Options
2»

Comments

• kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    anicca said:

So Sensitive
    I think it comes with the territory. I am pretty new here, and when I posted for help with questions for my doctor and no one responded for several days, I felt really bad and decided that I would delete the post and not post again. Then there was a reply, and I felt a bit foolish and realized I had been over sensitive.

I think it's also hard to not blame ourselves in one way or another. Like I said in the post about CT scans, I can't shake the feeling that the abdominal CT I had 2.5 years ago, when I had a fever and GI problems, caused my cancer. I can just picture the radiation striking those sensitive cells and 2 years later, I have a tumor. The CT showed absolutely no pelvic masses. (It turned out I had pneumonia, which the CT did catch, because it was in the lower part of a lung.) I know there is no way to ever know if it had anything to do with my diagnosis, but it's an idea that just won't go away. I also know that it's not my fault anyway, but can't help playing the "what if" or "if only" game sometimes, and it centers around that scan.

I hear you Anicca
    I have posted sometimes and anxiously await for someone to respond and when they don't I feel rejected. Silly, huh? But eventually like you say someone will. For me it's just so important that I have all of you to communicate with and long for your reassurance and support.

Karen
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    Options
    srwruns said:

I really enjoy robust debate
    I really enjoy robust debate and discussion. I sure didn't feel anyone was personally "attacking" someone else's opinions or ideas. We all have differing perspectives, thoughts and ideas. I like when they are put out there in a non preachy way. The engagement of ideas and robust discussion is something that keeps a discussion board vibrant!

PMS + chemo brain
    You are right Linda--your post did not seem upset at all. I am suffering from a combination of "post-menopausal syndrome" and chemo brain & should go crawl in a hole somewhere. I am overly sensitive for sure. I am sorry to cause a big commotion.
  • kikz
    Options

PMS + chemo brain
    You are right Linda--your post did not seem upset at all. I am suffering from a combination of "post-menopausal syndrome" and chemo brain & should go crawl in a hole somewhere. I am overly sensitive for sure. I am sorry to cause a big commotion.

Let us know where the hole is
    and we'll crawl in with you. This whole "thing" we face is more than a lot of people could handle so pat yourself on the back.

Karen
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Options
    the blind man and the elephant
    I think that's the beauty of this board..everyone is so different and has their own opinion, experience and research to bring to the table. It's great to hear other people's take on things and to discuss and debate and yes disagree at times. Cancer sucks and it is scary . I think we'd all like to believe that eating right, or meditating/visualizing or getting lots of fresh air and sunshine will help change the course but the fact of the matter is, nobody really knows. There are studies upon studies, some that contradict ea. other. Ultimately it seems to be a crap shoot... But that doesn't mean anybody should stop trying, hoping and sharing the wealth of information and ideas that makes this board such a legacy.
  • anicca
    anicca Member Posts: 334 Member
    Options

PMS + chemo brain

I really think it was me you
    I really think it was me you meant. I'll admit I don't like Depak Chopra, and I probably had a knee jerk reaction. I'm very sorry to have pushed the PMS/chemo brain button. I know what chemo brain is like, but 6 months out, I'm not sure if I can still use it as an excuse. I'm hoping I can, because I went to the PO today with a package and didn't remember till I got there that I something else to mail also!
  • zinaida
    zinaida Member Posts: 221
    Options

the blind man and the elephant
    I think that's the beauty of this board..everyone is so different and has their own opinion, experience and research to bring to the table. It's great to hear other people's take on things and to discuss and debate and yes disagree at times. Cancer sucks and it is scary . I think we'd all like to believe that eating right, or meditating/visualizing or getting lots of fresh air and sunshine will help change the course but the fact of the matter is, nobody really knows. There are studies upon studies, some that contradict ea. other. Ultimately it seems to be a crap shoot... But that doesn't mean anybody should stop trying, hoping and sharing the wealth of information and ideas that makes this board such a legacy.

My second opinion doctor
    My second opinion doctor answer on my qustion about special diets to help fight cancer: a lot of foods can fight cancer, but need eat it in elephant dose to see positive result. I eat already a lot (steroids side effect) and getting only biger :), love you all my teal sisters,Zina.
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    zinaida said:

My second opinion doctor
    My second opinion doctor answer on my qustion about special diets to help fight cancer: a lot of foods can fight cancer, but need eat it in elephant dose to see positive result. I eat already a lot (steroids side effect) and getting only biger :), love you all my teal sisters,Zina.

Deepak Chopra
    I find Deepak Chopra to be strangely annoying also...especially when I tried to shrink tumors with the "pure potentiality" of my mind and only chemo could shrink the tumors.

I am working on maximizing the placebo effect of thinking "When I hold my infant grandson, it is healing me."

C
  • childofthestars
    childofthestars Member Posts: 251 Member
    Options

dietary considerations
    Kelly

To the best of my knowledge, no research has been done on the subject. However, when you understand that a PET scan uses radioactive-tagged sugar to "light up" cancer, then you might think there is some truth to the notion that sugar feeds cancer.

My view
    Well I think
    Eat, drink and be merry all in MODERATION but occassionally not!
    I think 'science' has a good idea of what causes some types of cancer but that's it.
    Sooooo until anyone knows for sure .................. why not ENJOY life :)))))
    Michelle x
    (I'm very happy today cos the sun is shining and it's quite warm - for March in England anyway!).
  • anicca
    Options
    carolenk said:

Deepak Chopra
    I find Deepak Chopra to be strangely annoying also...especially when I tried to shrink tumors with the "pure potentiality" of my mind and only chemo could shrink the tumors.

I am working on maximizing the placebo effect of thinking "When I hold my infant grandson, it is healing me."

C

Placebo Effect
    Now that's something I can believe in! I'm an atheist, and have been since around the age of 12. It's just not in me to believe, but I invented what I call "placebo prayer" in the week post-surgery. I think the act of praying can be a form of meditation and can be helpful in itself, no belief required.
  • pattysoo
    pattysoo Member Posts: 170
    Options
    anicca said:

Placebo Effect
    Now that's something I can believe in! I'm an atheist, and have been since around the age of 12. It's just not in me to believe, but I invented what I call "placebo prayer" in the week post-surgery. I think the act of praying can be a form of meditation and can be helpful in itself, no belief required.

I LOVE how this thread resolved into a peaceful, yet still stimulating conversation about differences. We DO have a lot to deal with, and thank goodness we feel free to express those concerns/beliefs safely here. My hat's off to all of you dear ones. If I could be a walking meditation I would, but of course I'd probably forget to tie my shoes or turn off the stove, or something.
    Seriously, I too, don't practice any religion, but found myself enormously comforted by the many acquaintances who told me, "I'm praying for you." It's made me think.....
  • vj1
    vj1 Member Posts: 150
    Options
    pattysoo said:

I LOVE how this thread resolved into a peaceful, yet still stimulating conversation about differences. We DO have a lot to deal with, and thank goodness we feel free to express those concerns/beliefs safely here. My hat's off to all of you dear ones. If I could be a walking meditation I would, but of course I'd probably forget to tie my shoes or turn off the stove, or something.
    Seriously, I too, don't practice any religion, but found myself enormously comforted by the many acquaintances who told me, "I'm praying for you." It's made me think.....

stimulating
    This group of posts have been very good. Lots of thoughts coming from the "warriors" I think this is positive thinking and no one should EVER feel their comments are not received with understanding and compassion.
    As far as food goes, I do believe moderation is the key. Cancer or no cancer, we all know sugar and white flour are not the best for anyone to have in abundance.
    I do practice religion and feel that I am ecumentically challenged; first by the spelling and then by my choices. I attend the Methodist church in the summer in Pa and the Episcopal here in Fl in the winter. I have always believed that "your belief" is within yourself and to practice religion is to practice the Golden Rule. As we say here in the Fla keys--One Human Family! You don't have to have organized religion to do this.
    Ok--off my soap box--bottom line--keep the posts like these coming. It sparks the brain.
    Positive wishes to you all and to all a Good Night! (chemo brain--shades of Christmas)

Verna
  • anicca
    Options
    pattysoo said:

I'm praying for you
    I am Jewish, and where/when I grew up, "I'm praying for you" meant the prayer was that I would be "saved" and find Jesus, and, not surprisingly, I always found that very offensive. I have since learned (from my daughter!) that most people mean it as a show of genuine concern and love, in hopes that all will be well, and with the intention to comfort. I now gratefully accept all prayers. I also think it goes both ways. People who pray for others derive comfort from that act. There is a Buddhist practice called "metta," which is meditation with an outward direction of peace and goodwill towards others. When I'm able to meditate I do that.
  • LaundryQueen
    Options
    anicca said:

I'm praying for you
    I am Jewish, and where/when I grew up, "I'm praying for you" meant the prayer was that I would be "saved" and find Jesus, and, not surprisingly, I always found that very offensive. I have since learned (from my daughter!) that most people mean it as a show of genuine concern and love, in hopes that all will be well, and with the intention to comfort. I now gratefully accept all prayers. I also think it goes both ways. People who pray for others derive comfort from that act. There is a Buddhist practice called "metta," which is meditation with an outward direction of peace and goodwill towards others. When I'm able to meditate I do that.

The Power of Prayer
    Amen to that!
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    If you read the archives,
    you will notice that thus subject comes up about every other month. And sometimes it does touch a nerve, and I don't know exactly why. Anyway, I love hearing all your opinions and so glad everyone feels free to share them. I take a moderation/commom sense leaning toward a healthy as possible, approach.

Off and on over the years, especially when I was young and radical, I swore off sugar, coffe and even meat. (I also bikded 100 to 200 miles a week.) The older I get the less radical I get and the more grey everything becomes. I still happen to like healthy food, but it certainly doesn't stop me from making my chocolate chip cookies once in a while, and I always use real butter, although throw in a bit of wheat flour and genmai (brown rice) flour for good measure.

I think what really got me, (I jsut shared this on an earlier thread, so pardon me if you have already heard this story) was when my very healthy (not a cigarette in her life) naturalpath died of late stage lung cancer. It really brought things into a new focus. Cancer is no respecter of persons!

Anyway, I support all of you, whatever you choose to put in your mouth. I think the condition of your heart (holding onto bitterness etc) is probably more important than what you put in your mouth.

My two cents today,
    k
  • kikz
    Options
    kayandok said:

If you read the archives,
    you will notice that thus subject comes up about every other month. And sometimes it does touch a nerve, and I don't know exactly why. Anyway, I love hearing all your opinions and so glad everyone feels free to share them. I take a moderation/commom sense leaning toward a healthy as possible, approach.

Off and on over the years, especially when I was young and radical, I swore off sugar, coffe and even meat. (I also bikded 100 to 200 miles a week.) The older I get the less radical I get and the more grey everything becomes. I still happen to like healthy food, but it certainly doesn't stop me from making my chocolate chip cookies once in a while, and I always use real butter, although throw in a bit of wheat flour and genmai (brown rice) flour for good measure.

I think what really got me, (I jsut shared this on an earlier thread, so pardon me if you have already heard this story) was when my very healthy (not a cigarette in her life) naturalpath died of late stage lung cancer. It really brought things into a new focus. Cancer is no respecter of persons!

Anyway, I support all of you, whatever you choose to put in your mouth. I think the condition of your heart (holding onto bitterness etc) is probably more important than what you put in your mouth.

My two cents today,
    k

I feel like you do, k.
    Since my diagnosis, throughout treatment and even now, I find I have little tolerance for negativity of any kind. This includes pettiness, gossiping or hurting anyone's feelings in any way. I want to enjoy whatever time I have left on this earth in a positive manner. I realize that no one knows when they will die but let's face it, we have all read the statistics. Horrible as that may be, it at least helps us see what is really important. I try to put my illness in perspective. It is there but it will not rule my life. I am in charge of how I live my life and that means I give everyone else the respect to live theirs as they see fit.

I wish someone could come up with a definitive diet that would help prevent or cure this monster but until that day I will do my best to be as healthy as I can.

Having said that I am going to enjoy some Starburst fruit chews as I watch American Idol. LOL

Karen
  • JFAP555
    JFAP555 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    kikz said:

I feel like you do, k.
    Since my diagnosis, throughout treatment and even now, I find I have little tolerance for negativity of any kind. This includes pettiness, gossiping or hurting anyone's feelings in any way. I want to enjoy whatever time I have left on this earth in a positive manner. I realize that no one knows when they will die but let's face it, we have all read the statistics. Horrible as that may be, it at least helps us see what is really important. I try to put my illness in perspective. It is there but it will not rule my life. I am in charge of how I live my life and that means I give everyone else the respect to live theirs as they see fit.

I wish someone could come up with a definitive diet that would help prevent or cure this monster but until that day I will do my best to be as healthy as I can.

Having said that I am going to enjoy some Starburst fruit chews as I watch American Idol. LOL

Karen

NEW HERE
    Hi - I was on a PC discussion board associated with a specific hostpial All I did was cut and paste an article about refined sugar and cancer and I was slammed, cursed out and told I was an idiot. Even though our Oncologist agree with it I was told that I was stupid and not only was I stupid, I was a moron because my husband was being treated at Sloan Kettering. Beat up by strangers I didn't even know who hid behind an anonymous name tag. I read all of the above you have all written and totally agree. I think this is a very passionate subject and to each his own. My husband has Pancreatic Cancer and has done well and we've avoided all refined sugar for the past year since his diagnosis. My philosophy is that refined products and bleached flours and all the chemicals usually associated with products made with refined sugar can't do you any good. The argument on the other board was that PC patients had to gain weight so they should have as many twinkies as they want. Our cancer nutritionist showed us all kinds of delicious foods high in calories, healthy with no refined sugar..so why not? if your trying to build up your immune system and eat healthy try to avoid them. But, now and then do we have a Mr. Softee ice cream cone of course, but we are not the sugar addicts we were prior to his diagnosis.
    The most valuable lesson I personally learned with this that we can discuss it intelligently, agree to disagree or check out what the person has to say perhaps to learn something new we didn't now and figure out what to do with that information.
    I'm so glad I have this discussion - so thank you!
    Janet
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    JFAP555 said:

NEW HERE
    Hi - I was on a PC discussion board associated with a specific hostpial All I did was cut and paste an article about refined sugar and cancer and I was slammed, cursed out and told I was an idiot. Even though our Oncologist agree with it I was told that I was stupid and not only was I stupid, I was a moron because my husband was being treated at Sloan Kettering. Beat up by strangers I didn't even know who hid behind an anonymous name tag. I read all of the above you have all written and totally agree. I think this is a very passionate subject and to each his own. My husband has Pancreatic Cancer and has done well and we've avoided all refined sugar for the past year since his diagnosis. My philosophy is that refined products and bleached flours and all the chemicals usually associated with products made with refined sugar can't do you any good. The argument on the other board was that PC patients had to gain weight so they should have as many twinkies as they want. Our cancer nutritionist showed us all kinds of delicious foods high in calories, healthy with no refined sugar..so why not? if your trying to build up your immune system and eat healthy try to avoid them. But, now and then do we have a Mr. Softee ice cream cone of course, but we are not the sugar addicts we were prior to his diagnosis.
    The most valuable lesson I personally learned with this that we can discuss it intelligently, agree to disagree or check out what the person has to say perhaps to learn something new we didn't now and figure out what to do with that information.
    I'm so glad I have this discussion - so thank you!
    Janet

Janet....rest assured that
    Janet....rest assured that no one here will beat you up for your point of view. We do disagree, that's true. But half the world disagrees with the other half. It's HOW you disagree that matters. Respect for other people is key. Name-calling is never appropriate.

Having said all that....I have been on this train for 20 months now, and I'd love nothing more than to get off. If any reputable studies were made available that proved sugar "feeds" cancer (or peanut butter causes it, asparagus and/or lemon kills it, etc) then I would be the first one to swear off sugar.

We are not doctors. We assume a lot just by giving the advice that we hand out so freely here. And we have a responsibility not to post anything that might influence people to seek out unproven "cures", in place of traditional treatment. Supplements and lifestyle changes are great additions to the cancer-fighting arsenal, but they do not take the place of chemotherapy and other drug-related treatments. Cancer patients are desperate. My concern is that someone will read some of these things, then decide they don't need doctors or chemo to heal themselves. They will just cut out flour, sugar, peanut butter - whatever the latest fad may be - and take more vitamins, eat a ton of lemons, etc. And they will most likely die, even sooner than they had to.

The key to getting along here is to be true to yourself, but don't take it personally if everyone does not jump on the same bandwagon. Several ladies here get regular infusions of vitamin C and other supplements. They also consult their oncologists regularly and all of them completed conventional chemo. They are admired and valued here, and no one would think of chastising them for their treatment choices. I went 180 degrees the other direction. I completed my Carbo/Taxol and elected to do a full year of Taxol maintenance, then, when that ended, I signed up for a clinical vaccine trial. My approach has been to seek out everything science has to offer. That does not mean I would ridicule anyone who chose to have less of that nasty, toxic stuff pumped into their bodies. I certainly would not.

Share, by all means, but please don't preach. And always cite your references. And above all, be kind to your fellow posters. None of us is here because we want to be.

Carlene
  • LaundryQueen
    Options

Janet....rest assured that
    Janet....rest assured that no one here will beat you up for your point of view. We do disagree, that's true. But half the world disagrees with the other half. It's HOW you disagree that matters. Respect for other people is key. Name-calling is never appropriate.

Having said all that....I have been on this train for 20 months now, and I'd love nothing more than to get off. If any reputable studies were made available that proved sugar "feeds" cancer (or peanut butter causes it, asparagus and/or lemon kills it, etc) then I would be the first one to swear off sugar.

We are not doctors. We assume a lot just by giving the advice that we hand out so freely here. And we have a responsibility not to post anything that might influence people to seek out unproven "cures", in place of traditional treatment. Supplements and lifestyle changes are great additions to the cancer-fighting arsenal, but they do not take the place of chemotherapy and other drug-related treatments. Cancer patients are desperate. My concern is that someone will read some of these things, then decide they don't need doctors or chemo to heal themselves. They will just cut out flour, sugar, peanut butter - whatever the latest fad may be - and take more vitamins, eat a ton of lemons, etc. And they will most likely die, even sooner than they had to.

The key to getting along here is to be true to yourself, but don't take it personally if everyone does not jump on the same bandwagon. Several ladies here get regular infusions of vitamin C and other supplements. They also consult their oncologists regularly and all of them completed conventional chemo. They are admired and valued here, and no one would think of chastising them for their treatment choices. I went 180 degrees the other direction. I completed my Carbo/Taxol and elected to do a full year of Taxol maintenance, then, when that ended, I signed up for a clinical vaccine trial. My approach has been to seek out everything science has to offer. That does not mean I would ridicule anyone who chose to have less of that nasty, toxic stuff pumped into their bodies. I certainly would not.

Share, by all means, but please don't preach. And always cite your references. And above all, be kind to your fellow posters. None of us is here because we want to be.

Carlene

The anticancer way of life
    Anyone who has read Dr. Servan-Schreiber's book: Anticancer: A New Way of Life and still thinks it is a good idea to eat sugar (or anything that causes an increase in insulin blood level) after a cancer diagnosis is missing the point of the book.

The point of the book is to lower the risk of cancer and the risk of cancer recurrence. The doctor included only information that was researched in his book. The Women's Health Initiative study (2009) is one of studies that confirmed the link between high insulin levels and breast cancer.

Get the book, read it and use it as your reference.

Food is a very personal subject and to tell someone that sugar is trying to kill them is almost like telling someone that their lover is trying to kill them.