Did you need to permanently change diet after IMRT pelvic radiation?

Options
RoseyR
RoseyR Member Posts: 471 Member
One of my concerns about IMRT pelvic radiation is the possible need to stop eating healthy foods--whole grains and vegetables in particular.

These are the very foods that, according to many books on nutrition and cancer, help us to fight the disease.

So could I hear from any of you who did--or did not--have to permanently omit beans, whole grains, and cooked vegetables from your diet after IMRT?

Appreciatively,

Rosey R

Comments

• RGW
    RGW Member Posts: 60
    Options
    diet
    I had 26 IMRT treatments last summer. I have no long-term side effects from it and eat a perfectly normal diet now. Good luck to you.
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    No, you'll eventually can return to a high fiber diet.
    I had 28 rounds of IMRT in May and June of 2009. It will be important that you return to a healthy high fiber diet once you recover from your IMRT. I would say I was back to my regular diet (salads, whole grains) with a few weeks after IMRT ended. And although I had a relapse of digestive issues after I travelled to Greece and Turkey that August 2009, and ate a lot of new foods from somewhat adventurous dining spots, I was able to again go back on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, & toast) for a month and gradually work fiber back into my diet and soon could again eat anything.
  • RoseyR
    RoseyR Member Posts: 471 Member
    Options

No, you'll eventually can return to a high fiber diet.
    I had 28 rounds of IMRT in May and June of 2009. It will be important that you return to a healthy high fiber diet once you recover from your IMRT. I would say I was back to my regular diet (salads, whole grains) with a few weeks after IMRT ended. And although I had a relapse of digestive issues after I travelled to Greece and Turkey that August 2009, and ate a lot of new foods from somewhat adventurous dining spots, I was able to again go back on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, & toast) for a month and gradually work fiber back into my diet and soon could again eat anything.

Thanks, Linda

You contribute so very much to this web site; thanks for all your informed and caring comments!

Rosey R
  • TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
    Options
    RoseyR said:

Thanks, Linda

You contribute so very much to this web site; thanks for all your informed and caring comments!

Rosey R

Diet
    Rosey,

I still have residual effects (loose bowels) from the radiation...BUT I just go prepared and eat what I want to...

I love veggies and whole grains....

Go at a pace you can handle and slowly reintroduce foods and see how you tolerate...

Laurie
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Rosey,

I had IMRT and had some issues with frequent loose stools when I was about half way through with radiation. Lomotis handled the problem without any major diet changes. That was about 2.5 years ago and although I sometimes have rather frequent stools I don't have diarrhea and I eat LOTS of raw veggies, beans, and whole grains. I have learned to manage it and I enjoy eating.

I think everyone reacts rather differently...

Good luck!

Karen
  • jmnye
    jmnye Member Posts: 14
    Options
    IMRT - 25 rounds
    I had 25 rounds of IMRT. It is 1 year post treatment, and yes, I do have some residual issues. I do eat raw friuts and veggies. I eat beans. But I am not the same as before treatment, that's for sure.

If I eat raw veggies and fruit, I go to the bathroom maybe 3-4 times a day. Before, just once.

Also, I have some fragile tissue in the anal area. I just saw my doctor, and she didn't know why. Thought maybe residual radiation effects. Have tried lots of creams and nothing seems to help.

If I go back to an all white, simple diet - it clears up.

Jane