Estrogen + Question

LoveBabyJesus
LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
Hi Ladies!

Just had a curiosity. My tumor was rich in estrogen (99%). I know many women have the same case. I was suggested I take the chemo treatment from my Dr., as well as the 5-year pill to help stop the estrogen. Now, what happens after this period? I am 32, and will probably continue to have my periods by the time the pill treatment is over. I am also harvesting my eggs to have one child one day, if possible. I know when women get pregnant the estrogen level goes up high. Would this put me back at a high risk? I know many women choose to become mothers after BC. May of them harvest their eggs. Are you one of these women? Any thoughts about this topic?

Love

Comments

• Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Estrogen
    I can just give you some insight. I have/DCIS(non invasive)No chemo or radiation.BUT I did start on Tamoxifin.Been on it for 15 months.No worries for me since I had a hysterotomy when I was in my 40's.My friend though who was diagnosed with a Stage 3 cancer with some node involvement did have chemo and radiation.She was in her late 40's but quit periods after that treatment.She told me it was the chemo.She did take Tamoxifin for 5 years after chemo and radiation and another pill for 5 years.She has been cancer free for over 16 years.So her periods did stop after all that but not sure how long after the treatments started. She did say the chemo put her through the change.

You are much younger than us.So I can't tell what the outcome for you would be but you want to have a child and will try by harvesting your eggs.A good idea. Talk to your doctor and see if your periods may stop and about the effects of chemo, radiation and tamoxfin will have on your body. I just know what happened to my friend but she was almost to the age where a women goes through the change.

Ask your doctor if your periods will stop???? Might for some and not for others.Like I mentioned my friend was at the age where she was going to go through the change.
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member

Estrogen
    I can just give you some insight. I have/DCIS(non invasive)No chemo or radiation.BUT I did start on Tamoxifin.Been on it for 15 months.No worries for me since I had a hysterotomy when I was in my 40's.My friend though who was diagnosed with a Stage 3 cancer with some node involvement did have chemo and radiation.She was in her late 40's but quit periods after that treatment.She told me it was the chemo.She did take Tamoxifin for 5 years after chemo and radiation and another pill for 5 years.She has been cancer free for over 16 years.So her periods did stop after all that but not sure how long after the treatments started. She did say the chemo put her through the change.

You are much younger than us.So I can't tell what the outcome for you would be but you want to have a child and will try by harvesting your eggs.A good idea. Talk to your doctor and see if your periods may stop and about the effects of chemo, radiation and tamoxfin will have on your body. I just know what happened to my friend but she was almost to the age where a women goes through the change.

Ask your doctor if your periods will stop???? Might for some and not for others.Like I mentioned my friend was at the age where she was going to go through the change.

Thank You.
    There is a 50% chance it will. I guess it's different for some women. But I don't want to lose my chances. It's best to have the opportunity available no matter what happens later - that was my thought. Though my cancer was estrogen based, I still want to have one baby. :) But you're right. I will ask questions to my Onco this week. Harvesting costs a lot of $!!!

Thank you for your feedback.

Love
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I was 33 back in 1987 when I
    I was 33 back in 1987 when I was diagnosed with Stage 3A (large tumor, 4 nodes) and estrogen dependent tumor. My doc advised against having more children (I had a daughter) and Danny and I decided not to risk trying again.

I underwent a mastectomy, chemo and radiation followed by 7 years of tamoxifen (back then we weren't sure how long I should take tamoxifen). My periods stopped for a few years, but then came back regular as ever. I may well have been fertile then??

I went through menopause for good at about age 45 (hard to remember now), but it was early for the women in my family.

My younger sister also had an estrogen dependent tumor and her doc advised against more children, so, since she had two boys, she decided not to risk it. She was about 40 when she was diagnosed and her periods stopped during treatment and never returned.

Please do not think that I am trying to influence you one way or the other. I am just relating what we were told and what we did. Good luck to you and you are in my prayers/
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I was 33 back in 1987 when I
    I was 33 back in 1987 when I was diagnosed with Stage 3A (large tumor, 4 nodes) and estrogen dependent tumor. My doc advised against having more children (I had a daughter) and Danny and I decided not to risk trying again.

I underwent a mastectomy, chemo and radiation followed by 7 years of tamoxifen (back then we weren't sure how long I should take tamoxifen). My periods stopped for a few years, but then came back regular as ever. I may well have been fertile then??

I went through menopause for good at about age 45 (hard to remember now), but it was early for the women in my family.

My younger sister also had an estrogen dependent tumor and her doc advised against more children, so, since she had two boys, she decided not to risk it. She was about 40 when she was diagnosed and her periods stopped during treatment and never returned.

Please do not think that I am trying to influence you one way or the other. I am just relating what we were told and what we did. Good luck to you and you are in my prayers/

I a have a friend who had an
    I have a friend who had an estrogen positive tumor and two nodes, she had two children after diagnosis. She is well. It was stressful for her, each time.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    carkris said:

I a have a friend who had an
    I have a friend who had an estrogen positive tumor and two nodes, she had two children after diagnosis. She is well. It was stressful for her, each time.

First of all you have harvested your eggs
    That was a very wise decision. You need to talk to your doctor. Different Chemo drugs affect ovary differentely. Tell your doctor that you are thinking about having children. After everything will be over for you (surgery, Chemo, radiation if you need it) you have to have similar discussion again
    There is an option of surrogate mother. It is expensive, but depending on your situation, you might think about it. Remember show Friends and Phibbie.
    Please do not do anything without serious consultation with your oncologist. I have read that women had children after cancer treatment, however for some it di cause recurrence.
    My cancer was 99% positive. I was told by my team that it is very important to stay cancer free at least for 3 years. I think in your situation you should not have children for at least 3 years after you finish invasive treatment. I was diagnosed at 46, underwent Chemotherapy and Chemo induced menopause. My treatment plan is desined to keep it permanent.
    I am very sorry that you have to deal with this at a very early age. With advances in science I am sure your medical team will find a sutible solution for you.
    Best of luck to you