In the grand scheme of things this is not important

Options
kikz
kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
but I was wondering if anyone lost their eyelashes a second time after chemo was done. I had my last chemo on 9/16/2010 and my eyelashes grew in soon after. I don't wear makeup that often since I retired and stay home a lot but the other day I started to put mascara on and noticed on my right eye that there were three long eyelashes and the rest were short. A few days later all the long ones were gone but I had the new set of short ones there. Kind of like when a person loses their baby teeth and the permanent teeth are right behind. Within a few days the same thing happened to my left eyelashes.

Like I said, nothing earth shattering; just curious.

Thanks,
Karen

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    That DID happen to me!
    I was completely bald from taxol when they switched me to Doxil and my hair started growing back thinly, along with my eyelashes and brows which came back thick and long. Then, at some point in there, all of the LONG eyelashes started falling out, leaving behind a thick line of very short new eyelash stubs. And they pretty quickly grew into a new set of lashes. Funny, huh? I've been chemo-bald 3 times and only had this 'eyelash phenomenon' once.

As long as we're talking weird-hair stuff, my underarm and leg hair NEVER returned this time. Maybe it's because I am still on chemo, just not taxol.
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

That DID happen to me!
    I was completely bald from taxol when they switched me to Doxil and my hair started growing back thinly, along with my eyelashes and brows which came back thick and long. Then, at some point in there, all of the LONG eyelashes started falling out, leaving behind a thick line of very short new eyelash stubs. And they pretty quickly grew into a new set of lashes. Funny, huh? I've been chemo-bald 3 times and only had this 'eyelash phenomenon' once.

As long as we're talking weird-hair stuff, my underarm and leg hair NEVER returned this time. Maybe it's because I am still on chemo, just not taxol.

I didn't have hair on my legs
    even before all this happened. It just stopped growing a few years ago. Same thing happened to my mom. Underarm hair is back but is very sparse. Something to do with age I guess. A funny thing happened on my first trip to the ER the same day as my diagnosis. The male nurse was taking the tape off the IV line and he said, I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you and then he said, oh you don't have hair on your arms. I had never noticed it. I never was particularly hairy but I hadn't noticed it had stopped growing at some point.

Oh the joys of old age and chemo!

Karen
  • childofthestars
    childofthestars Member Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    kikz said:

I didn't have hair on my legs
    even before all this happened. It just stopped growing a few years ago. Same thing happened to my mom. Underarm hair is back but is very sparse. Something to do with age I guess. A funny thing happened on my first trip to the ER the same day as my diagnosis. The male nurse was taking the tape off the IV line and he said, I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you and then he said, oh you don't have hair on your arms. I had never noticed it. I never was particularly hairy but I hadn't noticed it had stopped growing at some point.

Oh the joys of old age and chemo!

Karen

Eyelashes and hair
    Hi Karen
    I lost most of my hair on my head during chemo and ALL the hair on my body. However my eyelashes and brows remained until about 2 weeks AFTER i'd finished my final chemo then they all fell out - i was really upset by this. But all have now come back (just over 3 months later) and the hair on my body has come back with a vengence!!!! The hair on my face has come back especially 'full', as I definately didn't have a 'hairy' face before, which is a real P A I N...... it's bleach and tweezer time for me.
    Michelle x
  • pattysoo
    pattysoo Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Lashes?
    You and I must be chemo twins b/c I finished on 9/24/10. Like you, I seldom mess with makeup, but last weekend I used eye makeup and geez, my lashes looked just like you described. I thought they were back, but apparently they came, fell out, and now are growing in again. I hope this is the final set, and I hope they grow quickly. I have recently read that Taxol has a longer life in your body than I had previously believed. So, maybe these joint and bone pains will finally leave too.