To reconstruct or not after mastectomy

Options
2»

Comments

• dustylady
    dustylady Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I was all over the place at first
    Such a hard decision...at least in my case it was. I'm 59 and I had a lumpectomy 18 years ago with nodes removed and radiation...then in 2010 found I had CA again in the same breast and then learned I was BRCA2...so it was BX and oophrectomy for me in June 2010. My surgeon recommended implants...I was thinking diep flap...made the rounds to all the plastic surgeons and wasn't feeling that I wanted these options...went to the BREASTFree.com website and started warming up to the idea of no reconstruction and felt pretty good about that decision. Then I came across one more option...total reconstruction using my own fat. My husband was ok with whatever I chose...said while he liked my breasts...that's not what he loves about me!

I finally chose the fat grafting option by a plastic surgeon in Miami...didn't really enjoy the travel...but I am almost finished and glad to have my new and different breasts. Before I finally went with this option, I just kept quizzing myself about how I felt about it...I always felt very good about going this route. I think the main thing is if you are not sure what is right for you, most of these options can be done later. In fact, the doctor who did my reconstruction said several of his patients had not had breasts for years and then they came to him for reconstruction. I think some of the other methods can also be done at later dates.

Just don't pressure yourself too much.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Lampasas said:

Thanks for your comments
    Thanks for the info Linda I'm going to check out "reconstruction" in the search box and see what I find. Hope all goes well with you. I'm so glad I found this great group of gals. Best wishes, Glo in Lampasas

Wishing you good luck in
    Wishing you good luck in what you decide to do. You might want to check out breastcancer.org also. They have a special discussion group just for this.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Options
    I didn't think I wanted reconstruction.....
    I waited a year until I was ready for reconstruction surgery. I am having a fat transfer procedure that is fairly new and I am in a study for it. I have my first surgery this Friday and they will do a breast lift on my remaining breast, liposuction on my chin and my upper body. They are saving my belly fat for the second fat transfer. There is more info on this method on the Miami Breast Cancer website. The machine I am using to stretch the skin out on masectomy side is called Brava and you can read about it at www.Brava.com.

Hope this helps.
    Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    always a question
    I'm going through the same decision process. My plastic surgeon wouldn't do immediate reconstruction in case I had to have rads - I did. He felt there was too much chance of damage to the new tissue and ultimate failure of the transplanted tissue. He's now planning to use muscle and skin from my back to support an implant when he does the surgery in Sept. He was reluctant to used expanders because of the skin damage from rads. Hopefully you're dealing with a top notch pro who's done this a lot. He should discuss your options and let you know what he feels is best for you. Everyone is different. I only had one breast removed so wanted to look balanced without the heat of a prosthetic. I'm really bothered by heat so maybe that's not a problem for you. Whatever you decide, do your research and give it lots of thought.

Good Luck!
  • csr771
    csr771 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    skipper54 said:

always a question
    I'm going through the same decision process. My plastic surgeon wouldn't do immediate reconstruction in case I had to have rads - I did. He felt there was too much chance of damage to the new tissue and ultimate failure of the transplanted tissue. He's now planning to use muscle and skin from my back to support an implant when he does the surgery in Sept. He was reluctant to used expanders because of the skin damage from rads. Hopefully you're dealing with a top notch pro who's done this a lot. He should discuss your options and let you know what he feels is best for you. Everyone is different. I only had one breast removed so wanted to look balanced without the heat of a prosthetic. I'm really bothered by heat so maybe that's not a problem for you. Whatever you decide, do your research and give it lots of thought.

Good Luck!

Immediate Reconstruction - DIEP Flap
    I had a mastectomy of the left breast and immediate reconstruction. I was in surgery approximately 10 hours. The recovery process is long. However, I do not regret having the recontruction immediately. It is my understanding that you get the best result from immediate rconstruction. I think it was easier for me to have "something" there than to wake up without a breast. Not that looking at my "build-a-boob" is easy some days. Fat was taken from my abdomen. No muscle was taken. Microsurgery was involved with arteries. For anyone that may be a smoker QUIT. I had to quit smoking, deal with cancer and recover from surgery all at the same time. The benefits are that the reconstruction is done and healing (there were some issues). I got a tummy tuck and the right breast will be "tweaked" later in the year.
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    Options
    csr771 said:

Immediate Reconstruction - DIEP Flap
    I had a mastectomy of the left breast and immediate reconstruction. I was in surgery approximately 10 hours. The recovery process is long. However, I do not regret having the recontruction immediately. It is my understanding that you get the best result from immediate rconstruction. I think it was easier for me to have "something" there than to wake up without a breast. Not that looking at my "build-a-boob" is easy some days. Fat was taken from my abdomen. No muscle was taken. Microsurgery was involved with arteries. For anyone that may be a smoker QUIT. I had to quit smoking, deal with cancer and recover from surgery all at the same time. The benefits are that the reconstruction is done and healing (there were some issues). I got a tummy tuck and the right breast will be "tweaked" later in the year.

I had an immediate silicone
    I had an immediate silicone implant after my mastectomy. The Surgeon & The Plastic Surgeon teamed up and did a skin conserving mastectomy so that my own skin could cover my breast. It reduced my breast size & of course I will have to have the other altered & lifted to match once treatments done.....Only down fall is they werent really expecting me to have radiation and Onco said right off the bat that I'd probally be getting a 6 week round! Now's the chance of hardening. They didnt think that the tumor being so tiny was a problem, but some cancer had spread into 1-2 lymph nodes. The Surgeon said to wear sports bras or no bras & thats fine at home, but a pain in the butt when I try to dress up or look nice in my clothes because the other one needs a huge lift with support & it always hurts the side thats implanted to try wearing something supportive! I cant get the other side altered un till treatments over!
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've Had Reconstruction
    I waited 5 years after my awful lumpectomy that basically left me with half a breast and nipple. I just didn't want to go through any more surgery. But after 5 years and a husband who nicely, but ever so consistently "encouraged" me, I decided to do it.

Didn't think I'd feel "that much" better about myself, but as it turns out, I didn't realize how it truly effected me emotionally until after it was done. I feel SO MUCH better about myself. So much more confident and not so self-conscious. I didn't wear a bathing suit for 5 years! And I LOVE swimming!

Anyway...it comes down to a very personal choice. If it's something you really don't want and you're comfortable with your body, then don't do it. And...you can ALWAYS decide to have reconstruction if it turns out you really do miss your "girls"! LOL.

Just don't let society and doctors push you into something you really don't want.
    You're gut/heart will let you know what's truly "right" for you! I have several lady friends who chose not to have reconstruction and they are happy. :)

Blessings,
    Sally
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    As GabeNAbby Mom said
    reconstruction is not an option at time of Mast. for some of us. I too am IBC (but not triple neg.) and was told quite emphatically (by Rads, Chemo and Surgeon) that there would be no talk of reconstruction for at least a year. I didn't have bilateral just single - none of my Drs suggested Bi. I'm now 1 1/2 yrs out from surgry and want to look into recon - not sure if I am even a good candidate with the amount of lymphedema I deal with. My PA has put in for an appt with the surgeon at the VA in Minneapolis - haven't gotten a date yet for it. There is part of me that says go for it (IF I have that option) but there is another part that says why bother. If the amount of lymphedema precludes me having recon - that's find - (then that takes the decision out of my hands/mind). I will be fine either way.

Susan