Question about pain with Taxol ?

Options
catlover6
catlover6 Member Posts: 10
I just finished up my chemo ( YAHOO ! ) on the 28th of Feb. I started chemo in mid October - I had 4 treatments of A/C and 12 treatments of Taxol. I've also had to have nulasta shots ( 3 sequential days ) after each Taxol treatment due to low white counts. The nulasta pain seems to be gone, but the Taxol pain is awful. ( at least I think that's what's causing it - the nulasta pain seemed to be more in my bones, but the pain I have now is more muscular ). About 2/3 into my taxol treatments I had to go on percocet to deal with it all ( and get any sleep ). I take 1 pill 2x/day now. I was hoping this week the muscular pain would start to get better - but it's terrible. My legs/feet, arms/hands ache so much sometimes I want to jump out of my body. It almost feels like I need to stretch, but when I do, it actually hurts more. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to make it better? How long will it last ? I really want to get off of the pain meds, but the pain is impossible to deal with unless I take it.
Thanks for all of your help ! Sue

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    perhaps the pain is
    perhaps the pain is neuropathy. I have numb painful hands and feet, but my legs hurt and the docs say it is part of the neuropathy. It also may be what many people complain about and its just an all over arthritic feeling. some people take fish oil, or glucosamine. I have no experience with these supplements, but was going to try the fish oil. hope it goes away quickly for you!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    We're all different!
    I did 4 A/C and then 12 Taxol. Pain was never an issue for me. The only Neulasta (no pain) I had was on A/C - not Taxol. 1/2 way through Taxol I started having problems with not keeping enough potassium. Still do even after a year out of Chemo and I if I don't remember to take enough potassium pills I have bad cramps in ankles and feet. So you might want to check on your potassium levels.

Susan
  • Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    Options
    Rague said:

We're all different!
    I did 4 A/C and then 12 Taxol. Pain was never an issue for me. The only Neulasta (no pain) I had was on A/C - not Taxol. 1/2 way through Taxol I started having problems with not keeping enough potassium. Still do even after a year out of Chemo and I if I don't remember to take enough potassium pills I have bad cramps in ankles and feet. So you might want to check on your potassium levels.

Susan

I so know what you are going
    I so know what you are going through! I had BLMX with lymph node dissection (4 removed), 4 rounds of A/C with Neulasta after each tx; 4 rounds of Taxol with neulasta, and I just had my last neulasta shot yesterday! Some folks say that the A/C is the worst, and it was certainly no walk in the park, as I was nauseous all the time, even with the Emend, Zofran and Compazine. But I never vomited once~ The neulasta was always the culprit for me. It sends me to bed for at least 3 or 4 days. I began taking oxycodone about a month ago. Without it,the pain is unbearable! Don't listen to the people who tell you to give it up, they have no idea how much pain you are in. I'm hoping once the effects of the neulasta are gone, then I might begin to feel a little more human!

Hang in there! You are stronger than you think you are~

"May you be at Peace, May you be free of Suffering,"
    Dianne
    _