Options
2»

Comments

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    plh4gail said:

Walking is what I just
    Walking is what I just started doing. And the park by my house is pretty hilly so that helps feel like I'm doing a little more. Some days I don't even feel like thinking about caring to excercise. It's the end of the 2 weeks when I have a little more energy. lol

g,day gail
    A few years after ca I decided it was time to get fit. I started to walk. Like most things I do in life I began to over do the walking. I mean I was walking at least fifty miles a week every week. I lost around 38kg (just over 80 lb) I have never been so sick in my life with the exception of ca. I was always tired,I could not feel my feet. I developed acute pancreatitis and lost my gallbladder. My doc at the time ripped into me when he found out how much excercise I was getting. He asked me if I was trying to kill myself losing so much weight and walking so far. HHHMMMMM every doc up to this point in my life told me I was always crook because I was too fat. It was about then that formed the theory that the medical profession was in fact a guild for the worlds greatest under-achievers. A theory I hold to this very day,why else is it called a medical PRACTICE. Rant over exercise but like everything in moderation.....Ron.
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    plh4gail said:

What is a plank? I'm so
    What is a plank? I'm so afraid of creating a hernia. I have some light weights for my arms but I'm even afraid of those causing too much strain in the abdomen. Is the plank a yoga move?

Gail

A plank is like a pushup without any movement
    Your feet,legs,back are same except your upper body rests on your forearms and you just hold position as long as possible and eventually, if able, do variations (Google plank and you should see examples on first page) Might also want to google "stomach vaccuum" exercise where you basically suck in your stomach and hold while continuing to breath...Neither exercise involves weights nor are they strenuous; tho in time they can be effective....steve
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    msccolon said:

check with your cancer center for exercise advise
    They'll be able to help you, I'm sure, and you won't be left wondering if you are doing too much!
    mary

To add a little intensity to your walks, if its safe for you to
    do so, carry something with a bit of weight, need not be a dumbbell(leave my oldbosses alone!!!) as a quart/gallon,etc jug of milk or a sack of potatoes will do, as long as it won't hurt you and it creates a challenge(for those in the know, I'm referring to Farmers walks)....As my FOLFOX was ending I started using 3 pounders with my right arm (still had picc in left arm as well as defective port in left chest)and worked it up --you have no idea how good it felt for the first time in almost a year to return home from a store able to carry some groceries as my girlfriend had had to do everything for me as thats how pathetic I'd become.
  • coloCan said:

To add a little intensity to your walks, if its safe for you to
    do so, carry something with a bit of weight, need not be a dumbbell(leave my oldbosses alone!!!) as a quart/gallon,etc jug of milk or a sack of potatoes will do, as long as it won't hurt you and it creates a challenge(for those in the know, I'm referring to Farmers walks)....As my FOLFOX was ending I started using 3 pounders with my right arm (still had picc in left arm as well as defective port in left chest)and worked it up --you have no idea how good it felt for the first time in almost a year to return home from a store able to carry some groceries as my girlfriend had had to do everything for me as thats how pathetic I'd become.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator