutter1
    knutter1 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Phyllodes x2
    I have had Phyllodes twice once in 2008 and another in 2011. I would be happy to talk with you and maybe help ease some of your fears. Their is also a great support group on Facebook "Phyllodes support group" that has over 200 women who are affected by Phyllodes.
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options
    knutter1 said:

Phyllodes x2
    I have had Phyllodes twice once in 2008 and another in 2011. I would be happy to talk with you and maybe help ease some of your fears. Their is also a great support group on Facebook "Phyllodes support group" that has over 200 women who are affected by Phyllodes.

Sorry to hear about your treatment setbacks. Over at the Rare Cancers website they have a Phyllodes forum.

http://www.rare-cancer.org/forum/

Hoping things get better for you soon.

(((Hugs)))