Revision, revision, revision... How common is this???

parris
parris Member Posts: 23
Since my double mastectomy 6/09 I have had 4 revision surgeries. Making the life saving decision to have a mastectomy was hard enough, now to still be dealing with complications afterwards can be overwhelming. I am one week post-op of my 4th. I am very happy with the results, but in the back of my mind I'm still wondering is this the last.

Trying to stay optimistic.

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Sadly, it's a lot more
    Sadly, it's a lot more common than we're led to believe.

I hope this is your last one for a very long time.

Take it one day at a time.

hugs,
    dh
  • CandaceMM
    CandaceMM Member Posts: 68
    Well...
    I'm with you. My bilat mast was June 2010. Total, I have had 5 surgeries beginning May 2010. Today, lefty officially fell, again. So, number six is in the planning stages.

I'm a neurotic basket case just waiting for the next boob to drop. Seriously.

My tissue is weak and doesn't hold the implant in the pocket. The implants have fallen into the underarm area. My first rev surgery was to stitch up pocket and reinforce. It was VERY painful and only four weeks ago. My doc has not used alloderm, but I'm curious as to who has it and who does not. Maybe that's what I need!
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    CandaceMM said:

Well...
    I'm with you. My bilat mast was June 2010. Total, I have had 5 surgeries beginning May 2010. Today, lefty officially fell, again. So, number six is in the planning stages.

I'm a neurotic basket case just waiting for the next boob to drop. Seriously.

My tissue is weak and doesn't hold the implant in the pocket. The implants have fallen into the underarm area. My first rev surgery was to stitch up pocket and reinforce. It was VERY painful and only four weeks ago. My doc has not used alloderm, but I'm curious as to who has it and who does not. Maybe that's what I need!

I have the
    I have the alloderm.

Everything is still in place. I don't know if alloderm is THE answer but I believe it is AN answer.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    I guess revisions are done for multiple reasons
    Complications is one reason.

Tweaking to get that perfect looking breast is another reason.

Question: Did your insurance pay for all 4 revisions?

I did not know that there could be that many revisions.

Keep thinking how great those breasts are going to look. Continue to be optimistic.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I guess revisions are done for multiple reasons
    Complications is one reason.

Tweaking to get that perfect looking breast is another reason.

Question: Did your insurance pay for all 4 revisions?

I did not know that there could be that many revisions.

Keep thinking how great those breasts are going to look. Continue to be optimistic.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

Common Place ... Let me count mine (5 SO FAR)
    #1 -- bilateral mastectomy, with tissue expanders 1/12/10
    #2 .. emergency surgery - April 2010 due to staph infection (contacted while on Vacation with family in Grand Canyon, Arizona - memories!) - 5 day hospital stay
    #3 .. replacement of diseased tissue expander .. righty May 2010
    #4 .. exchange surgery .. July 23, 2010
    #5 ... righty fell .. re-positioning surgery 9-29-10, day before my medical insurance expired ...no joke.

so, 5 surgeries - for my breasts .. No nipples, or tattoo's yet .. I want my body to rest and heal for a while - before tackling nipples (undecided), or tattoos.

Happens more often than we, are lead to believe.

Vicki Sam
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Sadly, it's a lot more
    Sadly, it's a lot more common than we're led to believe.

I hope this is your last one for a very long time.

Take it one day at a time.

hugs,
    dh

Hoping it is the last for
    Hoping it is the last for you too.

Hugs, Lex
  • parris
    parris Member Posts: 23
    VickiSam said:

Common Place ... Let me count mine (5 SO FAR)
    #1 -- bilateral mastectomy, with tissue expanders 1/12/10
    #2 .. emergency surgery - April 2010 due to staph infection (contacted while on Vacation with family in Grand Canyon, Arizona - memories!) - 5 day hospital stay
    #3 .. replacement of diseased tissue expander .. righty May 2010
    #4 .. exchange surgery .. July 23, 2010
    #5 ... righty fell .. re-positioning surgery 9-29-10, day before my medical insurance expired ...no joke.

so, 5 surgeries - for my breasts .. No nipples, or tattoo's yet .. I want my body to rest and heal for a while - before tackling nipples (undecided), or tattoos.

Happens more often than we, are lead to believe.

Vicki Sam

Thanx for sharing your
    Thanx for sharing your experiences. As I was going thru this I often wondered if it was the norm or something my PS did wrong. Unfortunately it was a combination of both. I'm now with a new PS and hoping for the best.

I am thankful for this site.