Chemo Brain

Hi there,
I am an 'almost' 5 year survivor of Stage 2 breast cancer. I have chemo brain, some days it's much worse than others. Other days I'm almost normal. I was wondering if anyone knew why some days are worse than others. My brother, who is a lot older than me and 'considered' to be very intellegent recently accused me of being on 'street drugs' in front of the entire family. As if. Yet not one of them googled chemo brain. It's infuriating sometimes.

Comments

• pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    HI Freebird, First I want to
    HI Freebird, First I want to say congratulations on 5 years!! That's wonderful. I had 4 A/C and 11 Taxol in 2009-2010 and it affected my brain big time! Like you, some days are worse than others, some days are totally normal. I often wondered if it would ever get any better, then, last month they found mets in my bones, so back on chemo I go. Sorry you have been accused of street drugs, that's not fair! However; you may want to give them some information on chemo brain, there is plenty available online and in the docs offices.
    Miles of Love,
    ~Kari
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Yes, count me in.
    I have most definitely experienced that and just like you said, some days it seems to be worse. I can forget a word mid-sentence!

I have read so many accounts of others experiencing the same thing, it just makes sense that Chemo has a lot to do with it. And Menopause can also play a role in "fogging" the brain as well.

I suggest you send your brother a list of sites he can visit to educate himself further on this topic.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    sea60 said:

Yes, count me in.
    I have most definitely experienced that and just like you said, some days it seems to be worse. I can forget a word mid-sentence!

I have read so many accounts of others experiencing the same thing, it just makes sense that Chemo has a lot to do with it. And Menopause can also play a role in "fogging" the brain as well.

I suggest you send your brother a list of sites he can visit to educate himself further on this topic.

Hugs,

Sylvia

Freebird welcome to our
    Freebird welcome to our boards you are in good company. I completed my last chemo on 3/30/10 and chemo brain is alive and well. There are quite a few posts on the boards lately regarding this topic. You are not alone and yes it does exist.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    crown me and call mel "Miss Chemo Brain"
    I would make a nice poster child for chemo brain. Can we say, left the house 3x times
    without car keyes, finally found my phone in my oven, once car keys in my freezer,
    go to a room and forget why I went there... but these I am ok with, I can hide these.
    But I can't stand when I forget a word, I can picture it in my head but I simply can not
    get it out. Or in mid sentence I forget what to heck I was rambling on about. And often
    I will transpose word say left when I mean right, instead of checking account I will
    say accounting check... this is infuriating - I sound like an I***T.

But best one yet... you ready for this? I think this will get me the crown for Miss
    Chemo brain!!! Ok this was almost 6 months ago, I was making scrambled egss,
    easy enough, ya think? So there goes the olive oil, check, salt, a dash of pepper..
    Ok something is missing?? But what? Yep, I really, really forgot to put egges in
    "scrambled eggs". So don't feel bad. I thiiink.. I am getting better but not certain
    since I don't eat eggs anymore.. (:

I laugh, you know since laughing is supposed to be the best medicine.
    Ok Ladies, I want your vote. Do I get my crown???

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    aysemari said:

crown me and call mel "Miss Chemo Brain"
    I would make a nice poster child for chemo brain. Can we say, left the house 3x times
    without car keyes, finally found my phone in my oven, once car keys in my freezer,
    go to a room and forget why I went there... but these I am ok with, I can hide these.
    But I can't stand when I forget a word, I can picture it in my head but I simply can not
    get it out. Or in mid sentence I forget what to heck I was rambling on about. And often
    I will transpose word say left when I mean right, instead of checking account I will
    say accounting check... this is infuriating - I sound like an I***T.

But best one yet... you ready for this? I think this will get me the crown for Miss
    Chemo brain!!! Ok this was almost 6 months ago, I was making scrambled egss,
    easy enough, ya think? So there goes the olive oil, check, salt, a dash of pepper..
    Ok something is missing?? But what? Yep, I really, really forgot to put egges in
    "scrambled eggs". So don't feel bad. I thiiink.. I am getting better but not certain
    since I don't eat eggs anymore.. (:

I laugh, you know since laughing is supposed to be the best medicine.
    Ok Ladies, I want your vote. Do I get my crown???

Hugs,
    Ayse

5 years and counting! This is wonderful
    along with giving many women hope. Hope for a life after breast cancer! Thank you for sharing.

Like many others, I lost my mind during chemo infusion .. hoped to get it back after completing my chemo .. No luck . Finished TCH 12/20/09, finished year long Herceptin 8/18/10. I lost my keys, wallet (left in a grocery shopping cart - Albertsons called me to inform me that my wallet had been turned in, all credit cards and $$ still in wallet), locked myself out of my home - several times, forgot telephone numbers, social security numbers .. things that I call recall any time of day. My memory suffered. I knew what I wanted to say, but could not formulate the word to come out of my month. I would just cry .. My family resorted to saying 'find that thingy for Mom', or get that thingy .. it was cute, even funny at first .. then it became irritating! Then there is the fact that I constantly .. repeat myself.

I stopped reading books, watching wheel of fortune or jeopardy. Spelling, grammar = all went out the window. I was at times, embarrassed to post here on our Support Site .. then I decide .. hellllll, I going to anyways. Could I solve puzzles and answer questions while watching both shows - before chemo == Yes, in deed.

I didn't drive for over a year, as I became disoriented = confused, and scared -- so I handed over my keys. Difficult to lose my independence. Started to cook using post-it notes on -- to remind myself when food would be ready, or when I needed to start a white sauce, so our food would be ready. Ruined, burnt many of dinners and breakfast! LOL

I feel I am a little better, yes. Will I ever get back to 'Vicki' before chemo, I don't know? So I try everyday to change up my routine (entering grocery store and shopping from opposite end of store), changing up my driving route to and from errands, anything that will exercise both sides of my brain. I am now starting to read books beyond the 'go dog go' series, and find pleasure in short stories offered in magazines. I could concentrate on short stories, 1 year ago.

Chemo Brain is REAL, and the lasting efforts need to be further researched. My humble opinion.

Vicki Sam