How was your exp. with Chemo treatments?

Options

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Ports
    Usually the decision for ports is made based on the number of treatments needed...I had 4 infusions, thus no port...More than 4 infusions my oncologist said, a port would be greatly advised...I only had a problem with the very last infusion...4 sticks..

Best wishes for your up coming treatment..

Not what I was told by my
    Not what I was told by my Chemo Dr - he wants a port for all infusions even when you have good veins to start - wants to keep them good.
  • lafera12
    lafera12 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Rague said:

Not what I was told by my
    Not what I was told by my Chemo Dr - he wants a port for all infusions even when you have good veins to start - wants to keep them good.

My port was put in two weeks before I started chemo., and I am
    so glad I had it done. It's so much easier than having the IV
    put in your veins, it was also used for all the blood tests that
    I had to have before each treatment.

Angie
  • Rague
    Options
    lafera12 said:

My port was put in two weeks before I started chemo., and I am
    so glad I had it done. It's so much easier than having the IV
    put in your veins, it was also used for all the blood tests that
    I had to have before each treatment.

Angie

I've only had my port used
    I've only had my port used with blood draws once in the 1 1/2 yr since it was put in. The Cancer Center I went to uses a 'tech' for blood draws so port can't be acessed by her. The last blood work I needed done for my 6 month appt with Chemo Dr was done at my VA clinic the same day that I needed to have port flushed, so blood was just drawn while he was doing the flush.
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your help!
    Thank you ALL for your help! The port idea wasn't even mentioned to me. :( I am running out of time, because I started the process for harvesting my eggs, yesterday! This takes two weeks, then I need to start the treatment. Has anyone harvested eggs? I get poked for that one too! But so far so good. ;)

The reason why I panic is because I saw two family members go through this (chemo) - and it was TOUGH on them. Of course, they were older. The disease was also advanced. So I think there was a mix that led me to think chemo would be the end of the world. Perhaps it was the disease?

I am getting AC first, followed by T (total of 8 sessions). Any thoughts on these combos?

Thank you ALL.

Love.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    camul said:

Just finished #6
    This time around is easier than the first time. I get nauseaed, but am able to function. Get very tired and my legs ache, but all very do-able. Hard part is when I can't sleep for a couple of days following treatment, then I tend to get down, but was able to take something this last week when I went to bed and it worked. So I keep my ears open on this site for 'helpful hints'.

My head can tend to feel a little cloudy, but am able to laugh that one off! Overall, I think chemo has come a long way in 9 years! I should take stock in Charmin, but not pampers!

You can do it!
    Carol

I wanted to wish you good
    I wanted to wish you good luck with chemo! Praying for no side effects for you!

Hugs, Megan
  • Rague
    Options

Thank you ALL for your help! The port idea wasn't even mentioned to me. :( I am running out of time, because I started the process for harvesting my eggs, yesterday! This takes two weeks, then I need to start the treatment. Has anyone harvested eggs? I get poked for that one too! But so far so good. ;)

The reason why I panic is because I saw two family members go through this (chemo) - and it was TOUGH on them. Of course, they were older. The disease was also advanced. So I think there was a mix that led me to think chemo would be the end of the world. Perhaps it was the disease?

I am getting AC first, followed by T (total of 8 sessions). Any thoughts on these combos?

Thank you ALL.

Love.

4 A/C - 12 Taxol
    I did 4 A/C followed by surgery, 12 weekly Taxol followed by 25 Rads. For me, the A/C wasn't bad - the Taxol was but I'm still here and riding NED over a year after last TX.

Didn't have any eggs collected - was 18 years into menopause when DX'd.

Age certainly can have an effect on how you handle something - in some cases. I'm old - 64 - but I'm a lot more active than many 1/2 my age.

There are some who had their port put in the same day as they started Chemo; mine was put in the day before.

Susan
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options
    Rague said:

4 A/C - 12 Taxol
    I did 4 A/C followed by surgery, 12 weekly Taxol followed by 25 Rads. For me, the A/C wasn't bad - the Taxol was but I'm still here and riding NED over a year after last TX.

Didn't have any eggs collected - was 18 years into menopause when DX'd.

Age certainly can have an effect on how you handle something - in some cases. I'm old - 64 - but I'm a lot more active than many 1/2 my age.

There are some who had their port put in the same day as they started Chemo; mine was put in the day before.

Susan

Not so good
    If anything could go wrong it did, however I am one of those rare cases.
    I was allergic to the coctail and it was not good for me at all.
    However, I made it through with all the problems that I had and would'nt of changed my decision too have chemo, well I guess I really did'nt have a choice.
    Good luck with your egg harvesting, and your treatments.
    Lots of Hugs Karie
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

Your questions...
    I was extremely stressed about chemo. Now, 13 days after #1 - Yes I can move, anywhere, I've never been incapacitated; no I don't need pampers; my head feels fine except had a mild headache for a few day. Your questions seem a little extreme; where did you read these awful things? The best thing you can do is HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE. I drank 17 8 ox cups of water from the morning of chemo thru that night. I'd been doing at least 12 for a few days prior, as advised by the ladies here.

Some people react more strongly, we all respond uniquely and the chemo cocktails vary. But you should not experience anything even close to these you've listed. The worst part is the apprehension, fear, because chemo once was more difficult but now they do it with more prevention of side effects in mind.

I'm totally up and around, have strong food cravings now, get tired easily, sometimes flu-y feelings come over me but I lay down and it goes away. The first few days were the most unpleasant mostly because of being so tired and a bad taste in my mouth and a general yuckiness. However snacking every couple hours really helps, A LOT - keeping something in my stomach makes me feel better. OK, hope this helps; you'll be OKAY! (if you HDRATE!!) The worst is the word "chemo".
    hugs,
    LynD

Drink LOTS of water! Good
    Drink LOTS of water! Good luck!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options

Thank you ALL.

Love.

Hi and let me add my welcome
    Hi and let me add my welcome to you :)
    I'm 35, also had IDC, stage 2. I had 6 rounds of chemo, like you I had the AC combo for 4, then 2 treatments of Taxotere. It was no walk in the park but definately do-able. I would consider asking your doctor about getting a port. I had one and have seen the infusion nurses struggling to find a vein on different patients who did not have one, and one lady in particular, an elderly lady, who ended up in tears. They say your veins get worse after chemo. You can actually get your port accessed right away if need be, my mom (who was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months after I was) had her port placed the day before her 1st chemo. The first one is scary -you just don't know what to expect. Here's my experience with AC and Taxotere: first off -the nurses in the infustion room will do all they can to make you comfortable. Snacks, drinks, heated blankets -be sure to tell them of any side effects also, they probably have a cream or a pill for anything you may experience. I never vomited from chemo -not during my infustions or in the days afterward. I experienced light nausea -you will probably get steroid pills that you will take for 2 or 3 days after each chemo to prevent nausea. I also had anti nausea pills to take as needed. I did get constipated in the beginning, I took Senokot S every night after that initial chemo -it's a stool softener + laxative so it helps you "go" and doesnt give you the painful cramps laxatives can. I had a hard time sleeping from being on the steroids and my Onc. gave me a prescription for sleeping meds that really helped. I lost my hair starting about day 15 after my 1st treatment. My scalp was sore & tingly for a few days before & during the hair loss. When close to half of my hair fell out, i had my husband just shave my head. I was shedding all over the place & it just looked bad. Shaving my head put me back in control. The worst side effect that I had was just sheer exhaustion. It got worse as my treatments went on. Just felt exhausted and weak. I had to have a shot of Neulasta after each chemo (it boosts your white blood cell count), and I would get pretty bad bone pain , mostly in my legs & arms, from that. I did have a somewhat unique reaction to the chemo -at least my Onc told me it wasn't very common - I had really bad back pain, from my neck all the way down my spine, and across my shoulders & the top of my back. I was on painkillers the entire time I was going through chemo. Like it was said before -hydrate hydrate hydrate. My taste buds got really wacky about halfway through chemo (even worse on Taxotere), so I just ate & drank whatever I could taste & tolerate. There was a time period when i mostly ate white cheddar popcorn and drank diet dr. pepper -because that was the only thing I could actually taste at the time! For me, the AC was harder to tolerate than the taxotere was. I didn't have the sheer exhaustion on taxotere like i did on AC. I didn't have the constipation on taxotere, either. My hair started growing back when I stopped having AC, also. One thing about Taxotere, though - i developed a very red & painful rash on the palms of my hands the day after each infusion. It is pretty common, though, and I started taking prednisone right away before the rashes got too bad. One thing to remember, is that everyone's chemo experience & side effects are different. Another thing is to tell your nurses RIGHT AWAY of any side effects you are experiencing -they can give you meds for them and/or adjust your chemo if necessary. Also remember that we are here for you :) The best answers for you will be right here, from all of us who have been through it already. Best of luck to you, you'll get through that first one & realize that it wasn't as bad as you had imagined, and the rest of them will go by quickly & with less anxiety for you.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • nikie713
    nikie713 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I'm 35, also had IDC, stage 2. I had 6 rounds of chemo, like you I had the AC combo for 4, then 2 treatments of Taxotere. It was no walk in the park but definately do-able. I would consider asking your doctor about getting a port. I had one and have seen the infusion nurses struggling to find a vein on different patients who did not have one, and one lady in particular, an elderly lady, who ended up in tears. They say your veins get worse after chemo. You can actually get your port accessed right away if need be, my mom (who was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months after I was) had her port placed the day before her 1st chemo. The first one is scary -you just don't know what to expect. Here's my experience with AC and Taxotere: first off -the nurses in the infustion room will do all they can to make you comfortable. Snacks, drinks, heated blankets -be sure to tell them of any side effects also, they probably have a cream or a pill for anything you may experience. I never vomited from chemo -not during my infustions or in the days afterward. I experienced light nausea -you will probably get steroid pills that you will take for 2 or 3 days after each chemo to prevent nausea. I also had anti nausea pills to take as needed. I did get constipated in the beginning, I took Senokot S every night after that initial chemo -it's a stool softener + laxative so it helps you "go" and doesnt give you the painful cramps laxatives can. I had a hard time sleeping from being on the steroids and my Onc. gave me a prescription for sleeping meds that really helped. I lost my hair starting about day 15 after my 1st treatment. My scalp was sore & tingly for a few days before & during the hair loss. When close to half of my hair fell out, i had my husband just shave my head. I was shedding all over the place & it just looked bad. Shaving my head put me back in control. The worst side effect that I had was just sheer exhaustion. It got worse as my treatments went on. Just felt exhausted and weak. I had to have a shot of Neulasta after each chemo (it boosts your white blood cell count), and I would get pretty bad bone pain , mostly in my legs & arms, from that. I did have a somewhat unique reaction to the chemo -at least my Onc told me it wasn't very common - I had really bad back pain, from my neck all the way down my spine, and across my shoulders & the top of my back. I was on painkillers the entire time I was going through chemo. Like it was said before -hydrate hydrate hydrate. My taste buds got really wacky about halfway through chemo (even worse on Taxotere), so I just ate & drank whatever I could taste & tolerate. There was a time period when i mostly ate white cheddar popcorn and drank diet dr. pepper -because that was the only thing I could actually taste at the time! For me, the AC was harder to tolerate than the taxotere was. I didn't have the sheer exhaustion on taxotere like i did on AC. I didn't have the constipation on taxotere, either. My hair started growing back when I stopped having AC, also. One thing about Taxotere, though - i developed a very red & painful rash on the palms of my hands the day after each infusion. It is pretty common, though, and I started taking prednisone right away before the rashes got too bad. One thing to remember, is that everyone's chemo experience & side effects are different. Another thing is to tell your nurses RIGHT AWAY of any side effects you are experiencing -they can give you meds for them and/or adjust your chemo if necessary. Also remember that we are here for you :) The best answers for you will be right here, from all of us who have been through it already. Best of luck to you, you'll get through that first one & realize that it wasn't as bad as you had imagined, and the rest of them will go by quickly & with less anxiety for you.
    *hugs*
    Heather

Hi
    Thank you for the informative posting. I just had my first of four AC treatments yesterday. So far, and I realize that its been less then 24 hours, I am not having any symptoms except I didn't sleep much last night. But I thought that was just from rehashing everything I've been through. I guess if this continues I will have to speak to a nurse to see if I can take anything. I really like to limit my drug intake if possible. My only concern last night is was was occationally getting the warm but I am still experiencing hot flashes (from menopose) so wasn't sure it it was that or the AC. They passed very quickly so I'm thinking it was just hot flashes. I am concerned about loosing the hair but have purchased two wigs and have may hat and scarfs so I think I will handle it ok. I am scared about the side effects from the Taxotere as I hear that you can experience numbing and tingling in your hands and feet up to year after the treatments. I was glad you didn't mention that in you posting. My blessing is that I have a fantastic support group of family and friends. I'm looking forward to celebrating this fall with them at a beach home. Again, thanks for your posting, it was very informative.
    Denise
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options

*hugs*
    Heather

Sorry your freaked
    WoW so many experiences...

14 years after a battle with stage 3 triple negative with lump in breast and lump in armpit with 11 out 21 pos nodes, it saddens me so many have to follow. I have to say I just resigned myself to it because I just knew it all along though doctors tried to convince me otherwise. So fighting to be here for my son was as good as it got for me and I am grateful for everything they did and the choices I made for myself. I have gone on to over come the worst side effects and work harder something doctors never thought I would ever do. Yes I have had more trouble looming but LIFE GOES ON and either your apart of it or not and that means putting one foot in front of the other even through the treatments for sometimes that is all we can do.
    No it wasn't easy but as many say here doable. Finding people we can talk to and share this with because truly educating people along way will only help others. I am a talker and glad for it because I do not keep the crap in instead it flows out.
    Our Sister Spirits here will be a shoulder when you think no one is listening let alone understanding our thoughts.
    I am 50 now and you know it has been worth fighting for and my fight is always to over come a struggle.
    Tara
  • nikie713
    nikie713 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you ALL for your
    Thank you ALL for your honest feedback. I met the Onco today and I am getting my plan next week. Waiting to meet with an Endocrinologist to save my eggs- another tough desicion to make as I am not yet a mother. Any thoughts? I will be going on the 5-year pill after treatments - chemo and Rad.

I only have one good arm for this chemo event, and that worries me. No port - but now i am worried based on what you all said to me. :/ At the same time I am running out of time. Need those treatments in the next couple of weeks, and between the egg situation and the rest, may not have enough time for another surgery...

WISH ME LUCK GUYS!

Thanks again.

Port - make sure to have it flushed
    THis is the first time I have logged on to this website and I am glad to read all the responses. I ended up having to have a second port put in just prior to my treatments. I will say that I did have a disasterous episode with my "first" port. As it was put in at the time I had my left breast removed and this was in November 2010. I had a coupld complecations after the surgury with infections in my incisions that delayed getting my AC & T treatments started. After weeks on antibiotics I was finally able to start first treatment at the end of January. Long story short, I was never advised that I was suppose to be getting the port flushed. I never had it flushed from the time it was installed until it was used in January. Needless to say, it had quite a bit of infection collected in it that they were unaware of. I ended up in the hospital for 7 days with a serious blood infection and phenomena. They removed the port immediately. But during the 7 days in the hospital they blew several of my veins so I was at a loss for how I was going to do the Chemo. They put a pic line in my arm as I was on IV's for 28 days but that was a real pain as you are very limited with taking showers etc. So after all that was overwith, I ended up having a second power port put in this Wednesday(03/09/11)and I had my first AC treatment yesterday (03/10/11). I was a little nervous as it was still pretty tender but it worked like a charm. I believe the you would be well advised to speak to the doctor about having one put in. It is done as a out patient.. so you would probably be in and out in about 5 hours. Good luck..and I a will keep you in my thoughts.
  • LoveBabyJesus
    Options
    THANK YOU!!
    You ALL inspire me so much. I am glad I have you. Thank you for being here for me.

I am worried about the port vs. veins. I will talk to my Dr. about this. I just don't want to lose time since I need 2 weeks for egg harvesting. But I will make an effort to do what's best for me.

I will need pills to go to the bathroom - oh YES! I have internal hemorrhoids right now so I need to be careful with that. Hmmm...

Did anyone here get sores? Just wondering what to do to prevent that when time comes.

I will go on the 5-year pill, I was told. Anyone here taking that pill?

I think Ativan is my good friend! I will request to take some of that too.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Thank you again for your support and love.

Love.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

THANK YOU!!
    You ALL inspire me so much. I am glad I have you. Thank you for being here for me.

I am worried about the port vs. veins. I will talk to my Dr. about this. I just don't want to lose time since I need 2 weeks for egg harvesting. But I will make an effort to do what's best for me.

I will need pills to go to the bathroom - oh YES! I have internal hemorrhoids right now so I need to be careful with that. Hmmm...

Did anyone here get sores? Just wondering what to do to prevent that when time comes.

I will go on the 5-year pill, I was told. Anyone here taking that pill?

I think Ativan is my good friend! I will request to take some of that too.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Thank you again for your support and love.

Love.

Asking the question
    Thanks for asking the question too. I was not ready to read this right away but I thought it was time to get educated in case I need chemo. I went with a person once when she was getting her port and several times when she had chemo. She did so well when getting the port that I would get a port in a minute if I had to have chemo. So try to set that fear aside. Of course I can;t speak to chemo except that this gal was not to have ice cream. One day she had to skip her chemo so they told her to eat ice cream as she would normally not have this option. So I guess if you really love ice cream and you were on the same drug as she was it would be difficult.
  • Katmy
    Katmy Member Posts: 93
    Options
    "got your back"
    I started Chemo March 1st. When my body was reacting, I had a rough ride. My Nurse Practitioner said, "We have got your back. Whatever happens, we've got your back." Strange as that may sound, it was true. The "it" has to happen first and it is no fun, but the medical staff was always there with a remedy of sorts to relieve me. My cocktail is Taxotere and Cytoxin.

I wish you courage and faith in your nurses, doctors, etc.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Katmy said:

"got your back"
    I started Chemo March 1st. When my body was reacting, I had a rough ride. My Nurse Practitioner said, "We have got your back. Whatever happens, we've got your back." Strange as that may sound, it was true. The "it" has to happen first and it is no fun, but the medical staff was always there with a remedy of sorts to relieve me. My cocktail is Taxotere and Cytoxin.

I wish you courage and faith in your nurses, doctors, etc.

Get some Biotene mouthwash (helps prevent sores)
    and tea tree oil to swab your finger/toe nails once a day (prevents fungus).

Drink tons of water

Expect food not to taste the way it should. Try and eat fruits & veggies anyway.

If you can, get the port.

Everyone's different but I feel you'll be okay. Just know your "off" days will more than likely be day 2-3 after each Chemo session. Rest up and relax.

The oncology nurses are wonderful! Ask them anything.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • islandgirl0304
    islandgirl0304 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Mitzi333 said:

I was Also Terrified... But so far, so Good...
    I was Very fearful for the first chemo treatment, which was 2 weeks ago. It went well... very few side effects. it's Scary it went so well. I had minor pains from the leunesta for about 3 days then ok. I have my next treatment in a week and hope it goes as well as the first. So far, no hair loss, but I'm expecting it to happen soon. I have wigs ready to go. I also have a port, which made the experience Much Better. wishing You all the Best for your treatments.

Your experience
    I glad your treatment went well. I just had my head shaved today. It has been 11 days since my first treatment. I had cut my long hair to very short before my first treatment in order to donate what I could. But my hair started falling out by the handfuls and I will not lie I cried. I am a very strong woman but standing in the shower and opening my eyes and seeing that amount of hair in my hand was hard. I had asked my husband to shave it, but after two days of excuses he final told me he was afaird of cutting me. I went to a barber shop because I did not want to cry. I am a retired military woman and I knew I would not cry there. They were great and understanding. I did not want to go to a salon because they do not normal shave heads. Believe my head is not pretty, I have scars from an accident in the military. I wish I could be brave enough to walk outside with my bald head and stand proud. I worry that someone will think why can't she just cover that ugly head up. I hope you have a good experience and stay strong. You are in my thoughts and prayers. The chemo is only one part of this experience. Our hair is some much a part of who we are as woman, I know wigs will help, but they are not our own hair. God bless you.
  • islandgirl0304
    islandgirl0304 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    24242 said:

Sorry your freaked
    WoW so many experiences...

14 years after a battle with stage 3 triple negative with lump in breast and lump in armpit with 11 out 21 pos nodes, it saddens me so many have to follow. I have to say I just resigned myself to it because I just knew it all along though doctors tried to convince me otherwise. So fighting to be here for my son was as good as it got for me and I am grateful for everything they did and the choices I made for myself. I have gone on to over come the worst side effects and work harder something doctors never thought I would ever do. Yes I have had more trouble looming but LIFE GOES ON and either your apart of it or not and that means putting one foot in front of the other even through the treatments for sometimes that is all we can do.
    No it wasn't easy but as many say here doable. Finding people we can talk to and share this with because truly educating people along way will only help others. I am a talker and glad for it because I do not keep the crap in instead it flows out.
    Our Sister Spirits here will be a shoulder when you think no one is listening let alone understanding our thoughts.
    I am 50 now and you know it has been worth fighting for and my fight is always to over come a struggle.
    Tara

3 triple negative breast cancer
    I hate to ask but what treatment did you go through? I have 3triple negative breast cancer stage 2b. The have removed the lump and only one node was pos closest to the lump. But I am being told that within 5 years I have 77% chance of the cancer coming back in the breasts. I am considering complete breast tissue removal. What are your thoughts?

I am in the middle of chemo.
  • LoveBabyJesus
    Options
    Thank You
    So happy to have you all here helping me go through this. Thank you. I appreciate your time and support.

I met with my Onco today. My chemo is set up for April 1 (April's fool day!). I will meet with her again next week to go though everything I need to know before then. I have so many questions already written for her.

I have heard the second day shot is pretty strong stuff. Does it wear off after some time? Is it easy to give it to yourself? I am harvesting my eggs now and I am able to do the shots myself. Just wondering if it's as easy for the the bone marrow shot.

You all inspire me.

Love
  • Rague
    Options

Thank You
    So happy to have you all here helping me go through this. Thank you. I appreciate your time and support.

I met with my Onco today. My chemo is set up for April 1 (April's fool day!). I will meet with her again next week to go though everything I need to know before then. I have so many questions already written for her.

I have heard the second day shot is pretty strong stuff. Does it wear off after some time? Is it easy to give it to yourself? I am harvesting my eggs now and I am able to do the shots myself. Just wondering if it's as easy for the the bone marrow shot.

You all inspire me.

Love

For me - Neulasta was not
    For me - Neulasta was not bad but for some it is. All it did to me was 2 hrs after the shot (almost to the minute) I went to sleep for 2 hrs. - that was it. Had to go the pharmacy each time before i went to the Chemo unit at Ft. Meade (not where i did my Chemo but where they wanted me to do it) for the RN to give it.