What are "cancer markers" ???

jendrey
jendrey Member Posts: 377
I often see references to cancer markers. It sounds self-explanatory...where are they found? What is a normal range (0?) or is there one?

Thanks =)

Comments

• Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Excellent question. I will
    Excellent question. I will be going back to this blog to find out what others have to say. Thanks for asking.
    BL
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    markers
    My doctors don't believe in them except for some cancers (ovarian) or if b.c. has metasticized. They said there are way too many false positives which send people on wild goose chases and have them believing there is something wrong when there really isn't. I've read posts on here about markers before and if I remember correctly, it seems like about half the doctors use them and half the doctors don't.
    Linda
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    CA 15-3 antigen levels are
    CA 15-3 antigen levels are most commonly elevated in breast cancer, ovarian, lung, colorectal, and pancreatic. The "safe" margin is anything below 31.3.

CEA looks for elevated protein levels and is for the same cancers as listed above. The "safe" margins are anything between 0.1 - 4.9.

CA 125 is the marker ran to look for elevated levels that may indicate ovarian cancer.

Some doctors do these tests as a precaution while others do not. My onco does them and I ask every 6 months to have them ran. I figure if they are elevated I want to know so that other tests can be done just to be sure all is well. Hope this helps.

Hugs,

RE
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Marker tests
    I had a blood test yesterday and am waiting for the results. Mine have been on an upward trend and I am praying for them to be lower this time.
    I saw the radioncologist today after my treatment and told him I was upset about them...he said that they give about a 50% false positive which is why some doctors won't use them. My onc does so the waiting game for me begins...ugggg...hate it.
    I suppose it is a good thing but this waiting is really hard. Upset me all last night and today, just can't stop the tears from fear.
    Oh well, just another fun part of the process I guess.
    Hugs,
    JoAnn
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    RE said:

CA 15-3 antigen levels are
    CA 15-3 antigen levels are most commonly elevated in breast cancer, ovarian, lung, colorectal, and pancreatic. The "safe" margin is anything below 31.3.

CEA looks for elevated protein levels and is for the same cancers as listed above. The "safe" margins are anything between 0.1 - 4.9.

CA 125 is the marker ran to look for elevated levels that may indicate ovarian cancer.

Some doctors do these tests as a precaution while others do not. My onco does them and I ask every 6 months to have them ran. I figure if they are elevated I want to know so that other tests can be done just to be sure all is well. Hope this helps.

Hugs,

RE

Great summary, RE
    They are controversial. Many oncologists will do them to see trending information, rather than just the one number. Mine does them, but I prefer not to know my number. Unless my doctor is concerned, I don't want to know if the number went up by a few points. That can lead to a lot of heartache for no reason. All I know is that my very first CA 15-3 was 18. No news is good news....

Mimi