Xeloda Pill treatment vs 3 month CT scans

Jean D
Jean D Member Posts: 4
Hi Everyone,
I'm doing some research for my Dad. He does not have access to a computer and he does not live close to me so that we could do this together. He had surgery at the end of Jan. Removed a stage 2 tumor. The reconnection was successful. The pathology reports came back clear of cancer. The Doctor wants him to make a decision on what treatment to follow. Chemotherapy in a pill form (Xeloda) or come in every 3 months for a CT scan. He was given all the pro and cons of both. But what he really wants to know, is there people like him who have taken the pill form of chemotherapy? What was their experience? What can these people give for advice? My Dad is 70 years old, at a healthy weight, with only a few health concerns before diagnosis. (Takes Blood Pressure medication) Thanks for any help you might want to give.

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Xeloda
    I'm 51, am on Xeloda, I have no problems with it or side affects. Other people have problems with feet and hands. I'm also on blood pressure medicine. My neighbor next door had colon cancer as well. He's in his eighties and doing great, he did the Xeloda as well.
    Good wishes towards your father and am glad he is doing so well!!!
    Winter Marie
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    my experience
    Hi. I'm taking Xeloda now in combination with some other things but I've also been on Xeloda alone. I had a few side effects but overall found it very "manageable".

I do have some problems with my hands and feet (dry skin, some blistering on feet if I'm not careful). I used to enjoy "power walking" and hiking for exercise -- and I cannot do that at the moment. But, I can do other forms of exercise (yoga, gym, elllipsis machine). And my hands are completely functional (can type/computer, drive, write, etc). I have some very mild stomach cramps or nausea occasionally. No vomiting.

Good luck to your dad as he faces this decision, and with his future health

Tara
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    taraHK said:

my experience
    Hi. I'm taking Xeloda now in combination with some other things but I've also been on Xeloda alone. I had a few side effects but overall found it very "manageable".

I do have some problems with my hands and feet (dry skin, some blistering on feet if I'm not careful). I used to enjoy "power walking" and hiking for exercise -- and I cannot do that at the moment. But, I can do other forms of exercise (yoga, gym, elllipsis machine). And my hands are completely functional (can type/computer, drive, write, etc). I have some very mild stomach cramps or nausea occasionally. No vomiting.

Tara

I took xeloda for 6 weeks
    I took xeloda for 6 weeks and did not have any problems. I think of it as a bit of insurance to kill any cells that may be lurking somewhere.

Kathy
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    taraHK said:

my experience

Tara

I took xeloda for 6 weeks and did not have any problems. I think of it as a bit of insurance to kill any cells that may be lurking somewhere.

Kathy
  • Jean D

Xeloda
    I'm 51, am on Xeloda, I have no problems with it or side affects. Other people have problems with feet and hands. I'm also on blood pressure medicine. My neighbor next door had colon cancer as well. He's in his eighties and doing great, he did the Xeloda as well.
    Good wishes towards your father and am glad he is doing so well!!!
    Winter Marie

Thanks So Much
    Just wanted to tell you thank you for your info. I will pass this on to my Dad. I hope your treatment goes well, Best wishes to you.
    Jean D
  • Jean D
    taraHK said:

my experience

Tara

Thank you
    Thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I will pass this on to my Dad. We've learned quite a lot in a short time. Best wishes to you.
    Jean D
  • Jean D
    khl8 said:

Kathy

Thank you
    Thank you for responding. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I will pass this on to my Dad. Jean D