Cant TASTE anything!

Options
2»

Comments

• NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options
    lemon drops
    I used lemon drops to combat the metallic taste. I only had that distaste for food through the first 3 treatments and it was usually worse the first week after treatment. By the 4th treatment (I had 8 total, 4AC and 4 Taxol) I was able to eat and taste again. Lost about 20 lbs on the AC treatments, gained it back on the Taxol. I think it was the steroids and inability to get up the energy to do intense exercise. Hang in there. You will get through it soon and be eating all your favorite stuff again.
  • pokrydi
    pokrydi Member Posts: 99
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

lemon drops
    I used lemon drops to combat the metallic taste. I only had that distaste for food through the first 3 treatments and it was usually worse the first week after treatment. By the 4th treatment (I had 8 total, 4AC and 4 Taxol) I was able to eat and taste again. Lost about 20 lbs on the AC treatments, gained it back on the Taxol. I think it was the steroids and inability to get up the energy to do intense exercise. Hang in there. You will get through it soon and be eating all your favorite stuff again.

At that point myself I just
    At that point myself I just keep a basket of alot of jello, pudding etc on my table so that I have a visual cinn applesauce works for me campbells soup that are in the plastic containers, also having a hard time drinking the water but have gotten use to drinking more with some crystal light of something added hope this helps Di
  • Mothercrone
    Mothercrone Member Posts: 28
    Options
    cabbott said:

The bad taste problem
    While I haven't had chemo, the last time I came home from surgery I had the same problem from the meds they used on me. Nasty metallic taste and stomach turning flips every time I smelled or tasted food that I knew was good. I couldn't eat it.

My oncologist gives away hard candies-mostly fruit flavors that his nurses said helps. I was at home and stuck with all my favorite bland foods that were sweet or salty. Stuff like mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, frozen popsicles, or slushies worked loads better than meat or fancy caseroles. I couldn't handle fried chicken and barely dealt with roasted chicken. Custard sounded okay in small cups. I didn't want to look at a whole plate of food despite knowing that I hadn't really eaten in a few days. IV doesn't count as eating. Cream of wheat with plenty of brown sugar was okay. I've read that french toast with maple syrup works for some people. Some folks hid veggies in custards. Corn custard, sweet potatoes custard or carrot custard are some of the possibilities. Keep portions small and try eating more often rather than more at once. What you drink counts as well as what you eat. If all you can do is drink ensure, do that. Frozen fruit or juice is nutritious too. If you like eggs, they have lots of nutrition in them. But your doctor will probably ask you to cook them since you don't want any chance of problems that could potentially happen with raw eggs. Good luck!

I Feel Your Pain
    The chemo metallic taste is certainly awful. All my favorite foods I can no longer stomach. I do eat them because I need nutrition but it's not an enjoyable experience.

I tend to be able to "taste" sweet foods better than savory. So I eat oatmeal, cereal, cottage cheese, Nutella, butterscotch hard candies, sliced peaches. I also use plastic utensils. It is difficult for me to hydrate because even water tastes so awful.

I use Biotene mouthwash and sometimes suck on peppermint hard candies.

Good luck to you.
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Options
    All that tasted good to me was.....
    chicken noodle soup. Lived on it for the 4 months I had A/C but when I went on Taxotere, my appetite came back.

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

All that tasted good to me was.....
    chicken noodle soup. Lived on it for the 4 months I had A/C but when I went on Taxotere, my appetite came back.

Love and Light,
    Vicki

Try using a straw
    I could tolerate and really liked smoothies which I drank through a straw. At least they were nutritious. Ditto for milkshakes. (it was summer). I agree with Vicki, chicken noodle soup was also comforting. I ate scrambled eggs. I guess the things I could eat were things that didn't have to spend time in my mouth for very long. I was amazed at all the things I could not eat - I love to eat. I'd think I wanted something, and then just couldn't eat it. It's important to eat, so eat what you can. Ginger is supposed to help - I tried ginger ale and it didn't help me. The anti-nausea meds also did not help with the metallic taste.

Dang, those were icky times! You'll have yours behind you, too. In the meantime, just do the best you can.

Suzanne
  • ennie__1
    ennie__1 Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    what i ate
    I should say what I eat lots of instant mashed potatos canned soup, tuna fish with cheese mixed in. The one thing I can not get enough of in red or blue otter pops, and it must be the red or the blue. Crazy huh, by the way Im still going through my chemo but from the start of this I have lost a total of 70 lbs I was a bit heavy when this all started.I am hoping I don't gain much back when its all said and done.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    ennie__1 said:

what i ate
    I should say what I eat lots of instant mashed potatos canned soup, tuna fish with cheese mixed in. The one thing I can not get enough of in red or blue otter pops, and it must be the red or the blue. Crazy huh, by the way Im still going through my chemo but from the start of this I have lost a total of 70 lbs I was a bit heavy when this all started.I am hoping I don't gain much back when its all said and done.

chicken noodle soup and
    chicken noodle soup and mango smoothies from panera bread. I lost alot of weight too.
    80 pounds I was fat. now I have gained back 10 and trying to get about 5 of it off.