One year ago today....

Options
hope0310
hope0310 Member Posts: 320
My world was forever changed. My best friend, my rock, my confident, my soft place to land was diagnosed with metastic lung cancer.

For 207 days we fought the beast. We Loved. We Laughed. We Cried.

Mom I love you with all my heart and miss you every second of every day.

Thank all of you on this board for the support, advise and hugs you shared with me during that time, you are all very special people.

If I learned one thing during this journey, it was a vivid reminder at just how short life truly is. Live it....everyday.....that is what I am now doing, and mom is looking down and say "that a girl!!"

Be good to yourselves!
Elysia

Comments

• mamacita5
    mamacita5 Member Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Your Mother is Proud of You
    Your sweet angel mother is so proud of you! You have been a wonderful support to many of us who have had lung cancer. You are also a great source of comfort to those people who are supporting their friends and family members who have it.
  • hope0310
    Options
    mamacita5 said:

Your Mother is Proud of You
    Your sweet angel mother is so proud of you! You have been a wonderful support to many of us who have had lung cancer. You are also a great source of comfort to those people who are supporting their friends and family members who have it.

Thank you mamacita, tough
    Thank you mamacita, tough road, very tough. My life has been changed forever, and some of those changes are good. The loss stings like the dickens, but the lessons learned are priceless!!

Life is too short, live, love laugh!!

Be good to yourselves
    Elysia
  • mrsbotch
    mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
    Options
    hope0310 said:

Thank you mamacita, tough
    Thank you mamacita, tough road, very tough. My life has been changed forever, and some of those changes are good. The loss stings like the dickens, but the lessons learned are priceless!!

Life is too short, live, love laugh!!

Be good to yourselves
    Elysia

Lost my husband
    I just lost my husband on Feb 23rd after a long battle with esophageal cancer. I miss him so much and do not know how to go on without him.
    He was my best friend and the love of my life.

Hope 0310
    You send inspirational messages. I need to know. Do things ever get easier? Will I ever feel good again?

Barb
  • 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    Options
    mrsbotch said:

Lost my husband
    I just lost my husband on Feb 23rd after a long battle with esophageal cancer. I miss him so much and do not know how to go on without him.

Hope 0310
    You send inspirational messages. I need to know. Do things ever get easier? Will I ever feel good again?

Barb

It'll get easier
    Barb,
    It will get easier, I promise. My husband died last Mar. 25th and I felt like I was going to crack up. We were married 46 years and he was the love of my life. He had always been healthy so when this "cancer" struck in January, I figured he'd beat it. Never thought he'd be gone in 2 months. It was a traumatic death because of Avastin one of his chemos which he only had one time.
    Are you seeing a counselor??? I did that for 10 months and had to be put on meds also. It helped alot. I never would've believed anyone if they would have told me how I'd feel today. I've been crying again lately, simply cause of the "one year" anniversary coming up. Just a little thing can set me off. I'm sure that will pass & i'll be okay again.
    Just take one day at a time. It will be easier although you will never forget him.
    Hope to hear from you!!! Carole
  • hope0310
    Options
    mrsbotch said:

Lost my husband

Hope 0310

Barb

Too soon....
    mrsbotch - it has been a mere 5 month and a half months. I cannot honestly say that it has gotten easier yet. However, I know that my mom wants me to be happy and live my life without regrets.

She would not want me to stagnate and loose my joy for life. So, with that in my heart, I try to focus on it.

Let me share this poem with you.....I read it often. Be good to yourself, that is what your best friend and soul mate would want......

Elysia

Death is nothing at all
    I have only slipped away into the next room
    I am I and you are you
    Whatever we were to each other
    That we are still
    Call me by my old familiar name
    Speak to me in the easy way you always used
    Put no difference into your tone
    Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
    Laugh as we always laughed
    At the little jokes we always enjoyed together
    Play, smile, think of me, pray for me
    Let my name be ever the household word that it always was
    Let it be spoken without effort
    Without the ghost of a shadow in it
    Life means all that it ever meant
    It is the same as it ever was
    There is absolute unbroken continuity
    What is death but a negligible accident?
    Why should I be out of mind
    Because I am out of sight?
    I am waiting for you for an interval
    Somewhere very near
    Just around the corner
    All is well.
    Nothing is past; nothing is lost
    One brief moment and all will be as it was before
    How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!

Canon Henry Scott-Holland, 1847-1918, Canon of St Paul's Cathedral