Help with hair care

pinkamazon
pinkamazon Member Posts: 4
edited November 2022 in Breast Cancer #1
It just comingback and it very unruly .Plus when can i put color in I came thru 3a horme positive her neg.

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Hope this helps!
    I stopped treatment in August 1987 (yes that long ago). I can't remember much, but I have a Christmas 1987 photo with very, very short hair. It will come back, I promise, but you have to be patient. And congrats on finishing chemo!

"After treatment

■Continue gentle hair care. Your new hair growth will be especially fragile and vulnerable to the damage caused by styling products and heating devices. Hold off on coloring or bleaching your new hair for at least six months. Processing could damage your new hair and irritate your sensitive scalp.
    ■Be patient. It's likely that your hair will come back slowly and that it might not look normal right away. But growth takes time, and it also takes time to repair the damage caused by your cancer treatment."

Chemotherapy and hair loss: What to expect during treatment (from Mayo Clinic)
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Hair color after chemo
    I have been finished with chemo for 7 months. I went to the oncologist this past Friday and asked him about coloring my hair. There is now almost enough to color. It came in very wavy and salt and pepper color. He said my general health is good and my blood counts are good so there is no reason I cannot color my hair. It was his opinion that there are no reliable studies that indicate that any harm is done by hair color products to cancer patients/survivors. I will probably wait until there is a bit more hair and I am off to the hairdresser.
  • pinkamazon
    pinkamazon Member Posts: 4

Hope this helps!
    I stopped treatment in August 1987 (yes that long ago). I can't remember much, but I have a Christmas 1987 photo with very, very short hair. It will come back, I promise, but you have to be patient. And congrats on finishing chemo!

"After treatment

■Continue gentle hair care. Your new hair growth will be especially fragile and vulnerable to the damage caused by styling products and heating devices. Hold off on coloring or bleaching your new hair for at least six months. Processing could damage your new hair and irritate your sensitive scalp.
    ■Be patient. It's likely that your hair will come back slowly and that it might not look normal right away. But growth takes time, and it also takes time to repair the damage caused by your cancer treatment."

Chemotherapy and hair loss: What to expect during treatment (from Mayo Clinic)

thank you
    it helps very much
  • GRProud
    GRProud Member Posts: 1 Member

Hello Everyone😊I just discovered this site and this is my first post. I was diagnosed with Grade 1 A invasive ductal carcinoma July of 2021. It was small, no lymph involvement or genetic connection but it was considered aggressive. I’ve had chemo, lumpectomy and radiation and every side effect you can get along the way. But I’m thankful to be cancer free. I’m currently dealing with my second bout of axillary web syndrome and now have mild lymphedema. The thing that bothers me the most is my hair. It was slow to come in but I was so happy when it started. Everyone talked about “ chemo curls” and I though, that ‘l be okay. But I have course, wiry, nappy hair that stands up straight all over my head, I’m not kidding. I still wear my wig because it’s awful. I haven’t read anywhere where people have experienced this type of hair. It was gray and white, which was probably my natural color so I used the same dark blond box color I used before and my chemo hair absorbed it differently and it’s dark brown, yikes. Nothing will make it lay down, I’ve tried everything. So after this long story my question is this, the hair dresser suggested a keratin treatment to straighten it out, thus getting it to lay down and to maybe be able to style it in a way I feel okay with. I’ve search the web for any mention connected to ost chemo hair and haven’t found it. Thank you so much! Oh, I’m 69 years old😊