2»

Comments

• Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    Options

Hi,
    Yes, it's scary starting

Hi,

Yes, it's scary starting chemo! I started 2 weeks ago with AC, I'll also have four. I'm doing fine. The first week I felt tired and didn't do much. I took the pills they prescribed faithfully so had little nausea. Just follow directions with the anti-nausea meds and drink LOTS and LOTS of water - it flushes out the toxins and you will do much better if you just keep drinking. I got up 5-6 times that night to pee but I'd rather do that than be sick!

Also took the advice and drank lots the days prior so I was hydrated when I went in. I got lots of good feedback when I posted "chemo jeebies" if you want to look it up with a search, it was ALL helpful. Just remember, the fear is the worst part, by far. I've never been incapacited, I've been able to get up and take care of things.

Hugs,
    LynD

Just think, at this time
    Just think, at this time tomorrow you will have completed the most difficult aspect of chemo-the first session! Always worst with the not knowing. With one chemo under your belt, you will know what to expect and it will go easier on you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, my pink sister!

"May you be at Peace; May you be free of Suffering,"
    Dianne
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    Options
    PinkJazz, we will all be
    PinkJazz, we will all be there with you holding your hand through this. The beginning of the treatment journey is hard since you dont know what to expect. As the sisters have told you, we are all different and react differently. But you will find the strength inside of yourself to get through this...with our support. This site got me through many difficult days and made me laugh and rejoice on others. We are all here for you...you are in my thoughts and prayers today. I know it is scarey at first...but remember, you will win this battle with the beast. Hugs
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    have no advice (I only did Radiation)
    Just wanted to say thinking of you..!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    PinkJazz said:

Thank you all of my pink sisters
    Everyone has been such an encouragement to me. I just got my port put in last Friday very sore yet. They told me it may hurt tomorrow because of the port just being placed. I will put the ice on prior. Thank you so much

How did your first chemo go?
    How did your first chemo go? Sending big hugs to you!

Jan
  • Punkindo
    Punkindo Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Chemo nurses are ANGELS!!!
    I honestly think I had the best Chemo nurse in the world!! I was so stressed out when I came in for my first appointment, but within mins she had me at ease. When I came in for each chemo, as soon as I saw her, I knew I was going to be fine. I am done with chemo, but I stop by from time to time just to say hey and thank her again. She was amazing!!

Also some chemo places have private rooms. It is nice if you just want to be alone. I could never sleep because I was afraid I would snore or drool or something. Lol. But if you are uncomfortable, you might could get a private room.

Definately bring something to read or do and a pillow and snuggly blanket. I didn't know to do this the first time and was sooo boored.

My chemo center actually brought snacks and drinks arround too which was awesome too.

Plus you will have all of us with you!!! We got your back!!!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Don't expect 'anything'
    but be prepared for 'everything'! We are each so different that what I had to deal with is not exactly the same thing that anyone else dealt with - you are the same - you are unique so what is going to happen with you is not known. Don't expect to be 'sick' - IF you re talking about nausea - you will be given a lot of meds to prevent. For me A/C wasn't bad - Taxol was - but there a lot of others that have the exact results.

Susan
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Punkindo said:

Chemo nurses are ANGELS!!!
    I honestly think I had the best Chemo nurse in the world!! I was so stressed out when I came in for my first appointment, but within mins she had me at ease. When I came in for each chemo, as soon as I saw her, I knew I was going to be fine. I am done with chemo, but I stop by from time to time just to say hey and thank her again. She was amazing!!

Also some chemo places have private rooms. It is nice if you just want to be alone. I could never sleep because I was afraid I would snore or drool or something. Lol. But if you are uncomfortable, you might could get a private room.

Definately bring something to read or do and a pillow and snuggly blanket. I didn't know to do this the first time and was sooo boored.

My chemo center actually brought snacks and drinks arround too which was awesome too.

Plus you will have all of us with you!!! We got your back!!!

Warm 'blankies'
    My Center had nice warmed blankets for you and would bring new ones if you asked - pillows too but they weren't warmed. They also had lots of snackies, soup and drinks for you. Private cable TV in each cubicle.

My first 4 (A/C) I had a reclinner but with the Taxol i got a private room with a bed and own heater so could warm up. The IV Benadryl (oral Benadryl with A/C didn't bother me) would knock me out so I got a bed for those.

Susan
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Don't expect 'anything'
    but be prepared for 'everything'! We are each so different that what I had to deal with is not exactly the same thing that anyone else dealt with - you are the same - you are unique so what is going to happen with you is not known. Don't expect to be 'sick' - IF you re talking about nausea - you will be given a lot of meds to prevent. For me A/C wasn't bad - Taxol was - but there a lot of others that have the exact results.

Susan

Take all of your fav goodies..
    I recommend you take a good book, your lap top and some of your fav goodies... I was all set with something to keep me occupied. It makes the time fly. Like all of the prior comments...go in without the expectation of getting sick. It's scary...but not that bad. You'll get through with flying colors. Also Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Wishing you all the Best tomorrow. Hugs~ ;0)
  • PinkJazz
    PinkJazz Member Posts: 12
    Options

How did your first chemo go?
    How did your first chemo go? Sending big hugs to you!

Jan

It was an experience I won't forget
    It went well once we got started. The skin around the Port was to swollen therefore after 2 trys I had to go to the surgeons office for him to put the needle in the port via ultra sound. I was all calm until this happen then I had a melt down. Return to chemo and all went well after that. I am now home with the nausea under control struggling with drinking because I am not a water drinker, but I am doing it. What do you suggest is a good diet that does not bother the blisters, I have a few. But all in all not a bad experience. Thank you Pink Sister's for all the hugs and prayers.
    Janet
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    PinkJazz said:

It went well once we got started. The skin around the Port was to swollen therefore after 2 trys I had to go to the surgeons office for him to put the needle in the port via ultra sound. I was all calm until this happen then I had a melt down. Return to chemo and all went well after that. I am now home with the nausea under control struggling with drinking because I am not a water drinker, but I am doing it. What do you suggest is a good diet that does not bother the blisters, I have a few. But all in all not a bad experience. Thank you Pink Sister's for all the hugs and prayers.
    Janet

So sorry about your port
    So sorry about your port trouble. You had every right to have a melt down, I would too.

I didn't have chemo, but, I know all the pink sisters say to drink as much water as possible.

I am hoping that someone will post what would be good to eat since you have blisters.

Maybe, start a new post asking that?

Sending you a hug,

Angie
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

have no advice (I only did Radiation)
    Just wanted to say thinking of you..!

Sending you hugs and
    Sending you hugs and positive thoughts for your chemo treatments.
  • janelle2011
    janelle2011 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm glad to hear your
    I'm glad to hear your treatment wasn't too bad! I had my first treatment 2 wks ago and was lucky enough not to have any side effects. Except for the steroids! Way too much! LOL

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned eating a cup of ice during chemo, but it helps you not get the mouth sores. Supposedly, it freezes the tissue, so it doesn't absorb the drugs.....seemed to work for me. In the meantime, I think you can rinse with baking soda to ease the pain. No expert here, just new to the rules! :o)

I'm like you....I can't stand to drink water either! Never have been a water drinker, until now! If you tell yourself that putting that foul tasting liquid is going to help with side effects AND make it easier on your organs....you can do it! I still don't like it, but drink it all the time! My body is going through enough and I don't want to add anything else to it! :o)

Here's to your new drink of choice!

Hugs!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Warm 'blankies'
    My Center had nice warmed blankets for you and would bring new ones if you asked - pillows too but they weren't warmed. They also had lots of snackies, soup and drinks for you. Private cable TV in each cubicle.

My first 4 (A/C) I had a reclinner but with the Taxol i got a private room with a bed and own heater so could warm up. The IV Benadryl (oral Benadryl with A/C didn't bother me) would knock me out so I got a bed for those.

Susan

So glad that your treatment
    So glad that your treatment wasn't really bad for you. Sending you hugs, strength and lots of support.

Sue :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Hi,
    Yes, it's scary starting

Hi,

Yes, it's scary starting chemo! I started 2 weeks ago with AC, I'll also have four. I'm doing fine. The first week I felt tired and didn't do much. I took the pills they prescribed faithfully so had little nausea. Just follow directions with the anti-nausea meds and drink LOTS and LOTS of water - it flushes out the toxins and you will do much better if you just keep drinking. I got up 5-6 times that night to pee but I'd rather do that than be sick!

Also took the advice and drank lots the days prior so I was hydrated when I went in. I got lots of good feedback when I posted "chemo jeebies" if you want to look it up with a search, it was ALL helpful. Just remember, the fear is the worst part, by far. I've never been incapacited, I've been able to get up and take care of things.

Hugs,
    LynD

Sending calming thoughts and
    Sending calming thoughts and lots of prayers for you.

Leeza
  • rubykirk@pink
    rubykirk@pink Member Posts: 1
    Options
    PinkJazz said:

Janet

how are you feeling today my pink girl ........
    well you had your 2nd treatment yesterday, when visiting with you, I think you are doing a fantastic job, and with God all things are possible. I am really enjoying are bonding and having breakfast with you. I really love you antie, you have always been the glue that trys to keep the family together, now it's time for the family to help you get threw this chemo thing. well may you have a blessed day in his name, and remember continue to fight like a girl. love you pinkjazz :-)
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    congratulations
    You were given lots of great advice. Sorry I didn't find your post until now, I'm fairly new to tsite also. I had 4 rounds of AC cocktail and then 4 of Tax. All went well. Take your nausea meds before you go! Talk to your dentist about a special "stuff" they have that's a neutralizer gel. It helps with the mouth sores. Also drink or eat cold stuff during your treatment and as soon as you get home. Flavored ice pops are good if you can get over the "kid" feeling. My doc and my nurses both suggested this. Also put moist heat on tumor site as soon as you get home. That draws the chemo to the cancer. Since your mouth is warm and moist anyway, the cold stuff helps keep the drugs from your mouth and prevents sores. Had just a couple spots that were tender following this advice but no real problems. Hang in there girlfriend, you'll be fine!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Don't expect 'anything'

Susan

Hoping and praying that your
    Hoping and praying that your chemo will go easily for you. Keep us updated.

Hugs, Debby
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

I'm glad to hear your
    I'm glad to hear your treatment wasn't too bad! I had my first treatment 2 wks ago and was lucky enough not to have any side effects. Except for the steroids! Way too much! LOL

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned eating a cup of ice during chemo, but it helps you not get the mouth sores. Supposedly, it freezes the tissue, so it doesn't absorb the drugs.....seemed to work for me. In the meantime, I think you can rinse with baking soda to ease the pain. No expert here, just new to the rules! :o)

I'm like you....I can't stand to drink water either! Never have been a water drinker, until now! If you tell yourself that putting that foul tasting liquid is going to help with side effects AND make it easier on your organs....you can do it! I still don't like it, but drink it all the time! My body is going through enough and I don't want to add anything else to it! :o)

Here's to your new drink of choice!

Hugs!

Very glad that your first
    Very glad that your first chemo wasn't as bad as you had thought it would be. The unknown is scary.

Wishing you good luck with chemo,

Leeza