13»

Comments

• pinkapples
    pinkapples Member Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    sitting in the corner
    Strumming a guitar.....
    Good Luck!
    I will light a candle for you tonight :)
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    pet scan
    What is this? I have had MRI and CAT but never pet..

I KNOW LONG AGO they wanted my mom to have one but insurance wouldn't cover it-so she never had it.

Do you lay in tube like other tests? etc...

just curuios!

Denise
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

pet scan

I KNOW LONG AGO they wanted my mom to have one but insurance wouldn't cover it-so she never had it.

just curuios!

Denise

Denise, this is what I found
    Denise, this is what I found on a website about a PET scan. I have had MRI's and CT scans, but, no PET scan.

A PET scan uses radiation, or nuclear medicine imaging, to produce 3-dimensional, color images of the functional processes within the human body. PET stands for positron emission tomography. The machine detects pairs of gamma rays which are emitted indirectly by a tracer (positron-emitting radionuclide) which is placed in the body on a biologically active molecule. The images are reconstructed by computer analysis. Modern machines often use a CT X-ray scan which is performed on the patient at the same time in the same machine.

PET scans can be used to diagnose a health condition, as well as for finding out how an existing condition is developing. PET scans are often used to see how effective an ongoing treatment is.

Hope this helps some!

Leeza
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    jnl said:

Denise, this is what I found on a website about a PET scan. I have had MRI's and CT scans, but, no PET scan.

A PET scan uses radiation, or nuclear medicine imaging, to produce 3-dimensional, color images of the functional processes within the human body. PET stands for positron emission tomography. The machine detects pairs of gamma rays which are emitted indirectly by a tracer (positron-emitting radionuclide) which is placed in the body on a biologically active molecule. The images are reconstructed by computer analysis. Modern machines often use a CT X-ray scan which is performed on the patient at the same time in the same machine.

PET scans can be used to diagnose a health condition, as well as for finding out how an existing condition is developing. PET scans are often used to see how effective an ongoing treatment is.

Hope this helps some!

Leeza

I have read on here where
    I have read on here where some have a PET scan after chemo to see if the chemo is shrinking the tumors. Maybe someone can verify that.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options

pet scan

just curuios!

Denise

The PET scan is usually done
    The PET scan is usually done with a CT and is called a PET/CT or a PET fusion scan. The advantage to this test is that it shows increased glucose uptake if present and the CT scan pinpoints where this increased glucose uptake is taking place.

Cancer cells eat more than a normal cell so they consume more glucose (sugar that cells utilize) and thus have increased glucose uptake.

The PET/CT scan clearly showed increased glucose uptake in my ribs in 2006, 2007 and 2009. We finally confirmed that this was indeed cancer with a rib biopsy in 2009.

See:
    How PET/CT Works
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Libby
    Hope all went well with your PET scan. You do know that the room was filled, right!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

The PET scan is usually done
    The PET scan is usually done with a CT and is called a PET/CT or a PET fusion scan. The advantage to this test is that it shows increased glucose uptake if present and the CT scan pinpoints where this increased glucose uptake is taking place.

Cancer cells eat more than a normal cell so they consume more glucose (sugar that cells utilize) and thus have increased glucose uptake.

The PET/CT scan clearly showed increased glucose uptake in my ribs in 2006, 2007 and 2009. We finally confirmed that this was indeed cancer with a rib biopsy in 2009.

See:
    How PET/CT Works

Thanks Cynthia for
    Thanks Cynthia for explaining this and for the link. You are great!

My question would be, should every bc sister have one?
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

:) Have you tried a peanut
    :) Have you tried a peanut butter bacon sandwich on toast yet? You will be HOOKED!!!

Knowing you all will be there makes these unpleasant days so much easier!!!

xoxo
    ♥♥♥♥

I love peanut butter on
    I love peanut butter on toast Libby. Can't wait to try bacon on it too! Thanks!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

Hope this helps some!

Leeza

Thanks for info...
    thanks
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

sitting in the corner
    Strumming a guitar.....
    Good Luck!
    I will light a candle for you tonight :)

Libby, do you know anything
    Libby, do you know anything yet to post?

Hugs, Debby
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Megan M said:

Thanks Cynthia for
    Thanks Cynthia for explaining this and for the link. You are great!

My question would be, should every bc sister have one?

PET done when metastasis beyond the breast suspected
    Because my tumors were in both breasts, my oncologist ordered a PET/CT for me before surgery to make sure that the cancer hadn't spread from one breast to the other, i.e., that there was no metastasis to my lungs or bones.

He made a point of saying that PETs are "terrible at detecting tumors in the breast," and are only used in breast cancer patients when metastasis is suspected, to check for cancer elsewhere. I don't expect to have another one again (and for myself, see no need for one) unless other symptoms crop up which suggest metastasis.

Hope that helps,

Traci
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Because my tumors were in both breasts, my oncologist ordered a PET/CT for me before surgery to make sure that the cancer hadn't spread from one breast to the other, i.e., that there was no metastasis to my lungs or bones.

He made a point of saying that PETs are "terrible at detecting tumors in the breast," and are only used in breast cancer patients when metastasis is suspected, to check for cancer elsewhere. I don't expect to have another one again (and for myself, see no need for one) unless other symptoms crop up which suggest metastasis.

Hope that helps,

Traci

Lots of good information on
    Lots of good information on PET scans. My oncologist had never had me get one either, so, now I understand why he didn't.

Thanks pink sisters!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

Me too bags packed what
    Me too bags packed what should I bring???????????????? Boston Baked beans to make the bus smell real good?

Thinking of you today Libby!
    Thinking of you today Libby!

Hugs, Leeza
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

Aaaaah, what is that?
    Do I hear Vicki Sam loading the bus? Well I am hopping on with
    heart full of good wishes and positive thoughts.

Hey everyone, now that we know Vicki Sam can be naughty like
    that, it promises to be an amusing ride... better hop on!

Libby, hope you make room .. HERE we come!!!

Love,
    Ayse

Libby, look at all of the
    Libby, look at all of the pink sisters that are supporting you and showing how much we love you. Stay strong!

Hugs, Diane
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Hope that helps,

Traci

Thanks Traci! A PET scan
    Thanks Traci! A PET scan hasn't been mentioned, but, I had seen others writing about them and wondered why it hadn't been mentioned to me.

Noel
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Of course
    there's a secret ingredient!! Love. All my brownies are baked with love, sweet love (which I buy in the alley over by the -- oh, never mind. Don't want to be flagged).

I'll be there.

xoxo
    Victoria

I can't wait for the
    I can't wait for the brownies Victoria!

Hugs, Jan